C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

More Power Windows in the '61

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,087 Likes on 4,739 Posts
Army

Paul - can't say if the window felts slow your windows down but anything is possible I guess...I do know that Mike Coletta spent some time getting things all aligned properly with the door posts and front channel so maybe its worth looking into.

Here are the WRONG conduits Paragon sent me....I can't imagine what they go to but they are not going to work on the vette due to the shortened length.
Eclker's doesn't carry the correct conduit outside of their power window kit so I can't drive over and get them. P!sses me off as I wanted everything back together for some Veteran's Day activities.
Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

That sucks, not sure how long mine are, but when the door is open all the way, the end of the channel does not reach into the door post.
I'd take a pic for you, but i don't have the car with me.

Paul
Old 11-09-2011, 09:39 AM
QIK59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Paul - can't say if the window felts slow your windows down but anything is possible I guess...I do know that Mike Coletta spent some time getting things all aligned properly with the door posts and front channel so maybe its worth looking into.

Here are the WRONG conduits Paragon sent me....I can't imagine what they go to but they are not going to work on the vette due to the shortened length.
Eclker's doesn't carry the correct conduit outside of their power window kit so I can't drive over and get them. P!sses me off as I wanted everything back together for some Veteran's Day activities.
Don't want you to miss the parade - why don't you bend up some little "U" piece extensions and braze them onto the Paragon conduits ?
Just like the old hot-rod car guy days : adapt, fabricate, make what you can't buy - I do it all the time

As far as window speed - maybe Mike uses a resistor in the power feed to give a more refined / luxurious operation for those high dollar resto-mod customers
Old 11-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
Paul
wish i had known you were down, i was at a car show in Bonita Springs on Sunday.
Bill
I had no idea there was a show in Bonita Springs Bill, I would have gone for sure, especially had I know you were going to be there.
I'm here for another week, anything else going on?
I'm going to try for Kissimme again in Jan, hard to believe tat it's only a couple of months away!

Paul
Old 11-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by QIK59
Don't want you to miss the parade - why don't you bend up some little "U" piece extensions and braze them onto the Paragon conduits ?
Just like the old hot-rod car guy days : adapt, fabricate, make what you can't buy - I do it all the time

As far as window speed - maybe Mike uses a resistor in the power feed to give a more refined / luxurious operation for those high dollar resto-mod customers
As most forum members know I fabricate plenty -- "old school" on the floor of my garage with a mallet, vice grips and a hacksaw. I don't weld, braze nor have such equipment. The 4-5 times I've needed something welded I've had buddies that do it. Besides the Paragon conduits have door flanges (where the screws go) that are some bigger than the factory Corvette conduits and I'm not gonna cut the wrong size hole in the door just to "cobble" something together as you suggest.

I'll prob stick the car back together with the windows temporarily down for the veteran's day show.

There is no resistor in my SPW windows and they are quite fast...I'll post a video of their operation when I finally get them finished up.

First bad experience I've had with Paragon but they've compounded the error now and that's enough to take them off my 'short list' of Corvette vendors.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-09-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I dunno -- the switches don't look all that bad when everything is put back together and I didn't have to buy door sheet metal. The switches and the plugs on the back of them fit nicely in the pre-existing crank handle holes.
Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2011, 05:55 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,069 Likes on 514 Posts

I like it Frank!!!! Good job!!! What's the deal with those conduit??? Is Paragon sending some different ones??? Do we need to make something??? BTW, those conduits that Paragon sent you look like something that they pulled from the yard. The repros are red oxide primer, and don't have the "dog poop" welds. They look like they are "blue".

Mike

Last edited by mike coletta; 11-09-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by mike coletta
I like it Frank!!!! Good job!!! What's the deal with those conduit??? Is Paragon sending some different ones??? Do we need to make something??? BTW, those conduits that Paragon sent you look like something that they pulled from the yard. The repros are red oxide primer, and don't have the "dog poop" welds. They look like they are "blue".

Mike
The conduits they sent are definitely used - Paragon 'claims' that SPW sent them to them. Belair or Impala conduits maybe. Too short for a '61 by a mile...

I've got the 'real deal' conduits coming from Paragon Monday so, no, we don't need to make anything (as far as I know!)
Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM
QIK59
Drifting

I dunno -- the switches don't look all that bad when everything is put back together and I didn't have to buy door sheet metal. The switches and the plugs on the back of them fit nicely in the pre-existing crank handle holes.
Yes you are correct; the switch's don't look too bad at all.
If you didn't know any different you would assume they are original equipment.

I also "lay down corrected" about the use of resistors - I have subsequently been told by a highly respected car builder that "resistors don't do anything to a motor except cut the voltage".
I guess the ones I've seen connected to heater motors are installed in the heater duct simply to prewarm the heater air.

Last edited by QIK59; 11-10-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The conduits they sent are definitely used - Paragon 'claims' that SPW sent them to them. Belair or Impala conduits maybe.
Frank those look identical to the ones from my 1956 Oldsmobile 98, including crappy welds, which I have in front of me.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

'56 Olds huh? Well those conduits have to be from a car with doors that don't open as wide as a Corvette or else have thicker doors. Probably some poor soul out there dying to find a pair of originals and now they'll sit on my shelf in the garage. Maybe I'll take 'em up to Daytona Turkey Run swap meet and see if I can unload them.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

I also "lay down corrected" about the use of resistors - I have subsequently been told by a highly respected car builder that "resistors don't do anything to a motor except cut the voltage".
I guess the ones I've seen connected to heater motors are installed in the heater duct simply to prewarm the heater air.
That resistor, in conjunction with the blower speed switch, determines the speed of the blower motor; it's installed in the outlet duct so the airflow can cool the coiled resistance elements, which can get very hot.
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2011, 01:11 PM
QIK59
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnZ
That resistor, in conjunction with the blower speed switch, determines the speed of the blower motor; it's installed in the outlet duct so the airflow can cool the coiled resistance elements, which can get very hot.
No "poop" John !?
You missed my humour there LOL !

No one wanted to comment to my original quote about the resistor not doing anything for a motor other than dropping the voltage
Old 11-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

We are all trying to get over the 'lay down corrected' reference. Sounds like some sort of bondage thing.

I'm not sure that's an image I want to retain...
Old 11-10-2011, 03:27 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 642 Likes on 360 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Looks like it was always there! Nice job
Old 11-11-2011, 04:12 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,069 Likes on 514 Posts

No one wanted to comment to my original quote about the resistor not doing anything for a motor other than dropping the voltage
How do you think the motor speed changes???? LOL. The resistor "drops the voltage". You still "lay down corrected". The original post subject is power WINDOWS.....not FANS. When you chop the voltage to the motor, you also affect current flow, which will reduce the torque of the motor, and will.........aw, what's the point. You're the expert fabricator, so you already know all of that.

Mike Coletta

BTW,
QIK59..No one wanted to comment to my original quote about the resistor not doing anything for a motor other than dropping the voltage
John Hinkley said:
in conjunction with the blower speed switch, determines the speed of the blower motor
That's because "that's all it does" !!!! LOL!!

Last edited by mike coletta; 11-11-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:36 PM
QIK59
Drifting

You stayed up until 4 am to come up with this ??
Old 11-11-2011, 01:04 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 842 Likes on 458 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

One would imagine that a "retired nuclear mat'l inspector", "damn good self taught wrench", and "excellent designer & fabricator" would know this.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:14 PM
QIK59
Drifting

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
One would imagine that a "retired nuclear mat'l inspector", "damn good self taught wrench", and "excellent designer & fabricator" would know this.

Last edited by QIK59; 11-11-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: More Power Windows in the '61