C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Funny thing happened at a Corvette show

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 06:03 AM
GeoffM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gettysburg
Either of those shirts would be desirable. Seriously, does anyone make (carry) those? I definitely would like to have one or both of them.
Yep I'm definatley up for one of each if anyone comes across them , pls let me know. Maybe if a forum member has contacts for t shirts we can get orders going from intersted forum members! charge a little over cost and put the proceeds to a suitable charity. I would have a crack at it but being in Oz might prove difficult for logistics and freight.
Apologies to all if this is considered to be hijacking the thread
Geoff
Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 AM
EddieG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Selling my 76 so I can use the cash to restore my 65, 396 Convert. We Vette people are really wierd, aren't we.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I attended the Woodward Cruise last summer that had a large gathering of Corvettes ( 400 + I think ) cruise from the Raddisson Hotel.
350 of them were newer cars. Older guys with plaid shorts, white sox, and new runners on. They all looked like their mom dressed them .
I was the only one with a little dirt under my finger nails , the greying of the sport I guess .

Bill
Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

And its not just Corvettes. We have these cruise nights in my area where all classic cars are welcome. The lots are filled with new chargers, camaros, challangers,and Mustangs. There was even one guy proudly displaying his new V6 Charger with the hood open. I dont get it either. If I want to see new cars all shined up just go to your local dealer. They will even let you test drive one if you sound interested. I think most of the newer C6s we see at these shows are leased anyway.That is why the owners know nothing about Corvettes or Corvette history. In three years they will be back driving their Mercedes and Caddies. The mid life crisis will have passed some. Yet when I see a C1 or C2 at these shows which are rare, I just look and admire and go back in time and I am 13 years old again and remember those great old days when these car which were so special back then are still so special today.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:55 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vt65
really want to pi$$ them off? ... wear a tee shirt that says "Real Corvettes have bumpers" ...
OR

Real Corvette grills have teeth!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

No -- real Corvette's have painted coves and 4-tail lights. Guess what; that's only ONE year...
Old 04-13-2012, 08:06 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by vt65
really want to pi$$ them off? ... wear a tee shirt that says "Real Corvettes have bumpers" ...
"Real Corvettes Have Metal Bumpers"

"They made Corvettes after 1967... but who cares?"

T-shirts/slogans like these do carry a Twitter-size history lesson in them, and it may spark a worthwhile and fun discussion with some car enthusiasts. Too many people have no clue what happened before they were teenagers, on even really important subjects.

Cheers,
JB
Old 04-13-2012, 08:06 AM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gettysburg
Either of those shirts would be desirable. Seriously, does anyone make (carry) those? I definitely would like to have one or both of them.
i've seen those shirts at Corvette Carlisle, will have to take note of the vendors names
Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I shy away from that sort of disparaging of other cars (except here; good-naturedly)...having license plate frames, decals, etc. with the little 'bad boy' whizzing on the Ford or Mopar logo and other such jibes is a nice way to get your classic car 'keyed' anonymously.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:18 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ps374
And its not just Corvettes. We have these cruise nights in my area where all classic cars are welcome. The lots are filled with new chargers, camaros, challangers,and Mustangs. There was even one guy proudly displaying his new V6 Charger with the hood open. I dont get it either. If I want to see new cars all shined up just go to your local dealer. They will even let you test drive one if you sound interested. I think most of the newer C6s we see at these shows are leased anyway.That is why the owners know nothing about Corvettes or Corvette history. In three years they will be back driving their Mercedes and Caddies. ...
The future of our hobby is dependent upon the continued influx of young enthusiastic car owners who have a passion for their rides, whether or not that ride strikes all of our interests. People who bring new chargers, camaros, etc. to cruise nights are rightfully proud of their purchases, For many it is the crowning achievement of some near term life goal of theirs, and we should appreciate what they've done instead of demonstrating myopic loyalty to only the old cars.

I'm quite proud of the newer cars I own, and am happy to share them with others. The older generation may or may not appreciate anything of mine built after 1972, but I'm proud of them and that's what matters to me.

Start discouraging participation of owners of new cars and in many cases you'll be driving away the future of our hobby.

As for this wide-sweeping generalization about most C6s being leased, who knows. Mine's paid for and I'm sure many of us on this C1/C2 forum are in the same boat.

Appreciate the work and effort others put into accomplishing their dreams, even if their dreams are "substandard" in your eyes.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:20 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

I'm fortunate, here in the DC metro area we have cars shows many weekends through the season; some Corvette only, some classics & antiques, American muscle cars, others for sports cars of all flavors. Corvettes are reasonably well represented in most shows here with a good mix of C1-C6. We have a remarkable Cars & Coffee every Saturday that (in good weather) will draw 250-300 cars and always has C1-C6 represented among the Cobras, Mustangs, Ferrari, Porsche, and other exotic, interesting, new, and old cars. The variety and quality is a lot of fun to see.

