C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

This Guy Has Guts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

i drive my 63 vette and impala ss all summer long. go to the grocery all the time. i believe
in driving the vehicles. the biggest ding i got was at a car show this summer. looked like a
key. jim
Old 11-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

When I saw the picture, I thought it was me, but I don't live in Fl. I drive and park my red 67 without much reservations, on purpose.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Irwin
I took 1 & 1/2 spots. Returned and some AH is RIGHT next to my drivers door. It ain't easy getting in from the pass side. Bill
People that rudely take extra spots are asking for trouble. I always take my toys to the store but I park in only one spot that is out of the way. I never worry about it because there is usually several people around my car when I come back out.

Jim
Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
People that rudely take extra spots are asking for trouble. I always take my toys to the store but I park in only one spot that is out of the way. I never worry about it because there is usually several people around my car when I come back out.

Jim
Taking two spots this time of year is looking to get keyed. I would rather park out in the boonies and leave a large mean German Shepherd in the passenger seat.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:46 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

I drive all my vintage cars to any big box store , park them any place I can find. I could care less if they get damaged because I can FIX them myself . Funny when you dont care they never seem to get hit. Its the new cars I own that i get paranoid about . 08 Zo6 , 2010 SS Camaro
Old 11-30-2010, 11:05 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

My 54 and 66 go everywhere. Usually I'm not too bothered and never harmed more than the usual admirer inconvenience. Its my 96GS that seems to worry me the most when parked. Probably just the lack of respect C4's receive.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 PM
mkh
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

I drove my 54 to Home Depot a while back and went inside shopping. When I retuned to the car a kid about 18 says "nice vette does it still have the 6 in it?" I asked him how he knew this about early corvettes and he raised up his shirt and he had a tattoo of a chevy bowtie on his chest. True story. Mike
Old 12-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least he's driving it ! Stewy
Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
That seems to happen to me on a regular basis...usually its an SUV with some overweight hussy trying to ****** her 8 kids out of the car right beside me. Thoughtless...
And I've overheard her saying "Open the door CAREFULLY, you guys, we don't want to chip OUR Excursion on that funny old car!"
Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 AM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mkh
I drove my 54 to Home Depot a while back and went inside shopping. When I retuned to the car a kid about 18 says "nice vette does it still have the 6 in it?" I asked him how he knew this about early corvettes and he raised up his shirt and he had a tattoo of a chevy bowtie on his chest. True story. Mike
Now that is cool.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:19 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Guys, I drive mine everywhere and I don't hesitate to leave them in a parking lot while I go shopping. For me, It ain't worth having if I can't drive it whenever I want to. Both my 59 and my 65 get left in the parking lot at the Home Depot and the grocery store on a regular basis. If it gets chips, I will just touch them up!

I have had people come up to me and tell me that they can't believe that I park one of my cars in parking lot, but they don't seem at all surprised to see a 100K Mercedes parked in the same lot.

Come on guys, it is a car and meant to be used, not displayed on a platform in a garage. My paint is absolutely perfect, but I would rather have to repaint every few years, if it means that I can enjoy the car when and where I want.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 AM
amtronic1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Guys, I drive mine everywhere and I don't hesitate to leave them in a parking lot while I go shopping. For me, It ain't worth having if I can't drive it whenever I want to. Both my 59 and my 65 get left in the parking lot at the Home Depot and the grocery store on a regular basis. If it gets chips, I will just touch them up!

I have had people come up to me and tell me that they can't believe that I park one of my cars in parking lot, but they don't seem at all surprised to see a 100K Mercedes parked in the same lot.

Come on guys, it is a car and meant to be used, not displayed on a platform in a garage. My paint is absolutely perfect, but I would rather have to repaint every few years, if it means that I can enjoy the car when and where I want.

Regards, John McGraw

In my case, its a '66 and '88, but they are cars. Just cars.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

With my luck the lady in the PT Cruiser would try to fit next to me and the shopping cart rack!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 AM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1driver
gotta admire the guy for driving and enjoying his car, I take my 03ZO6 and just park out in boonies and walk, generally safe but you never know, but not to is to not enjoy my car...and yes I have a daily driver but sometimes the vette calls me.
years ago in our 68 I made a stop in a parking lot and did not leave car while wife ran in shoe store / while sitting in car /standing ! a car in front of me doing same , next thing I know i see reverse lights come on and BAM , yes backed into the 68 real hard i expected to see the nose on the floor , lucky for me the 68 took the hit well the insurance company paid to have bumper reset , and the following cracks that came about were my problem . all said and done parking lots and plastic cars do not mix we all must remember most of the vintage meets we go too are held in these same lots .luck of the draw .
Old 12-01-2010, 01:52 PM
dunney
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I agree, it's no big deal. My original post was just commenting that he's got a lot of guts parking such a great, beautiful car in the abyss that we call Walmart Parking Lots...
I got your back, MSG. It is pretty funny.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:07 PM
rick66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my 66 and the spouse out for an evening cruise to the dairy delite this past summmer. I parked as a far away as possible and still remain in the parking lot. Probably 20 other open spots. A few minutes later, right before my shocked eyes, a fully loaded (people-wise) minivan pulls up and parks right beside my 66. With less than a door opening space between vehicles, Rosie O'Donell's twin climbs out before I could race back my car. Fortunately, she was nimble enough to squeeze out without any damage. I smiled at her as I moved my car.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive my '56 everywhere I can (insurance won't allow work of course) and the only thing I worry about are the gas cap, valve stem caps and hub caps. That's if the top is up. I won't leave it alone anywhere with the top down.

I keep my original gas cap in my garage and use a cheap one from CC and I try not to sweat the rest but I do walk around the car and check before I get in and leave somewhere.

Get notified of new replies

To This Guy Has Guts...

Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
...to park this beauty in a Walmart parking lot during the holiday shopping season!

I almost felt a responsibility to stand guard until he got back. I wonder if he is a forum member?! What a beauty!

Best in show at Walmart !
Old 12-01-2010, 10:05 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,777 Likes on 1,676 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I sometimes drive the 56 to Walmart, and Lowes, and other places.

Tom Parsons
Old 12-02-2010, 03:30 AM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It was nice enough today here in Seattle that I drove with the top down to Fishermans terminal. Parked far away with plenty of spaces around meto run an errand there, when I came back a big 4 door Ford pickup was snuggled up pretty close. I think some people see the car & want a closer look, so park next to it. I was just happy to get it out for a drive.

Quick Reply: This Guy Has Guts...