C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'59 Corvette in-car camera around Sebring this past weekend (VIDEO ENCLOSED)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Nice!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations Lance on a beautiful car and a great drive!!

Can life get any better for you?!?!?!?!?!?

Thanks for sharing.

Rex
Old 03-19-2012, 02:34 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Lance,

Now THAT was a great video! One of the most enjoyable video's we've seen.

It comes at a time when we're trying to decide what our next venture in the hobby will be and vintage racing sure looks like a lot of fun.

Rich & Barb
Old 03-19-2012, 02:44 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Best use of a Vette I can think of!! Very nice.
Any details on the motor? Looks like it pulls a tall gear real good.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Best use of a Vette I can think of!! Very nice.
Any details on the motor? Looks like it pulls a tall gear real good.
It's a 331ci engine with 3.55 gears. It pulls strong as you can probably tell in the video. Now if we only had a set of good (new technology) brakes . The builder, Tom Lalinsky, and I talked about it multiple times, however we decided to keep the car going strong as it ran back in the day - drums all around. I just let off the throttle early and let the motor do some work prior to braking

Lance
Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 PM
1963GrayGray
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C1 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
The GREATEST thing about that video is that it didn't have a bunch of GD music dubbed in it!!!!!!!!
Sooooooooooo many idiots these days just insist on ruining potentially great videos by drowning out the TRUE music with a bunch of dubbed in music, and usually its obnoxious hard rock music.
I commend you for not spoiling a great video!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Parsons
Tom, I thought that WAS music. It sure sounded sweet to me.

Dave Gray
Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

watching this just made me take my 61/ 2x4 off road pipes/411 rear out for a blast ! my favorite part of your video clip is around 16.40 to 17.40 .also watching the tach climb .thanks for sharing , .carb or fuelie ?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Outstanding.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by tach drive 61
watching this just made me take my 61/ 2x4 off road pipes/411 rear out for a blast ! my favorite part of your video clip is around 16.40 to 17.40 .also watching the tach climb .thanks for sharing , .carb or fuelie ?
Carb... thanks for the kudos!

Lance

PS The latest Vintage Motorsports Magazine enews just came out and it had my video as a feature, pretty cool: VM Enews link.

Last edited by racelance; 03-19-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

After muscling my bone stock '61 around the Sebring course a couple years back I got a real appreciation for what the early drivers must have gone through. Vague steering, sloppy cornering and marginal brakes by today's standards but that was state-of-the-art back then...
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
After muscling my bone stock '61 around the Sebring course a couple years back I got a real appreciation for what the early drivers must have gone through. Vague steering, sloppy cornering and marginal brakes by today's standards but that was state-of-the-art back then...
Frankie-

I totally understand where you're coming from! I've always admired the legends that drove these old Corvettes - however after doing it myself, I've found a new respect for them. They were true warriors!

Lance
Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

I took my 60 around the track the following year with old bushings and it was an adventure in leaning. John Luther was riding my butt with his very stiff 57 fuelie and he was doing much better with a good amount of rear end shifting until he got pulled off the track for "aggressive driving". Since then I've put new bushings on the car and it should do much better with less leaning..
It was hard reading the tach on the last straight stretch, but it looked like Lance was doing 6+k in 4th by the grandstands. If any of your ever get the chance to drive a solid axle at Sebring, go for it! If you drive it hard, your fingers will probably make permanent impressions on your steering wheel....
Old 03-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by toms silver 60

I took my 60 around the track the following year with old bushings and it was an adventure in leaning. John Luther was riding my butt with his very stiff 57 fuelie and he was doing much better with a good amount of rear end shifting until he got pulled off the track for "aggressive driving". Since then I've put new bushings on the car and it should do much better with less leaning..
It was hard reading the tach on the last straight stretch, but it looked like Lance was doing 6+k in 4th by the grandstands. If any of your ever get the chance to drive a solid axle at Sebring, go for it! If you drive it hard, your fingers will probably make permanent impressions on your steering wheel....
I found out recently that a prior owner of my '61 had taken it around the track at Daytona _ I don't know under what sort of venue. So the car has done both Daytona & Sebring...kinda neat I thought...
Old 12-16-2012, 04:55 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by racelance
Hey gang,

