C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Attended the Carlisle Show on Friday (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:06 PM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Attended the Carlisle Show on Friday (pics)

Well, we went to the Carlisle show! Living in PA and now a Vette owner, we've been waiting for the Show and headed on out Friday. Great weather.. probably close to 89 degrees, sunny and just perfect.

First impressions -- probably alot of folks did not show up due to the weather heading up the coast but those who did go clearly had a great time. It was cool to walk from the lot across the Corvette gated parking areas..

[IMG][/IMG]

We came into the show from the side where the cars were for sale.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

There was all kinds of stuff -- however, as others have pointed out, there were alot of highly priced examples and alot of stuff that was rough to say the least. Depending upon what you were looking for, there seemed to be a good selection of C2's and few C3's sprinkled in.

Our perspective is that no one there was giving any cars away -- the sellers were either bigger dealers who brought the car to make as much as possible ---

[IMG]http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae113/philascott/Corvettes%20at%20Carlisle%202011/IMG_6293.jpg

[/IMG]

or they were sellers who hoped to dump their project on someone who bumped into it.

There were many others in between and from what we saw, a couple of good deals were still to be found.

Personally, I'd like to thank the vendors for coming. Had a chance to visit with Al Knoch and get a t-cushion for the elbow. Very nice team of people working there and met Al. Zip, Corvette America, Mershon's, Pro-team, County Corvette, Kerbeck and on and on.. great Show. There were definitely deals to be had in the flea market parts section which was huge.

Found NOS chrome trim rings for $50 each... reproduction stickers for under the hood... and assorted other cosmetic parts. If you wanted die-cast cars, t-shirts, clocks whatever.. they had anything & everything under the sun.

I would definitely recommend attending if you've not gone. We're going back again next year.!

Tell you what, the new 2012 Grand Sport was pretty hot!

But let's not forget what started it all...

Old 08-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Nice pictures thanks for posting them, I forgot my camera yesterday and the ones from my phone are just so so.....But a great day for sure
Old 08-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Great pics! I saw this car in Raleigh last week at the big show downtown...

Do you recall the price on it there??
Old 08-27-2011, 04:48 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Show was great, as usual.

Attendance seemed pretty good as well. A lot of people were concerned about Irene, and quite a few packed up early Saturday because of it.

Weather actually was cooler than the last few years but still pretty humid.

Overall, it was a fun time and if you haven't been there before it is definately worth seeing.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:11 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good pics, thanks for posting!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:20 PM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Wonder if that 63 SWC was my old car??? Silver w/red interior. Been gone a year and I am already missing her. Still have my 65 to work on. Dave
Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default i just got back from carlilse...

the pictures are great!!! i thought i saw the c5 my buddy has for sale in one of them....
i found a few things i was looking for, but i thought there were less venders then previous c@c... teh storm, and teh economy were probably keeping some folks away this year,,, we intended to stay until sunday, but decided to leave after lunch to be home (nj & se pa),in case of storm problems...
all in all, it was a good time, and friday weather co-operated better then i expected...
Old 08-27-2011, 07:45 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 225 Posts

We took the C6 up on Friday. Had a blast crusing out the PA turnpike with a group of C6's We got there about 10am. Drove right in at gate 3, not much traffic at all.

I thought there were more cars there then last year and even though some vendors were not present there were still too many to visit in one day. You really need two full days to take everything in.

There were some really nice cars there for sale. Wish I had about 60 grand on me............

There looked to ba a fair amount of Corvette traffic on Rt 81 today also as I had to take my daughter back to college at Shippensburg which is abot 30min from Carlisle. My son counted seeing over 100 Corvettes as we went up and down 81 today.

You gotta love Corvettes at Carlisle!

Tom

1960 283/230, 4sp, Black/Black
1971 454/365, 4sp, Coupe, Bridgehampton Blue
2005, Z51, 6sp, Coupe, Lemans Blue
Old 08-27-2011, 09:22 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for giving us a sampler of Carlisle for 2011. Nice looking black '66 Coupe with A/C and red interior.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 PM
stylin64
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was there today. I had a good time, but I was a little disappointed, with the turnout. I would think that the economy, and the weather had an affect. Is it just me, or have most of the car shows been losing interest in the past few years? It just seems that the turnouts to these shows is less every year.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:46 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentF
Thanks for giving us a sampler of Carlisle for 2011. Nice looking black '66 Coupe with A/C and red interior.
some nice pic,s for sure... Robert
Old 08-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by stylin64
Is it just me, or have most of the car shows been losing interest in the past few years? It just seems that the turnouts to these shows is less every year.
Maybe for Corvette shows, but not Hot Rod/Street Rod/Custom cars at Goodguys and NRSA association shows. When they opened up year models Goodguys through 1972 and NSRA though 1978 model years, that brought a lot of new blood in for them. Quality of the cars is up at these shows also. NSRA attendance had been dropping off due to it's aging membership, but the new blood has helped them. Both Organizations are trying to bring in a younger age group of car builders too to keep the hobby going.

Up until 3 years ago, before I starting going to shows to see what Street Rod/Hot Rod/Customs owners where doing to their cars these days, I didn't realize the quality and number of cars at them.

You might even see a couple of Corvettes at one of those shows too.

Go over and check out Pro Touring forum's project car section and see the number of young guys building PT cars, and LS Forum Conversion and Hybrid section and check out all the different cars getting GM LS Engines installed in them by young people.

