C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Radiator non corrosive additive needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
No one in the above or other posts- which I agree with - has addressed my original point about using the anti corrosion additives - which was the op's original question - to restore the ph balance on older but still clean anti freeze in cars that are lightly used with minimal miles per year. Why drain and replace when it is so easy to keep the anti freeze in proper balance?

I believe and have proven for over 20 years of experience that is a legitimate use of those additives and as such they are not "snake oil"! Interesting that no one has commented on that specific question but seem to prefer to just totally reject the additives as being useless.
Again, try the ph test strip evaluation if you don't believe me. Otherwise, the argument is pretty arbitrary.........
pH is not everything. Many (many) years ago, Dupont marketed an antifreexe named TELAR. It was red in color, which would change to yellow when the additives were spent and the pH was reduced.

I remember waiting for the color to change........even used pH strips from the plant lab....meanwhile the aged/spent antifreeze corroded through my brass radiator and was dripping on the garage floor.

The major players (Prestone, Zerex, Peak, etc) spend a lot of $$$$ on R&D to get the additive package right in their antifreeze, and they recommend a specific change interval. For most of us, the best thing is to follow their advice.

An antifreeze change every 2-3 years cost me about $50. A new DeWitts aluminum radiator cost about $900. There is no dollar value that I can place on having to replace the heater core in my 1967 factory AC car.

Larry

EDIT: For what it's worth. The glycol in antifreeze will degrade and decompose with heat and time, and will turn into corrosive organic acids. Even though the additives may still be working, the cooling system is becoming contaminated. At some point (frequency) it is best to replace the entire solution.

Last edited by Powershift; 04-01-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Mike Mytro
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You might want to try RMI-25 to your anti-freeze and water mixture. I have been using it for years with great results. RMI-25 keeps everything clean and lubricated.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
\

If you're not interested, ya don't have to read - or respond.........
Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mytro
You might want to try RMI-25 to your anti-freeze and water mixture. I have been using it for years with great results. RMI-25 keeps everything clean and lubricated.
nothing wrong with that advice....i use a 50/50 prestone mix and bar's leak...used it for years and my coolant is changed every 3 years....
Old 04-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Steve Wall
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
I am running straight water and Justice Brothers radiator cooler in my '61 here in So Cal. I am concerned about corrosion to the aluminum parts. Is there an additive I can use to minimize corrosion and lubricate the water pump, Etc? Thanks

Hello, I am Steve Wall regional Sales Representative for the Justice Brothers So. Cal distributorship. I want to address jtranger's concerns with the product he purchased.

Justice Brothers Radiator Cooler (RC/22P) does contain additives to minimize corrosion and lubricate water pumps in addition to other features including temperature reduction. This product also mixes with and enhances all types of antifreeze. jtranger, sounds like you've been using this product for some time?

I may have sold it to you at the Straight Axle Corvette Club tech seminar at the Kent Browning collection we guest spoke at a while back. Or directly at a corporate headquarters tour: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...bros-pics.html There is a ’54 Corvette in our lobby between the receptionist desk and a vintage midget racer.

jtranger, lives in an unique part of the country where freezing is not a concern. But, that same area is basically a desert and with ridiculous traffic causing vehicles to idle still for exceptional periods of time.

Antifreeze has many properties. Many of those properties are accomplished by the additives blended into it. The freeze resistance property in Anti Freeze is not a needed by jtranger and those few who live in his same climate. Now those living in colder climates (most), you do need resistance to freezing in winter from antifreeze. No need to debate that.

Now, those few who don’t need the resistance to freezing in their car still need the additives in their cooling systems for protection.

The Justice Brothers Radiator Super Cooler (RC/22P) has an additive package formulated to include properties for: water pump lubrication, anti corrosives, Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCA's), surfactants, stop rust, resist acid formation, anti foaming to name a few.

