C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Side Exhaust Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:26 AM
mscaggs
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Side Exhaust Options

Looking to buy some side exhaust for my 67 SBC. What I am wondering of course is who has the best deals? Should I go with 2" or 2 1/2"? standard or stainless? Certain brand better than others?

Thank you in advance.

Mike
Nashville
Old 11-19-2010, 11:51 AM
yukonranger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One guy's opinion...Once you move away from original, you might as well buy the best functioning parts (stainless). A word of caution though, you will lose power compared to undercar systems with anything approaching a livable sound level. GM factory sidepipes reportedly cost 20hp compared to stock undercar exhaust and 40hp compared to the stock undercar system.

Originally Posted by mscaggs
Looking to buy some side exhaust for my 67 SBC. What I am wondering of course is who has the best deals? Should I go with 2" or 2 1/2"? standard or stainless? Certain brand better than others?

Thank you in advance.

Mike
Nashville
Old 11-19-2010, 12:19 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,928 Likes on 1,933 Posts

You're running out of options pretty fast: Hooker has discontinued their side exhaust, and only a few companies (like Summit) have a few of their remnant sets in stock. Once gone, you're left with custom manufacturers.

I hope and assume you've read my threads about the Hooker sidemount headers...

Lars
Old 11-19-2010, 12:20 PM
mscaggs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lars
You're running out of options pretty fast: Hooker has discontinued their side exhaust, and only a few companies (like Summit) have a few of their remnant sets in stock. Once gone, you're left with custom manufacturers.

I hope and assume you've read my threads about the Hooker sidemount headers...

Lars
I was looking at a set of SS side exhaust from Corvette Central so far. There does not seem to be a shortage there from what I have been told...

Mike
Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

If you have a 67 SB, you have 2" exhaust manifolds. So you'll have to go with a 2" system. Seems the best way to go is to get classic chambered mufflers, buy the head pipes and tips, and have an muffler shop..etc..fabricate your side pipes. You'll want to get the side exhuast covers from the vendor on the east coast that recently started to reproduce the covers with new tooling. I'm sure someone can chime in with what vender that is, or you can do a forum search.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:46 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my replacement s/p from Ecklers 10 years ago, no problems so far.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mscaggs
I was looking at a set of SS side exhaust from Corvette Central so far. There does not seem to be a shortage there from what I have been told...

Mike
NOOOOO, do not buy the CC exhaust-sounds horrible-lots or rapping and back popping. I left those pipes on my car for all of one drive and then took them off.
Assuming you want original style side exhaust

Go with Allens aluminized original sound. They are wonderful-not too loud, not too soft.
If you want hookers, i have a set of their pipes in my garage-brand new that i purchased for a cobra exhaust project a few years ago. I can dig them out and take pics for you if interested.

Here is a video of my allens pipes at idle-click picture to play

Old 11-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

BTW, you are not going to lose enough horsepower to feel it-i would say maybe 10 at the flywheel max.

I wouldnt bother going with class** chambered pipes. His HP gain claims are total crapola. I dont understand why someone would go through the trouble of building their own pipes for a 327 street car when they you can purchase them ready to bolt in.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:12 PM
vettn
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Gardner Exhaust has started making sidepipes and think they have duplicated the GM sound.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:36 PM
BuffaloBILL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with Allens aluminized original sound. They are wonderful-not too loud, not too soft.

:

Great vendor They threw in the correct Rear pannel whole set up around 1800.00 plus shiping

BuffaloBILL
Originally Posted by Corbrastang
NOOOOO, do not buy the CC exhaust-sounds horrible-lots or rapping and back popping. I left those pipes on my car for all of one drive and then took them off.
Assuming you want original style side exhaust

If you want hookers, i have a set of their pipes in my garage-brand new that i purchased for a cobra exhaust project a few years ago. I can dig them out and take pics for you if interested.

