C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Funny thing happened at a Corvette show

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
The guy at the left putting his hand inside asked me where are the windows

I don't get it Roy, why would he ask about side windows if he didn't know early cars?
Most people would just figure they were rolled down, wouldn't they?
If legit, me thinkist that the joke may have been on you my friend...

Paul
Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Have you ever taken some time to ask one of the C5 or C6 guys what they've done to their car? Sure maybe they didn't need to do a frame-off but they often times spend more time under the hood than we do.

As for the check-writers...Come on. I've been to countless shows where the Best of Show was a car restored by a restoration shop. To each his own, some people have more $ than time. Some people don't have the knowledge or maybe they have medical issues that prevents them from really turning a wrench.

Thats the or "a" problem. As a late model owner, when I ask other people what they did to their cars, its usually a combination of stick on stuff and " I brought in to the shop". Not much more to talk about.

If a car was restored by a shop, then the shop should get the trophy. I seriously doubt these are the people who will perpetuate the hobby, or if they do it will be in a much different form.

Anyone can drive a nice car to a car show. The true enthusiasts are a dying breed.

My apologies to the OP for going off on a tangent.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

I have and never will criticize another's person Corvette or car. I've always said , that if any owner likes their car or Corvette as it is then I'm happy for them. Because I've heard and seen others do that to owner and always thought why does some one do that.(they dint ask for your opinion) That was my biggest concern when I was a NCRS member (by some people) and not just about my Corvette but many others. I simply enjoy car shows and meeting some good people and answering questions about my 55 and I never enter it to be judged to win anything. Anyone that knows me knows that!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I own 8 (different) cars, belong to 8 different forums, and go to a whole lot of shows. I'm a real estate developer/investor which allows me to have 8 cars and which also prevents me from doing major mechanical or any body work myself. Yet I am as knowledgable and conversent about my cars as just about any other die-hard enthusiast (with the temporary exception of the Corvette since its my first and I've had it all of 90 days). This forum and you guys are helping me with that for which I cannot express well enough how appreciative I am.

I am a well read student of each of my cars. I do my own maintenence, tuneups and minor repairs. I've had two of my cars restored by a shop. Both restorations required that I know the cars inside and out for purposes of authenticity of restoration as well as sourcing of rare parts. Overseeing a $180,000 redo is no small task if done right.

None of this, in my view, makes me any less of an enthusiast than some of you who are capable of doing everything yourself, and I think we should be careful when we go down that road in conversation. Everyone's circumstances are a little different.

For those of you who do it all yourself; I understand how no-nothing types with big wallets and no imagination can give you pause, but it is a big hobby with a lot of people in it and we need to be tolerant.

Dan

Last edited by dplotkin; 04-13-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by g267
62Jeff is dead on with a 0. I don't understand the animosity I'm reading here. One guy complains his Vette club is mostly late model guys, so what? His response is to quit?

Guys, stay involved. Keep hitting the cruise nights and shows.

The guy driving the 2012 Y body is not your enemy.

I can't tell if what I'm reading from this group is jealousy or anger because you don't think you are getting the kudos and respect you believe you deserve.

Have you ever taken some time to ask one of the C5 or C6 guys what they've done to their car? Sure maybe they didn't need to do a frame-off but they often times spend more time under the hood than we do.

As for the check-writers...Come on. I've been to countless shows where the Best of Show was a car restored by a restoration shop. To each his own, some people have more $ than time. Some people don't have the knowledge or maybe they have medical issues that prevents them from really turning a wrench.

Keep your chin up, keep a positive attitude and show these guys that you can exist alongside them without throwing stones or taking your ball and going home.

I own a '67 (41 years!) and a '06. Love em both, and belong to a club with members who have everything from '62s to an original owner '63 on up to a 2011 GS. We all seem to get along. What's the problem here, folks? I don't understand what the issue is!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 04-13-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Unfortunately this is how Corvette owners get a reputation of being snobs. Unless you can't find a place to park and are sent home because there is no longer any space, why do you care?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I think maybe I just have a problem. When I see new Corvettes or all those new performance cars I think to myself wow really nice car. But when I see a old Corvette I will do almost anything to catch up to it, to get a better look, to follow it maybe get to talk to the owner to tell him I admire his work and his car. If I am being closed minded or having sub standards then I guess Im guilty as charged.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Younger People

I was lucky enough to go to the SEMA show last year and saw pwople of all ages. We need to pass on our knowledge to everyone that will listen. We need to try and involve everyone including the fairer sex. My concern is being able to pass down this knowledge. Hopefully the younger people on here will keep the passion going.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ps374
I think maybe I just have a problem. When I see new Corvettes or all those new performance cars I think to myself wow really nice car. But when I see a old Corvette I will do almost anything to catch up to it, to get a better look, to follow it maybe get to talk to the owner to tell him I admire his work and his car. If I am being closed minded or having sub standards then I guess Im guilty as charged.
I feel the same way, but I don't let the fact that there are new cars at a show or cruise bother me. They have just as much right to be there as I do.