Thought I'd take this opportunity to share a video clip with you from this past weekends 12 Hours of Sebring SVRA event. We took the '59 Corvette down to enjoy the Vintage races this weekend, I just finished uploading some video from my new GoPro Hero2 camera (quality is amazing - see for yourself!). Here's the link to the Sprint Race that was held on Friday: HD Video - Sebring Sprint Race.

Here's a pic of the car as well:

Enjoy the ride,

Lance
Great video! Lance, I have somehow missed this video when you posted it. I will be driving at Sebring in March, and was looking for in-car video as I have never drivent his track....so I very much appreciate your video. Please drop by our pit area (#63) when you get there as we would love to meetcha
Old 12-16-2012, 10:49 PM
racecar14
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racelance
Hey gang,

Thought I'd take this opportunity to share a video clip with you from this past weekends 12 Hours of Sebring SVRA event. We took the '59 Corvette down to enjoy the Vintage races this weekend, I just finished uploading some video from my new GoPro Hero2 camera (quality is amazing - see for yourself!). Here's the link to the Sprint Race that was held on Friday: HD Video - Sebring Sprint Race.

Here's a pic of the car as well:

Enjoy the ride,

Lance
I love it. I vintaged raced 11 years and it really took me back!!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:54 AM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Great video! Lance, I have somehow missed this video when you posted it. I will be driving at Sebring in March, and was looking for in-car video as I have never drivent his track....so I very much appreciate your video. Please drop by our pit area (#63) when you get there as we would love to meetcha
I'm in the process of purchasing a new home, that could put a damper on my Sebring trip this year

You'll have a great time! The track will be tough on your equipment but it's certainly worth it.

Enjoy the ride,

Lance
Old 12-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hey Lance, I notice you weren't brave enough to wrestle that animal around the track with the original 17in steering wheel like they did back then?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 AM
davidf59
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts

Great video Lance. Thanks for the ride!

Get notified of new replies

To '59 Corvette in-car camera around Sebring this past weekend (VIDEO ENCLOSED)

Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 AM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Hey Lance, I notice you weren't brave enough to wrestle that animal around the track with the original 17in steering wheel like they did back then?
That was the least of my worries!

LOL,

Lance
Old 12-17-2012, 11:17 PM
jerhofer
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Great driving!! I really liked the wide angle camera view. You could see how much you had to muscle the car around the curves. Seeing you mixing it up with the 911's early on showed the value of disc brakes. You would pass them on the straight and then they would be able to go deeper into the corner under braking. However, they brought a knife to a gun fight with their 2 liter motors.

I did a couple track days at Sebring some years ago and it is definitely a horsepower track. I loved the flow of the track and, in spite of being perfectly flat and rough, it was one of my all time favorite tracks to drive on.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:54 AM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jerhofer
Great driving!! I really liked the wide angle camera view. You could see how much you had to muscle the car around the curves. Seeing you mixing it up with the 911's early on showed the value of disc brakes. You would pass them on the straight and then they would be able to go deeper into the corner under braking. However, they brought a knife to a gun fight with their 2 liter motors.

I did a couple track days at Sebring some years ago and it is definitely a horsepower track. I loved the flow of the track and, in spite of being perfectly flat and rough, it was one of my all time favorite tracks to drive on.
Thank you, yes... the 911's can certainly out-brake you just about anywhere. However the V8 can run 'em down. Plus I've always been really spoiled with 6-piston brakes in my other race cars - I was really tentative (as you can see) in the brake zones. Actually I let the motor slow me down as you can see - I tried to not use the brakes much, but I have to admit they worked fine. It was me that was being the wuss :-)

Lance

Quick Reply: '59 Corvette in-car camera around Sebring this past weekend (VIDEO ENCLOSED)