Problem with C1 and C2 Corvettes, is it's aging ownership, that is unwilling to drive them in distance due to lack of comfort features, along with probably a few other reasons, like price of gas, falling stock market, poor mechanical condition an those dooms day coming for Corvette threads you see posted here almost weekly so we can't drive them.

Forgot to add, people thinking C2s are Corvairs, or being mobbed at gas stations when stopping every 160 miles to fill up by people and their stupid questions.

PS: Bad Weather will clear those shows parking lot in a hurry too. In 2009 saw one canopy damage over 7 cars when it went tumbling from a wind gust just before a thunder storm due to not being tied down properly.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Was there today. I had a good time, but I was a little disappointed, with the turnout. I would think that the economy, and the weather had an affect. (
It was the weather for sure, the only thing anyone was talking about was Irene. Most of the vendors were packing up by lunch today (Sat), I left the site at around 2:00 when the first drops began falling.
First time I ever leave before Sunday, but the storm was to hit in earnest Sat night, the thought of a nine hour drive in torrential rain on my worn steamrollers (C6 GS) was enough to get me on the road Saturday aft.

As a sidebar; the guys parked beside me on the showfield were amazed that I could get a radiator, gas tank, various other incidental parts for the '62, my suitcase, laptop bag, detail bag, wind screen and other assorted crap all into the trunk of my C6 vert! To be honest, so was I!

Paul
Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
Maybe for Corvette shows, but not Hot Rod/Street Rod/Custom cars at Goodguys and NRSA association shows. When they opened up year models Goodguys through 1972 and NSRA though 1978 model years, that brought a lot of new blood in for them. Quality of the cars is up at these shows also. NSRA attendance had been dropping off due to it's aging membership, but the new blood has helped them. Both Organizations are trying to bring in a younger age group of car builders too to keep the hobby going.

PS: Bad Weather will clear those shows parking lot in a hurry too. In 2009 saw one canopy damage over 7 cars when it went tumbling from a wind gust just before a thunder storm due to not being tied down properly.

While up in St. Louis a year or so ago, most shows were using 1979 as the cut off but some were going to 1985 (25 years).

That opens a lot, since many younger people can't afford the '60s cars of any fun or decent ones. When they get into the late '70s, Novas, El Caminos, Camaros, and even Corvettes are much more affordable to younger owners.

The Forest Park Easter Show had quite a few newer cars as a result. Still odd seeing an '85 Corvette and thinking of it as a antique, but it is.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/grea...-show-stl.html
Old 08-28-2011, 08:58 AM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Was there today. I had a good time, but I was a little disappointed, with the turnout. I would think that the economy, and the weather had an affect. Is it just me, or have most of the car shows been losing interest in the past few years? It just seems that the turnouts to these shows is less every year.
Hello Stylin64-

Thank you for your feedback. I was receiving phone calls early this week due to people having to bail out last minute for the event due to their homes and safety with the threat of Irene. The media did a wonderful job at hyping this storm up and scaring many people for a reason, it’s dangerous. Fortunately there weren't many deaths (six that I'm aware of from this storm). Corvettes at Carlisle draws a lot of people from all around the NE. Unfortunately that was directly in Irene's path, unfortunately we can't do anything about mother nature. However I can assure you that my team and I will continue to strive to do the very best job we can to continue the success of Corvettes at Carlisle.

We hope to see you in 2012: August 24-26. Please feel free emailing me directly with any recommendations you might have to help us improve year over year: lancem@carlisleevents.com.

Today (Sunday) our team and I are picking up flipped over tents, jiffy johns and etc. Not a fun day, but we’re lucky to be on the right side of the dirt. We appreciate your support.

Sincerely,

Lance Miller
Old 08-28-2011, 12:30 PM
avideo
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thanks or the Pictures - Nice to See a Nevada Car There..

We might hit Carlisle next summer, as we will be on the east coast to spend some time in late summer at Cape Cod.
We have Hot August Nights here in Reno and there are thousands of people that show up every summer for our event. Best of all, it's not limited to any one make or model. Lots of Corvettes - and usually not of the NCRS type. The show Director is considering the possibility of raising the age of cars allowed from 1972 to 1975 or 1978 to attract a younger crowd of car owners.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:27 PM
1Sweet66
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the pics!

Didn't make the trip this year but have been there many times in the past. The pictures made it like I was there! Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Attended the Carlisle Show on Friday (pics)

Old 08-28-2011, 07:26 PM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Sweet66
Thanks for the pics!

Didn't make the trip this year but have been there many times in the past. The pictures made it like I was there! Thanks.

My pleasure. I'm currently a C3 owner.. but lurking here knowing that a 58 to 60 or 65 to 67 vert is in my future as #2. Just need to add the lift in the garage so I can stack em up.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:38 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I didn't make it this year, but from what I've heard I things aren't the same as in previous years..... Most vendors closed at 5pm, not as many people or vendors as in previous years, and probably the worst, the guy that made us breakfast and has been there since the mid 70's was no longer there.. You can mess with lots of things, but food ain't one of them.. Most of my friends that have been going since it started are questioning whether they will keep going.. Sadly things change I guess...

Thanks for the pics tho.. some nice cars..

/jc

Last edited by joec; 08-28-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Puzzled
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

212 pictures here.

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z...rlisle%202011/

Quick Reply: Attended the Carlisle Show on Friday (pics)