C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sounds kind of Crazy but "period correct wheel weights"

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:20 AM
60 Gasser
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds kind of Crazy but "period correct wheel weights"

Just mailed off about 25 "Micro" brand wheel weights in the ounce marking --- not dual with ounce & gram weight on them.

I'm in no way a true restorer, is this the level that judges look at ? The local scrap yard owner here just sent two 5 gallon buckets off to be melted a few days before I asked him about lead weights. He'll be saving them now.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:06 AM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Judging aside, if they are really correct, who wouldn't want them. Question is, are the prices reasonable enough
Old 10-26-2010, 01:24 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

It's hard to say where it will end ,follow the money will tell the story in time. How fare a future JM will go into detail will set the price down the road .
Old 10-26-2010, 02:02 AM
60 Gasser
Intermediate

Default Wheel weight prices

I felt kind of bad but I spent about 3 hours going though the 3 one gallon cans of weights I got with a bubble balancer 30 years ago & wire brushing the weights to make sure what i was sending him.

$20 shipped = kind my cost in retirement fun, approx $8.00/hr. 3 pounds of weights.

Business planning-operation is certainly not my forte. it's nice to help someone out. He seemed satisfied.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 AM
1Sweet66
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I remember correctly there was a pretty detailed article in the NCRS Restorer a while back documenting how to date these wheel weights. Not sure if they judge these or not but it does seem kind of extreme.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In the 1963-67 NCRS JM the wheel weights are Judged.
There was an article in the NCRS Restored about wheel weights. If you are trying keep your point total high, wheel weights are an easy and cheep way to keep your points. Remember in the NCRS all cars start out with 100% of there points, its up to you to try and retain as many points as you can.
Bill
Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,582 Likes on 819 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Forgive my ignorance but I'm trying to make some sense (if there's any to be made) of this wheel weight/NCRS thing. Who's to say what weights and how many weights were on which wheels or whether the wheels had any weights at all when it left the factory? Each tire/wheel/car combo would be different, right? It's not something that would be documented on a trim tag or anywhere else on the car, is it?

Why not just submit your car for judging with no weights on the wheels at all? Or do the NCRS judges assume that every car would have had at least a couple of weights on the wheels when it left the factory and, therefore, give a point deduction for having no weights?

I joined NCRS a few months back. I enjoy reading the Driveline and Corvette Restorer and I've learned a lot. I also like getting a discount on publications I buy through NCRS. However, I'm having trouble getting my mind around some of the judging stuff.

Thanks,
-- Steve
Old 10-26-2010, 01:12 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO issues with the NCRS judging standards and guidelines. Keep in mind, the standard by which a Corvette is judged, or compared, within the NCRS guidelines for Flight judging, is the way the car was delivered from the factory. I am perfectly OK with that. ACTUALLY, I really enjoy looking at a Corvette (or a Chevelle, or a 56 T-bird, or a 66 HEMI car, or a 40 Ford convertible, or a 51 Hudson, or whatever) that has been VERY correctly restored (or maintained) as it was the very day that the car was first delivered to the customer. It provides a time capsule to allow us to see what was really installed on the car at the factory.
I have NO grief with a modified or personalized car if that's the way the owner wants it. Although, I have seen some cars taken to extremes that are not compatable with my taste. Some of us-----------yes, me included----------want a bigger engine than the original factory installed engine, or bigger tires, or a different color, or a Muncie instead of a heavy cast iron PG tranny. That's fine (and in some cases, better).
Where I DO HAVE lots of conflict is the **** retentive folks that look down their noses at other people who choose to own something that is a little different. That's a politically correct observation. My personal observation of those people is that they can kiss my @--!

Tom Parsons
Old 10-26-2010, 02:20 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
Forgive my ignorance but I'm trying to make some sense (if there's any to be made) of this wheel weight/NCRS thing. Who's to say what weights and how many weights were on which wheels or whether the wheels had any weights at all when it left the factory? Each tire/wheel/car combo would be different, right? It's not something that would be documented on a trim tag or anywhere else on the car, is it?
Don't get all in a wad over wheel weights - they're only ONE point out of 4510 for the whole car. 99% of cars had at least one weight on each wheel, and experienced judges know what they looked like (see the "Restorer" article). The deduction for a lighter that doesn't "pop" or washers that don't squirt is 25 times the deduction for non-typical wheel weights.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:36 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Next we will be looking for " period correct " grease, dust,air for the tires, valve stems, and anti freeze will be judged by color and chemical content.

Then of course owners will be required to wear a tag on the car stating " This vehicle not equipped for judging " if you don't have your Bloomington gold certificate proudly displayed.