I don't go over and drool over the new cars, but I might take a look if there is something special about them. I drove a new Vette recently and I have to tell you, if I could get my car to stop and go like the new ones, I'd be in heaven. I just can't afford it.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Nikko
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vt65
really want to pi$$ them off? ... wear a tee shirt that says "Real Corvettes have bumpers" ...
I have a T-Shirt that says "Did They Make A Corvette After 1967?". I wear it to car shows and Bloomington Gold every year. I mostly get lots of laughs and even some people asking to take a picture of it. However, I have had more than one guy come right up to me and tell me "Yes they did, infact my 20?? will walk all over your 1967". I just say something like "Good to know", so as not to start any trouble. Amazing that some people just don't get a joke ...
Old 04-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

I only read this thread because it's hyperlinked on the main page.

With that said, I don't get the uppity/snobby attitude some maintain. A Corvette is a Corvette...whether it's old, new, pristine or ragged.

Who cares if someone bought a car and rolled right to the show? Who cares if you can go to a dealer and see the same thing? I can go to a Ferrari dealer and see Ferraris all day long. I can go to the corvette museum and see C1s all day long.

Are you really going to fault new car owners for participating in events? Is that the car hobby spirit? Or is that just your typical corvette/classic car snobbery?

No wonder people have such a negative opinion.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

That's the stereotype. I get annoyed that new cars with little/no substantial work win all the awards, but I don't go to shows for the awards anyway. I go to look at cars that I won't see at the mall every day. I like the C5 and C6, particularly when they've had some work done beyond stickers and exhaust tips. A stock 97 isn't a car I'm going to bash, but I'm also not gonna spend a lot of time looking it at, no matter how much I drooled over them when I was 17 and they were revolutionary.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:05 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Godholio
... I get annoyed that new cars with little/no substantial work win all the awards ...
I enjoy a variety of cars and I'm glad new and old are shown. But I'm much less impressed by a new car that looks new, than an old car that looks new. The new car should look new.

Cheers,
JB
Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Roy, I have learned a lot from your posts and admire the way you keep the bubbletop '55 so beautiful yet use it often, the best of both worlds.

You said all but the two were new(er) cars. Strictly true, I suppose, but the C3 and C2 I can see in your picture are old Corvettes to me! Then again I'm only 63 and have had my '64 since 1966.

They keep you young, don't they?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

I have my dream car a 1965 StingRay, but a show with all C2's would be a real drag, I would not stay for long! I like to see the C5 C6 cars and the Mopar, Fords and everything in between. I love parking my '65 between a couple of C6's, What a great view old to new. People are people no mater what they drive. I would have a new Z06 in a heatbeat if I had the cash.

Dave
Old 04-13-2012, 06:32 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsarge
I have to agree, most of the corvette shows around here are the same. Mostly newer vettes and the owners do not really have much interest in the older ones. Maybe it is just a silent envy, or should be, nothing like the older vettes, for class and style.
What I find is that the New Vette owners don't have the cash to buy a older Vette or do not want to but a project to work on for a few years.They don't know how what tinkering is about. They mainly use there laptops to tune there cars.
I agree with Sarge its silent envy !

Last edited by VetteRed1965; 04-13-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

A lot of them use the Vettes as daily drivers.

Get notified of new replies

To Funny thing happened at a Corvette show

Old 04-13-2012, 08:51 PM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I'm extremely blessed myself to have inherited a gorgeous restored '64 coupe. However, I have no where near the knowledge that the person I inherited had. However, even though I am careful about what I do on the it, to make sure I don't make it worse, I am proud to try to keep it in as tip top condition as possible.

I still love driving it even though it was built 6 years before I was even conceived.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

I have and never will criticize another's person Corvette or car. I've always said , that if any owner likes their car or Corvette as it is then I'm happy for them. Because I've heard and seen others do that to owner and always thought why does some one do that.(they dint ask for your opinion) That was my biggest concern when I was a NCRS member (by some people) and not just about my Corvette but many others. I simply enjoy car shows and meeting some good people and answering questions about my 55 and I never enter it to be judged to win anything. Anyone that knows me knows that!
with you Roy....I can appreciate all cars ....even the new ones as they each have their place. I really enjoy driving my 58 but for longer distances I drive my C5Z. Why do I have a newer Vette? Probably because it has air and handles real good....I can also cruise at 80mph effortlessly.

But it is for sure the C-1 that gets the looks and the

Fred
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Went to a Corvette only car show and 99% of the 200 and more were newer Corvettes . I in my 55 and the guy next to me having a 53 had to inform many of the Corvette people that our cars are Corvettes and what they looked like in the beginning. It was surprising how many people dint know 55 was the first year having a V8.The guy at the left putting his hand inside asked me where are the windows

When was the last time you went to a Corvette show?What you described is what a Corvette show is anymore.The funniest part in all this is when you see a fairly new C6,bone stock with the poster board pictures and trophies.

Quick Reply: Funny thing happened at a Corvette show