Here is a video of my allens pipes at idle-click picture to play

Old 11-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Five Window
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had Classic Chambered pipes on my car for four years now and there is nothing about them I'd fault. The set I ran initially (3 years) was 2 1/4" straight chambered. Sound was great but too loud for long rides. I now run 2 1/2" Vette Packs, with 20" of glasspack after the chambers. Really deep sound, no problem on long drives. I have never gotten anything but compliments on the sound of either. I run a crossover under the oil pan. It took a good exhaust man no more than an hour to hook them to my headers. The 2 1/4" fit beneath my original covers, for the 2 1/2" I ran a 3/8" aluminum spacer the length of the cover mount strip.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Five Window
I have had Classic Chambered pipes on my car for four years now and there is nothing about them I'd fault. The set I ran initially (3 years) was 2 1/4" straight chambered. Sound was great but too loud for long rides. I now run 2 1/2" Vette Packs, with 20" of glasspack after the chambers. Really deep sound, no problem on long drives. I have never gotten anything but compliments on the sound of either. I run a crossover under the oil pan. It took a good exhaust man no more than an hour to hook them to my headers. The 2 1/4" fit beneath my original covers, for the 2 1/2" I ran a 3/8" aluminum spacer the length of the cover mount strip.
I am running factory big block side pipes. They only have 1-7/8" of flow path. I just ordered a set of Classic Chambered Vettepacks, but they are going to modify them for me. They will have the normal 20" of chambered section, but they are making the resonator section 26" instead of 20". They will have 2-1/2" of flow path.

We'll see how they work/sound when I put them on in the spring.

Gerry
Old 11-19-2010, 03:13 PM
mscaggs
Burning Brakes

Thank you everyone for your input. I plan to call Allen's and speak with them next week about a package. I'm in no hurry and have not setteled on anything yet but it sounds like the guys with Allens are very happy.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:45 PM
mscaggs
Burning Brakes

Just talked to Allen's and they are going to treat me very good. Thanks to all for the great tips as usual...

Mike
Nashville
Old 11-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Good choice-you will not be disappointed.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
BTW, you are not going to lose enough horsepower to feel it-i would say maybe 10 at the flywheel max.

I wouldnt bother going with class** chambered pipes. His HP gain claims are total crapola. I dont understand why someone would go through the trouble of building their own pipes for a 327 street car when they you can purchase them ready to bolt in.
Cobrastang, why don't you tell everybody how you were going to revolutionize side exhaust with your CC inserts & how great they were, etc. Then you installed them & lost over 35 HP (like I told you). Don't bash me anywhere - my products have proven themselves to MANY Cobra & Vette owners over the last several years. Don't let your bruised ego make you an idiot.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:19 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Here are a couple of videos:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...sVettepa-1.mp4

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...750-Edited.mp4

Get notified of new replies

To Side Exhaust Options

Old 11-19-2010, 06:44 PM
bdhulderman
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chambered
Cobrastang, why don't you tell everybody how you were going to revolutionize side exhaust with your CC inserts & how great they were, etc. Then you installed them & lost over 35 HP (like I told you). Don't bash me anywhere - my products have proven themselves to MANY Cobra & Vette owners over the last several years. Don't let your bruised ego make you an idiot.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chambered

Actually, i installed your inserts in a pair of cobra sidepipes and the horsepower was the same as the stock pipes-no gain, no loss. Remember, we have had this discussion before and i shared the dyno results with you several years ago. However, you did rant on and on about how your inserts would provide large hp gains even on the FFR pipes.

I also experimented with the CC Inserts, but only for noise reduction and certainly not hp gain. I dont make them and i certainly did not claim that i was trying to revolutionize anything with them-was simply experimenting. The cc inserts(FOR COBRA PIPES) did cause a 20rwhp loss-might have even been more, i cant recall and dont care. It was an experiment and they worked-the pipes were much quieter.
Now, all i said was that your hp gain claims are crapola for most Naturally Aspirated engines. 50rwhp claims-come on. Im not bashing, just being logical.

Also, i wasnt bashing your pipes when i said CC-i was referring to a large Corvette vendor that happens to have the same initials and sells a lot of exhaust products. There pipes did not sound good! I have never tried your Corvette sidepipes-they might sound great for all i know. The cobra pipes did not sound bad, they just did not have the amazing gains you promised, which was as i expected. However, that was me using FFR pipes before and your inserts afterwards. Could be different for other mfgs, but i still dont see where a 50rwhp gain could be made unless someone had an enormous engine with a supercharger or turbo.

BTW, you should become a vendor on the corvette forum.

Last edited by Corbrastang; 11-19-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bdhulderman
Once again, your contributions to this forum are so helpful.

Quick Reply: Side Exhaust Options