C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Non Ethanol fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,130 Likes on 555 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Non Ethanol fuel

I just came across these sites and I thought they might be of interest.
Joe

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

http://pure-gas.org/
Old 02-19-2011, 09:20 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

These have been posted a few times before. There is no problem in running E-10 in old cars. It's been mandatory in CT for over 10 years. My '40 Chev, '62 Vette (modified LT-1 short block), '68 Impala wagon, and other old cars I've since sold, never missed one beat using E-10, No carb problem, no fuel pump problem, no nothing as the saying goes. Those few places listed are mostly no-name brand gas, more than likely coming out of tanks that can not be used for E-10, i.e. too old, gunky, or contaminated. A station can not just empty a tank and have it filled with E-10, it must be thoughly cleaned and in good condition. Some independents simply don't want or can't afford to do it. Think about it, what do they care if what they are selling as far as type of gas (non E-10, or E-10) and it might even cost them more as the terminals are all geared up to dispense the E-10. At this point in time I would not fill my tank from a regular gas station with gas that is not E-10.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Brucets11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

E10 seems ok but we now need to consider E15. The EPA recently authorized an increase in the concentration of ethanol in gasoline from 10 percent (E10) to 15 percent (E15) to include MY2001-2006 passenger cars and light trucks. Last October, EPA approved blends for MY2007 and newer passenger cars and light trucks. The EPA's decision has been challenged by oil companies, food companies and a coalition of automobile and engine manufacturers called the Engine Products Group (EPG).

The concern is that EPA's E15 testing was inadequate and failed to demonstrate that engines and emission control systems in existing products will not be harmed by higher ethanol blends.

Over time E15 will be what's at the pumps.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2010...-e15-gasoline/
Old 02-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
There is no problem in running E-10 in old cars.
That is at least debatable, not so much for performance but for the old (original material) seals, gaskets, etc.
The debate over whether there is an ultimate benefit economically, ecologically, and politically is also a very much live debate.

I live in CT so there is no choice for me.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:05 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiophobe
The debate over whether there is an ultimate benefit economically, ecologically, and politically is also a very much live debate.
And the debate will continue, with no effect. The EPA Administrator (Lisa Jackson) wouldn't know the difference between a carburetor and a crankshaft if they both had labels on them, and EPA logic won't be affected by test data or solid science.

The EPA is influenced by (and panders to) the corn lobby and the ethanol producers, and will continue to issue regulations that favor those groups, at least until 2012.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Brucets11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The EPA Administrator (Lisa Jackson) wouldn't know the difference between a carburetor and a crankshaft if they both had labels on them,
Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood would give Lisa Jackson a run for her money about anything to do with a car.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:22 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiophobe
That is at least debatable, not so much for performance but for the old (original material) seals, gaskets, etc.

I live in CT so there is no choice for me.
I need had a single gasket or seal fail with the use of E-10 over a 10 year period of time, and, yes, I do drive all the cars as much as possible

Get notified of new replies

To Non Ethanol fuel

Quick Reply: Non Ethanol fuel