C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help Wiring Engine Test Stand

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:32 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks all excellent responses, hopefully I'll get to the running stage soon.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Michael Allen
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Jim

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
You definitely need either a ballast resistor or a coil that functions without one. Mount the resistor on a stand off, so it gets plenty of cooling air around it:

It may pay you to also go beyond the "get'er done" approach of just doing the minimum needed to make the engine run. What if something goes horribly wrong while your engine under test is running?

You'd want a kill switch for all the electric circuits. This needs to be right at the battery. If you have an alternator on the engine, the switch needs to be a two-pole, single throw type so you can interrupt not only the battery lead but also the alternator output:

You should also consider adding a master circuit breaker (silver rectangle, left) and individual fuses for the various support circuits, like gauges, ignition, starter solenoid:

And, in my opinion, most importantly, always add a fuel cut off valve:

Go the extra distance to include these things and, if something goes really wrong, you've got a chance to do a safe shut down.

Jim
Jim I noticed you have the Lauren MetsOne style engine test stand and I have the same . The directions for wiring its supplied gauges is a joke . I was wondering if you could send a few detailed photos of exactly how you set up yours so I can complete mine in the same manner. Thanks feel free to email them or text me is fine. I'll give you my number in an email.

Last edited by Michael Allen; 01-17-2016 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Help Wiring Engine Test Stand