C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Windshield washer work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:51 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Default Windshield washer work?

Been driving my 65 coupe a lot lately and everything works as it should, which I love for a 47 year old car. Have owned several C2's and none had the washer that worked and never much cared. BUT this is about the only thing not working on my car and I would like it to. Everything seems to be in place but nothing happens when I push the button.
Anyone know what need to be checked to get it operational?
Old 02-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

You're gonna laugh but..............before I tell you...

When you push the button, do you hear the clicking, like the pump motor is cycling? Gotta make sure that the pump itself is working.

BUT...

I find that after sitting for months and sometimes years....

I disconnect the hoses, and take a mouthful of water, and blow/force the water through the hoses and also the nozzles. Often the little orifices of the nozzles plug up and need cleaned with a pin.

Once you can "blow" water completely through the system, try it again and report back.

Chuck
Old 02-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

PS:

Sometimes the nozzles get really plugged up with mineral deposits, etc.

You might have to remove them to give them a good cleaning to make sure they are patent.

Chuck
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 AM
outlaw67
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but my washers never seemed to work either , tried priming them , blew air through them and still no go , just happened to have a mates Mity Vac so I thought I would give that a try , stuck the hose off the MV on the nozzle and pumped till I drew fluid on both nozzels , hey presto now they work , in fact they work so well they wash the roof and you can't adjust the height , they also continue to pump for about 8 to 10 seconds after releasing pressure on the wiper switch , is this normal, 67 Coupe , any thoughts

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield washer work?

Quick Reply: Windshield washer work?