Here's a fairly thorough conducted test of cooling additives in regards to temperature: http://www.turbomagazine.com/feature...s/viewall.html

From test:
Justice Brothers' Radiator Cooler gave us the lowest temperature during our testing - 177 F - and provided the lowest average temperatures overall when mixed with water alone.
In the case of jtranger, I personally would like to recommend also adding a bottle of Cooling System Protector (CSP/1P) when running straight water, large system, and aluminum radiator. It has additional SCA's, water pump lubrication, corrosion inhibitors and acid neutralizers. It also contains special metal deviators that act as a ground strap between dissimilar metals like the many aluminum to cast iron to aluminum transitions Corvettes have. That gives extra electrolysis and anti rust protection as additives get depleted over time over a large area.

Check electrolysis with a digital voltmeter. Attach the ground to the radiator body. Then float the positive lead in the radiator fluid mixture. You should not have more than about .3 volts.

Steve Wall
Regional Sales Representative
Justice Brothers High Point Distributing
www.justicebrothers.com
stevewall68@gmail.com

Last edited by Steve Wall; 07-07-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Wall
Hello, I am Steve Wall regional Sales Representative for the Justice Brothers So. Cal distributorship. I want to address jtranger's concerns with the product he purchased.

Justice Brothers Radiator Cooler (RC/22P) does contain additives to minimize corrosion and lubricate water pumps in addition to other features including temperature reduction. This product also mixes with and enhances all types of antifreeze. jtranger, sounds like you've been using this product for some time?

I may have sold it to you at the Straight Axle Corvette Club tech seminar at the Kent Browning collection we guest spoke at a while back. Or directly at a corporate headquarters tour: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...bros-pics.html There is a ’54 Corvette in our lobby between the receptionist desk and a vintage midget racer.

jtranger, very uniquely lives in an part of the country where freezing is not a concern. But, that same area is basically a desert and with ridiculous traffic causing vehicles to idle still for exceptional periods of time.

Antifreeze has many properties. Those properties are accomplished by the additives blended into it. The property of resistance to freezing that Anti Freeze is not a needed by jtranger and those few who live in his same climate. Now those living in colder climates (most), you do need resistance to freezing in winter from antifreeze. No need to debate that.

Now, those few who don’t need the resistance to freezing in their car still need the additives in their cooling systems for protection.

The Justice Brothers Radiator Super Cooler (RC/22P) has an additive package formulated to include properties for: water pump lubrication, anti corrosives, Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCA's), surfactants, stop rust, resist acid formation, anti foaming to name a few.

Here's a fairly thorough conducted test of cooling additives in regards to temperature: http://www.turbomagazine.com/feature...s/viewall.html

From test:

In the case of jtranger, I personally would like to recommend also adding a bottle of Cooling System Protector (CSP/1P) when running straight water, large system, and aluminum radiator. It has additional SCA's, water pump lubrication, corrosion inhibitors and acid neutralizers. It also contains special metal deviators that act as a ground strap between dissimilar metals like the many aluminum to cast iron to aluminum transitions Corvettes have. That gives extra electrolysis and anti rust protection as additives get depleted over time over a large area.

Check electrolysis with a digital voltmeter. Attach the ground to the radiator body. Then float the positive lead in the radiator fluid mixture. You should not have more than about .3 volts.

Steve Wall
www.justicebrothers.com
stevewall68@gmail.com
Sounds like the man knows what he's talking about - not "snake oil".............................
Old 04-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

My 1967 Corvette cooling system with a 50/50 mix of Zerex G-05 and distilled water measures around 80 to 100 mv (0.08 to 0.10 volt).

FWIW. Larry

EDIT: Measured multiple times over the last five years using a Fluke 73 III multimeter.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 AM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

jtranger, very uniquely lives in an part of the country where freezing is not a concern. But, that same area is basically a desert and with ridiculous traffic causing vehicles to idle still for exceptional periods of time.

Antifreeze has many properties. Those properties are accomplished by the additives blended into it. The property of resistance to freezing that Anti Freeze is not a needed by jtranger and those few who live in his same climate. Now those living in colder climates (most), you do need resistance to freezing in winter from antifreeze. No need to debate that.

From test:

Steve Wall
www.justicebrothers.com
stevewall68@gmail.com
Thanks for the input Steve. I actually bought the JB radiator cooler from a rep down here. Great fellow gave me several JB product samples.

Quick Reply: Radiator non corrosive additive needed