C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Back to electrical question/problem? C1

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:15 PM
wib1961
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Back to electrical question/problem? C1

Ok, here is where I am... 3/4 weeks ago I installed a fuse link on the battery side of the ammeter(used the proper size etc.) Drove the car limited for a couple of weeks. No problem. On an evening drive I pulled the light switch on and noticed a draw on the ammeter at speed. Thought that the ammeter should be at zero when cruzing at 45/50 mph with lights on . Correct? Then noticed that ammeter NEVER went above zero at any time. I'm sure that it used to show a slight charge when first starting up and then went back to zero. I checked the battery at idle speed (before I went on vacation) and found it to be 15+. Reported this here on the forum and was told too high. I agree. Left on vacation and returned this weekend to resume work on the situation. First checked the battery with digital VM at idle again and found it to be 14.2. WTF?Decided to remove the in line fuse link and no change (meaning the ammeter still never shows a charge and shows a discharge with lights on and cruzing speed). Am I nuts and the ammeter should show a discharge when lights on and cruzing down the highway? Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 PM
wib1961
Burning Brakes

ttt
Old 07-10-2010, 09:01 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

On my '62, with modern Halogen lights on high beam, plus radio and maybe heater, yes, too much for the generator to cope with. Flick the high beams off and gauge moves (slightly) to the charge side. Don't think you have anything unusual going on. Bob
Old 07-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,089 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

Your idle voltage appears to be reading properly now. You may want to verify your ammeter readings under load...say turn the high beams on and rev the motor to 3000 RPM and take a voltage reading at the battery. You could possibly have a voltage regulator problem and there are tests for this component in the '61 Passenger Car Manual IIRC.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:46 PM
wib1961
Burning Brakes

OK guy's, thanks for the replies. I'll do more checking tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Back to electrical question/problem? C1

Quick Reply: Back to electrical question/problem? C1