C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hardtop Rear Plexiglass Questions, C-2

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Hardtop Rear Plexiglass Questions, C-2

I've got a 1965 (I think) rear window from a C-2 hardtop, I know it has the "Plexiglas" and "AS 4" codes on it, but I'm not sure of the date code, haven't looked for it nor seen it in a while.

The glass is OK except for some "spiderwebbing" or apparent "surface cracking" in an area about the size of a teacup saucer. Now, couple of questions . . . . . .

1. Is there any value in this window, I never throw anything away and if it's worth little or nothing I'll probably still hang onto it for another 45 years or so . . . . ?

2. Has anyone ever tried any repair methods to fix the type of crazing I'm seeing in the Plexiglass? It reminds me of the way tempered glass shatters into smaller shapes, that's the type of shapes I'm seeing in the Plexi. But it doesn't appear to be all the way through the glass, only in the outer surface, perhaps a few millimeters deep or so. That's why I'm wondering if one might be able to remove it by buffing, with acetone, or judicial amounts of heat . . . . .

Any thoughts on either of these two questions?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:58 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I saved this in case I ever get around to doing mine.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-cleaning.html
Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Good information, I remember that thread. I don't think what I'm seeing is scratches, it's more like shallow "cracking" or something similar . . . . I'll have to take another look, see if I can determine if it's only at the surface or if it appears to go a little deeper . . . .

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:39 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That was my post, I did as copper 55 suggested, sanding then polish. It did turn out great. However there were a couple of areas that appeared as you have described and it did not remove all. It appeared to be like spider cracking, but it seemed to be inside the plexiglas not on the outside. As for value, depending on the condition, which will determine wether or not it is worth the effort to fix, a new replacement window is about $350.00.

Get notified of new replies

To Hardtop Rear Plexiglass Questions, C-2

Quick Reply: Hardtop Rear Plexiglass Questions, C-2