C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Judging Cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 AM
RedVetteMike
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a '65 a couple of years ago. I soon joined the NCRS. I go for originality and so if you like that you would love an outfit like the NCRS. Following their published speciafications the car took a TF in 11/12. I tell many that the NCRS is not for everyone. But if you want your car back original as produced the organization is the ticket. I have met a great bunch of folks there and have made many friends. A few of these are a bit over the top, but that is true in most every organization. Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your car like you want to.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,281 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I do not see why you continue to chew on this bone, just move on and let others enjoy their concept of Corvette ownership.
Too bad some people can't enjoy the full spectrum of Corvette ownership.
Regards, John McGraw
Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
I believe that the beauty of this hobby is that there are MANY DIFFERENT ways to enjoy a Vintage Corvette.
All of them are good

Originally Posted by SpartyGW
Thanks. He's numbers matching just like my 61. He also sometimes leaks some fluids just like my 61.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Hope I didn't bruise any egos in the process of my opinion. Don't get me wrong.... I wouldn't have four old bones in the garage if I didn't like them. I just think the process is another money fed ego experience similar to NASCAR. A car is only new once.
Replace the part that fails and drive them. Leave the financial brag to wall street.
Have a great day and don't be afraid to to use it like the transportation it was intended to be. The bodies don't collapse from use and the supply of GM engines is endless.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 AM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do enjoy looking at the restored Vets, resto-mods and the daily drivers. They all offer various ideas for me to consider. The owners are generally very helpful in answering questions that I may have about my own car.

I have changed a few things with my Vet like installing a 5 speed, duel master cyl, polished the aluminum etc. Mostly for reliablity and safety and just because I like it. I have not changed anything that I can not change back and have kept all of the original parts. I have had more than enough suposed Corvette experts offer their opinions without being asked. The car had a 66 grill when I bought it 16 years ago, when I'm told that it has the wrong grill (like I didn't know) I say "well give me the $500.00 and I'll replace it". Most of the time I notice that these folks may have a picture of a Vet to show me but are NOT driving a Vet.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:34 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by macs65
I say "well give me the $500.00 and I'll replace it".
I like that
Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 PM
steveale
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently pursuing an NCRS restoration. Yes, I am working to a standard that others have set...but I am ok with that. Finding those properly dated and accurate NOS parts are part of the fun. Kind of like a treasure hunt. I enjoy and drive my projects and I will drive this one too (eventually). Whether I make TF or not won't break my heart (so I say now)....but I am truly inspired by those like 55Copper who not only have TF corvettes, but probably drive and use them more than the "driver/non-ncrs" crowd. I can gaze in amazement at a resto-mod just as equally as a flight car....and just a nice car is equally awesome. They are all good...and a ***** is a *****, no matter which side of the fence they fall....just enjoy your cars and the fellowship.

Now, since it is 73 and sunny at my house today... I think I'll jump on my '42 Harley and go for a spin through the back roads

Last edited by steveale; 03-15-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:37 PM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The longer you are in this "sport," the more you realize you have two choices. If winning is important, get yourself a 100 point car and brace for the scrutiny. Personally, if I'm at a show that I know is full of pickyass judges, I use the second choice; I simply decline to be judged. Yeah, I won't win that really nice trophy or plaque that I don't have any room for anymore, but I will get to talk to a lot of nice people and have a fun day driving there and driving home.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXTSVN
The longer you are in this "sport," the more you realize you have two choices. If winning is important, get yourself a 100 point car and brace for the scrutiny. Personally, if I'm at a show that I know is full of pickyass judges, I use the second choice; I simply decline to be judged. Yeah, I won't win that really nice trophy or plaque that I don't have any room for anymore, but I will get to talk to a lot of nice people and have a fun day driving there and driving home.

Quick Reply: Judging Cars