C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Prodigy Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:30 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
I like the look of the new car headlights when rolled out, but would shorten the grille to C2 height, add original turn signals and a black spoiler/curtain on the bottom.

THANK YOU for the six tail lights which should have appeared at some time between '63 and '67.

In all, a fantastic effort and new benchmark.
Thanks sub006.
Headlights were a nightmare to do, but we reckon with the installation of the C5 headlight motors, we surely must have the fastest C2 headlights around:- work a treat.

Yep, pondered the original indicators for some time, but in the end, it just didn't fit our contemporary theme, and the smooth lines we were chasing. In hindsight, I don't have any regrets for this decision.

Remember, this is just my interpretation of what I reckon the '63SWC would look like today if GM saw fit to make it.

Wanted the low, dumped look. I realise my frontal treatment has caused some conjecture in some circles, I love it, but practicallity also played a part here.
The front roll pan only just conceals the original tube framework of the C5 radiator structure.
This car was built on a stock unaltered C5 Z06 platform.

I agree, love the 6 tailights, but this car, being 10" wider than stock would look ridiculous with only two lights I think.
Rgds
Ross
Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 PM
futura
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Amazing planning and execution. A very cool and ground breaking build.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:41 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by aussieross01
Remember, this is just my interpretation of what I reckon the '63SWC would look like today if GM saw fit to make it.

Wanted the low, dumped look. I realise my frontal treatment has caused some conjecture in some circles, I love it, but practicallity also played a part here.
The front roll pan only just conceals the original tube framework of the C5 radiator structure.
This car was built on a stock unaltered C5 Z06 platform.
Well I think you nailed it. I opened the link to the pictures before I read the thread. At 1st I was a little taken back by the "bluntness" (is that a word?) of the front and rear. I quickly realized the "late model" influence which reminded me of the current C6 midyear conversion that is being offered but your interpretation is much more pleasing to the eye. I think without question you have moderized a "classic design" without loosing it's identity. Outstanding design and craftmanship.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:07 AM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Well I think you nailed it. I opened the link to the pictures before I read the thread. At 1st I was a little taken back by the "bluntness" (is that a word?) of the front and rear. I quickly realized the "late model" influence which reminded me of the current C6 midyear conversion that is being offered but your interpretation is much more pleasing to the eye. I think without question you have moderized a "classic design" without loosing it's identity. Outstanding design and craftmanship.
Thanks for that.
I'm pleased that you have looked objectively at what we were trying to achieve, without pre-judging it.
It is not an original car, never meant to be anything else other than one mans modern interpretation of a classic design.
It looks fabulous in the flesh, response from Motorex show was way beyond anything I was expecting, it was great.

It is also coming from a completely different perspective that what has been seen previously, and that, in itself is something I hope inspires others on their projects.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:53 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO this is a much better design than any of the 1997 and up Corvettes I have seen with 53-62 bodies on them.

To me, the 1997 and up cars became the best low drag design possible on a platform built for racing. The things that make the c5 (and to a lesser extent the c6) cars look ungainly look better cloaked in your design.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:48 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Since the OP did ask, after all...

The styling is not for me, but I like that cookie cutter boring stock look, and styling is a matter of taste.

When they made Corvette Summer I'm certain no one was laughing at that car at the time, but I find it hard to think that the customs of the '70's were almost invariably more beautiful than a stocker. Quite the contrary. Mad Max's (non Corvette) ride is a real bold look right? But not going to be in the Louvre with Ralph Lauren's stuff anytime soon.

I'm not sure building a custom is more manly or American (or Australian) than restoring a car.

BUT while the car may not be to my taste- I will say the craftsmanship is obviously there and no matter what vintage or state of modification you're into we are all car enthusiasts. I even think this is true for the kids building Hondas- we sweat on something and work it til it suits us exactly.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:38 AM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

No ChattanoogaJSB, building a custom is not necessarily more 'manly' as you put it,than a resto, but unless you have ever built a car from virtually scratch as we have done with Prodigy:- you would absolutely no idea what is involved.
I thought I did when I started:- man did I have some rude awakenings ahead of me.

I used to think undertaking a restoration was a big job, I've done 4 corvettes over the years, and thought that was challenging enough.
Mate, I'm here to tell you restos are a walk in park compared to builds like Prodigy and other radical vehicle concepts.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceboyjohnny
I am the main fabricator of prodigy. And as such i'm going to add my bit...I am responsible for that front, and the rear, and the sides, and the dash, and the hood...i carved them, sculpted them into what you see. I was not blinded by a one eyed corvette fever craving replication of a 50 year old style. I look outside the box and say why not? Its only a corvette, lets chop it up, bring into the 21st century. Lets make something that pops the eyes at the next jelly bean convention.

I am not a corvette enthusiast, when i go to a corvette show i find it about as interesting as a bag of jelly beans. There's a red one, a green one, a yellow one...WOW! will ya look at that! There's a purple one!!! Man he really thought outside the box... Boring, boring, boring... I restore corvettes for a living so when the opportunity came to work on a project like Prodigy i was all in. Having spent too many years restoring junk, both steel cars and corvettes, i am well and truly over it.

What happened to your glory days in the 70s? You Americans made some of the most wild corvette customs (some better than others depending on personal taste). Have you lost your *****? Now its 'must save this endangered species' or something. If its not a stock body, you slam it. Don't like this or that... needs a bumper...Christ, you guys have no vision.

You guys think a wild custom Vette is a stock body with some bolt on bits. A kit car is not a custom.

Get out your angle grinders fella's and make something better then...or shut up.

Why not take a good look at the concept and execution rather than bag design that may not be to your taste?

Dont like my comments... suck it up. I don't care whether you like the car or not, that just personal taste, but i do get pissed off by people like 1sttexan who have nothing constructive to say about another guys dream.
Well Spacebunny, it's pretty obvious that you are NOT a Corvette enthusiast.............BUT this IS the Corvette Forum, where you are a guest. SO, your comments are tolerated same as everyone elses. Imagine if you will, posting a Salvador Dali impression of the Mona Lisa on an Art board, and then expecting a favorable response
Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Well Spacebunny, it's pretty obvious that you are NOT a Corvette enthusiast.............BUT this IS the Corvette Forum, where you are a guest. SO, your comments are tolerated same as everyone elses. Imagine if you will, posting a Salvador Dali impression of the Mona Lisa on an Art board, and then expecting a favorable response
Geeeezusss 63 Corvette, you are spoiling for a dust up

Firstly, Spaceboyjohnny, or as you disrespectfully call him Spacebunny, was responding to a comment that was removed from this post. So, you haven't seen this whole scenario in context.

He is a real good mate of mine that spent thousands of hours working alongside me to build my dream car. Being an artistic person, and yes, not a corvette enthusiast like myself, I can understand why he would get upset, and I fully support his above response.

We were not seeking a favourable response with showing you guys Prodigy, merely showing what we have done, with a unique approach to our hobby. I am a Corvette enthusiast, have been so since I was 14 years old, and now about to hit 59.

Like it, hate it, we don't care, but as I've said before, if it inspires one person out there to build their dream, then this worthwhile.

There is room out there for all Corvette enthusiasts, what ever road you wish to travel, at least that's the way it ought to be if our hobby is to survive and prosper.

63Corvette, your comments are neither informative, constructive, or pleasant. I respectfully suggest you "pull your in head in", and go and play somewhere else.
Ross
Old 08-07-2011, 11:19 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Have always dug the customized far out "street freak" themes played on the C1-C3s over the years, so far out there but they still have some type of strange appeal. PLenty of stock ones if you wanna look at them something different is refreshing to see once in awhile.

Something out of the box will get my attention at a show over another restored one. Certainly apreciate stock restored for what they are and the work put into them but it does get tiresome.

its like attending a show and someone enters their new/near new stock Vette.
Why?!!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Steeler
I saw this C2 at a car show (Motorex) in Sydney Australia last weekend, Lots of interest generated and much custom work completed, (Jimmy Shine from So Cal was there too). what do you think?

http://prodigy-z06.com/
63Corvette is a regular, bona fide voice on this forum. The original post was "what do you think" and there have been many more compliments on this car than there have been criticism in the post. My own post said it was not to my taste, yet I still tried to acknowledge the work that went into the car as being extremely admirable. However, 63Corvette, I think, was trying to point out that every dissenting opinion about the car or an aspect of it has been met with some really sharp retort from someone involved in the build process. I think you guys need to get some thick skin and - at minimum- respect regularly contributing members of this forum. Or go away.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:10 PM
thread baron
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

I see some areas I like more than others, but all in all a super build. It's obvious the time, imagination (not too mention the financial end), and craftsmanship that went into the entire project. And it's also good to see you were rewarded for everyone's efforts.

Congratulations on realizing your dream and vision!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
63Corvette is a regular, bona fide voice on this forum. The original post was "what do you think" and there have been many more compliments on this car than there have been criticism in the post. My own post said it was not to my taste, yet I still tried to acknowledge the work that went into the car as being extremely admirable. However, 63Corvette, I think, was trying to point out that every dissenting opinion about the car or an aspect of it has been met with some really sharp retort from someone involved in the build process. I think you guys need to get some thick skin and - at minimum- respect regularly contributing members of this forum. Or go away.
Mate, you might think 63corvette is a bonafide member, and he may be.
It's got nothing to do with developing a thick skin. it's about respect.
I have respect for any member that makes informed well thought out constructive comments, both good or otherwise.

I have no time, and make no apologies for, people that make personal attacks like he did to my friend. 63Corvette needs to apologise for that.

He got me going with the "spacebunny" comment. It was downright disrespectfull.
I do not step back from any of my comments, and I'm not going anywhere.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thread baron
I see some areas I like more than others, but all in all a super build. It's obvious the time, imagination (not too mention the financial end), and craftsmanship that went into the entire project. And it's also good to see you were rewarded for everyone's efforts.

Congratulations on realizing your dream and vision!
Thanks Thread Baron,

I appreciate your comments.
It sure has been one hell of a journey, but now, I can finally tick it off my bucket list.

At the very least , it's unique and innovative:- sure, not to everybody's taste, but hey, it's really "art" afterall, and that is nearly always contengious.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:21 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

beautiful car! I really like the wider hood spear, it complements the rear deck much better than the original hood imo, always wondered why GM didn't give the hood a more balanced look to the rear deck, you nailed it man, aussieross01 ... 1, GM .... 0 I bet a top view picture would be awesome!

Last edited by vt65; 08-08-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:35 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vt65
beautiful car! I really like the wider hood spear, it complements the rear deck much better than the original hood imo, always wondered why GM didn't give the hood a more balanced look to the rear deck, you nailed it man, aussieross01 ... 1, GM .... 0 I bet a top view picture would be awesome!
Thanks vt65,

Funny enough, it's just about the only part of the build 'that had to be', rather than an original design element.

We always followed our original build plan, and that plan involved using most of the styling elements of the '63, but giving them a contemporary twist:- so to speak.
The fitment of the super charger necessitated the hood you see, it was much bigger than I originally planned, but I love it now, it suits the rest of the car just fine.
I didn't want to use the conventional approach of a BB hood, everyone seems to do that, and not that there is anything wrong in that, it's just we wanted something different.
The hood is really just a pumped up version of the original, but a big job. By the time we built the hood, and modified the plenum chamber, wiper grilles etc, it consumed some 23 days if I remember correctly.

Website was updated today I've been told, so you can see some more pics of this hood if you like.
Thanks again
Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 AM
spaceboyjohnny
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And who the hell are you Mr 63 to be taking personal jibes at me? You can hide behind your keyboard playing big man on the board all you like, but the fact is you have no more right to comments than me or anyone else buddy.

But the difference between you and others is that they can appreciate workmanship and design even if it is not to their personal taste rather than make disparaging personal attacks or wishing to post 'vomiting' emoticons as a response to another guys passion.

So, i suggest guys like you go have your Momma's slap some respect into you. I don't care if you have been on the board 10 years or 10 minutes.

Darryll

Get notified of new replies

To Prodigy Z06

Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 AM
spaceboyjohnny
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

However, 63Corvette, I think, was trying to point out that every dissenting opinion about the car or an aspect of it has been met with some really sharp retort from someone involved in the build process. I think you guys need to get some thick skin and - at minimum- respect regularly contributing members of this forum. Or go away.

I would like also to address this comment... I don't agree that every disenting opinion has been addressed with some really sharp retort. The 'sharp retorts' are aimed at those who have been derogitory in a most disrespectful manner. Sir, i think these so called long term contributing members have had nothing decent to contribute at all and as such are only receiving their own treatment back.

My own skin is quite thick enough and i do not need to 'go away'. I have no problem with people disliking the car or the modifications, thats mere personal opinion. Quite a few have stated aspects of the car are not their cup of tea but can appreciate the work, the concept or whatever, you see no 'sharp retorts' at them do you? No.

I make no apologies for standing up for myself. I will defend jibes on myself or work if they are made personal or derogitory by any member of any length of time here. Time on the board does not in itself earn respect from newer members.

Now, this thread is meant to be about the car so i am not going to address this anymore. I have said my piece.

Last edited by spaceboyjohnny; 08-09-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 AM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

MONITORS: Please take out the garbage!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 AM
outlaw67
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steeler
I saw this C2 at a car show (Motorex) in Sydney Australia last weekend, Lots of interest generated and much custom work completed, (Jimmy Shine from So Cal was there too). what do you think?

http://prodigy-z06.com/
Thanks for sharing Steeler , that is an awesome car , the workmanship is a credit to the builder / designer

Quick Reply: Prodigy Z06