When I think we have reached the bottom of the " sanity barrel " someone comes along with period correct wheel weights. Next it will be .. Do your speakers sound better on 60s songs vs the current music?

I thought the max wedge and hemi people were way overboard collecting numbers and pentastar designations......... but they could learn a thing or three here.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:46 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Process Improvement

Perhaps the Internet Brands programmers who maintain the corvette forum software could create a list of people who disagree with NCRS, and then anytime someone posts a question about NCRS the forum software could automatically add the signature "The following people think this and the people who follow it, is/are stupid: <name1> <name2> <name3>"

It sure would cut down on the amount grief the NCRS threads seem to give people.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi everybody! Just wishing everyone a wonderful Tuesday. Isn't it great to be alive?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:59 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Sweet66
If I remember correctly there was a pretty detailed article in the NCRS Restorer a while back documenting how to date these wheel weights. Not sure if they judge these or not but it does seem kind of extreme.
I've got plenty of the correct MICRO wheel weights, but I'm having a dickens of a time finding weights with the correct date code!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
When I think we have reached the bottom of the " sanity barrel " someone comes along with period correct wheel weights.
Oh, it's you again - I guess I'll have to explain. Wheel weights have been part of NCRS and Bloomington Gold judging for over 30 years - it's nothing new. If you're not into judging, don't worry about it.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Is it true that some '67s small blocks came with big blocks weights or is that all just another phony story?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:59 PM
saraholt61
Instructor

somebody told me that there is a new NCRS judging regulation that stipulates that the tire should be inflated with the original air from the sixties depending on the year of your car-for example if you own a 66 then extra points will be given if you can prove your tires have air from 1966. This is possible to prove using carbon dating techniques yet it costs about $4000 per tire to prove-Is this true???
Old 10-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The question was asked if the weights were judged and the answer is yes they are judged.
I enjoy this web site but what I don't get is the guys that want to knock the NCRS for the way their judging is set up. If you don't like the game don't play it. Nobdy is telling you what to do with "your" Corvette. There is a lot of knowledge in the NCRS folks and most of them share it with the guys on this web site when they are asked. They don't ask if your car is modified or not they just willing share there knowledge..
Just my 2 cents worth.

Get notified of new replies

To Sounds kind of Crazy but "period correct wheel weights"

Old 10-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,734 Likes on 812 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO issues with the NCRS judging standards and guidelines. Keep in mind, the standard by which a Corvette is judged, or compared, within the NCRS guidelines for Flight judging, is the way the car was delivered from the factory. I am perfectly OK with that. ACTUALLY, I really enjoy looking at a Corvette (or a Chevelle, or a 56 T-bird, or a 66 HEMI car, or a 40 Ford convertible, or a 51 Hudson, or whatever) that has been VERY correctly restored (or maintained) as it was the very day that the car was first delivered to the customer. It provides a time capsule to allow us to see what was really installed on the car at the factory.
I have NO grief with a modified or personalized car if that's the way the owner wants it. Although, I have seen some cars taken to extremes that are not compatable with my taste. Some of us-----------yes, me included----------want a bigger engine than the original factory installed engine, or bigger tires, or a different color, or a Muncie instead of a heavy cast iron PG tranny. That's fine (and in some cases, better).
Where I DO HAVE lots of conflict is the **** retentive folks that look down their noses at other people who choose to own something that is a little different. That's a politically correct observation. My personal observation of those people is that they can kiss my @--!

Tom Parsons
Tom:

I have told you time and time, again, to please quit sugar coating your opinions on this Forum.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 10-26-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,734 Likes on 812 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Is it true that some '67s small blocks came with big blocks weights or is that all just another phony story?
In Noland Ad......."there was a short time frame when the lead pots used in making the SB weights developed a crack and for three days the weights with the large bulges with small stinger stripes were used in their place".

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 10-26-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrs 427
Next we will be looking for " period correct " grease, dust,air for the tires, valve stems, and anti freeze will be judged by color and chemical content.

Then of course owners will be required to wear a tag on the car stating " This vehicle not equipped for judging " if you don't have your Bloomington gold certificate proudly displayed.

When I think we have reached the bottom of the " sanity barrel " someone comes along with period correct wheel weights. Next it will be .. Do your speakers sound better on 60s songs vs the current music?

I thought the max wedge and hemi people were way overboard collecting numbers and pentastar designations......... but they could learn a thing or three here.
Valve stems are judged ! Stewy

Quick Reply: Sounds kind of Crazy but "period correct wheel weights"