Cheers,
JB
Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

The reality is that that the C5/C6 owners are literally driving the hobby right now. They drive them to events far more than many who own the older cars. Many of us own and appreciate both the old and the new cars. My heart is with the old cars but there's plenty of room in the hobby for all generations.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Seems to me that where Corvettes are concerned, the car shows have changed directions from years ago.

Used to be lots of Corvettes old and newer - owners had a special bond or story about the car - knew everything about it and were proud of the work they put into it over the years. Newer cars were a life time achievement come true

Now its - I bought this last month, drove it the "Tuner" - wrote a check and now it "Puts down" 600hp - I don't have clue about how any of that actually works, and I would rather die then touch a hand tool my self. Carbon Fiber is my friend.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

In for a couple "Who Cares" tees
Or for the bad boys.."Who gives a ratz azz"
Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I've been to plenty of recent shows where the 'check writers' show up. New MoPar owners are particularly 'trippy'. Stroke a check at the dealership, drive over to a buddy's house and have him airbrush "Yosemite Sam" under the hood and you are ready for the next car show. Funny and annoying....but I try to be tolerant especially since they usually have good looking babes with them for some reason.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:54 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

It's sad that there are not more older cars represented at shows- heck, on the street. I remember in the '80's when there were a lot of C1/C2 owners were largely in their 30's and 40's (I'm sorry I don't remember any further back) the cars got driven. I doubt there's much attrition due to wrecks, in fact there are undoubtedly more road-worthy C1/C2 cars out there now than there have been in 30 years. But the cars are seeing less mileage, thus less exposure, thus less public recognition. Yes, I know Matt and Lou and some others are owners of my generation and driving their cars- which is great- but there are not enough of our age group to populate a show field with healthy display.

So, thank you for those of you who were 30, 30 years ago and are 60 now bringing them out to as many shows as ever. I will look at almost any interesting old car, but if I go to a show you can bet my primary goal is to sniff out every interesting old Corvette!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 AM
hankg42
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm on my second C6, but I really have a great appreciation for the first and second generation cars. From the time I was a kid (my dad was a Chevy guy), I thought the Corvette was a thing of beauty. I did get to own a '61 when I was in my early 20's. When it was time to start a family I had to move on. I have many books that I have read and referenced (surprising to see how many contradict one another!) over the years to improve my knowledge. At a show, I gravitate to the older cars and love to have conversations with the owners. Sometimes it's difficult to start the conversation, but it is usually worth it. I am by no means an expert, but I try to ask "intelligent" questions. There is always something new to learn, and it is always interesting.

Get notified of new replies

To Funny thing happened at a Corvette show

Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by stall
I recently quit our local Corvette Club (Rochester Corvette Club) because at every function the would field 60 plus C2s, 30 C1s and my 64. I found them to be completly uninterested in anything more that a year or two out of the showroom. We used to laugh at the PT Cruiser people who drove right from the dealer to the show but lately Corvette guys in Rochester are much worse.

There is a very happy ending; our local AACA welcomes everyone with a car over 25 years old and golly-gee they like to talk about cars.
AACA people are great ! Made me feel VERY welcome. Met alot of nice people and no snobs at all. For once I actually enjoyed a car show instead a meet that felt like a rectal exam.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:15 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

what really blows their minds is when you open the hood and they see a six cylinder !!!!!!!!
most dont know our early cars were a six and an powerglide....... :-)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
The future of our hobby is dependent upon the continued influx of young enthusiastic car owners who have a passion for their rides, whether or not that ride strikes all of our interests. People who bring new chargers, camaros, etc. to cruise nights are rightfully proud of their purchases, For many it is the crowning achievement of some near term life goal of theirs, and we should appreciate what they've done instead of demonstrating myopic loyalty to only the old cars.

62Jeff is dead on with a 0. I don't understand the animosity I'm reading here. One guy complains his Vette club is mostly late model guys, so what? His response is to quit?

Guys, stay involved. Keep hitting the cruise nights and shows.

The guy driving the 2012 Y body is not your enemy.

I can't tell if what I'm reading from this group is jealousy or anger because you don't think you are getting the kudos and respect you believe you deserve.

Have you ever taken some time to ask one of the C5 or C6 guys what they've done to their car? Sure maybe they didn't need to do a frame-off but they often times spend more time under the hood than we do.

As for the check-writers...Come on. I've been to countless shows where the Best of Show was a car restored by a restoration shop. To each his own, some people have more $ than time. Some people don't have the knowledge or maybe they have medical issues that prevents them from really turning a wrench.

Keep your chin up, keep a positive attitude and show these guys that you can exist alongside them without throwing stones or taking your ball and going home.

Quick Reply: Funny thing happened at a Corvette show