C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Steering question

Old 08-02-2013, 02:15 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Steering question

Guys,

I am still having trouble with the steering hub and shaft in my 66. I bought a new shaft and put new upper and lower bearings in. When I attempted to install the hub it only went on about 1/3 of the way and then it bound up. I thought I had it but when I took it for a drive the hub spun on the shaft. I checked my original hub and the new shaft. Both of them were flattened in the spline area. I tried to install the hub on the shaft again but with no success. I ordered a new hub and a new shaft. I marked the shaft just like I did the first replacement unit. I got it all together and it worked until today. I was going to turn the wheels on the car to allow room to work on the bumper brackets in the fender well. The damn hub spun again.

For those who have replaced these shafts and hubs, how far is the hub supposed to go onto the shaft? What did you do to get the hub further onto the shaft, if anything? Thanks for any help.

Steve
Old 08-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Steve,
I recently replaced the steering shaft in my '66. The lower bearing went out and the race carved a groove in the shaft through the years. I got my new shaft from Long Island Corvette along with the bearings etc. I simply reassembled the parts as they came off. My hub tightened down with little effort until it bottomed out. I am away from the car right now so I can't take any pics. When I return home I will take some shots of the hub for you.

Dennis
Old 08-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Do you have any pics of the hub on the shaft? Sounds like the hub is not fully seated on the shaft. Perhaps the shaft is too deep in the rag joint and not allowing the shaft to engage the hub splines through far enough?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Sky65
Do you have any pics of the hub on the shaft? Sounds like the hub is not fully seated on the shaft. Perhaps the shaft is too deep in the rag joint and not allowing the shaft to engage the hub splines through far enough?

I purposely moved the shaft up in the rag joint and then re-tightened it before I installed the hub again. It stuck up at least an inch. I tightened the hub but it never gets more that a 1/3 grab of the splines on the shaft. Don't know if it is my hub or if it is the shaft that is bad. Both seem to have mashed splines. Not sure how that happened but I know it isn't correct.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Steering question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering question