C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 Grab bar / Dash insert help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 AM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Default 1960 Grab bar / Dash insert help

I'm making progress with my new old gal. I installed the seat belts readjusted the glove box so it will stay shut and have moved on to the grab bar.

Bubba has been here for sure on this one. I was able to remove the grab bar and the brackets are in place and not loose thank goodness. However, I'm not sure how to get the insert out? It looks like bubba tried to slide that insert back but was unable to and just left it looking like crap and hacked it up in the grab bar area. I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not missing a step because it feels stuck and I don't want to start ripping and tearing for concern of my dash pad. Is it possible someone would have glued this piece in? Should there be anything behind the insert besides the dash pad? I'm hoping worst case is I just have to sacrifice the insert and get a new one. Just looking for some advice.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:56 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
However, I'm not sure how to get the insert out?
You have to remove the brackets

Should there be anything behind the insert besides the dash pad? I'm hoping worst case is I just have to sacrifice the insert and get a new one. Just looking for some advice.
Not sure what you mean, but the insert assembly is bolted to the dash, through the dash pad, with studs that penetrate the fiberglass dash assembly. There are 3 nuts on 3 studs to be removed, once you get the brackets out of the way.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:22 AM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Not sure if you know but corvette central has a great video on youtube on how to put the insert back together.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:24 AM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Ok I think I see what you are saying. I looked under the dash and this is what I see.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:42 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok I think I see what you are saying. I looked under the dash and this is what I see....
Okaaaayyyy, see that 1/2" or so wide slotted hole just to the right of the big opening? A stud from the grab bar insert is supposed to be penetrating that hole, and a nut should be there.

When people install new dash pads, they have to remove a lot of the foam from behind the insert, so that the insert will push deeply enough into the dash to allow that middle stud to penetrate. When I did mine, I had to push the insert really had and just barely got a nut on that stud. Then I tightened the nut to pull the insert further in place which allowed me to start the other nuts.

It looks like whomever installed that dash pad did not even cut a slot in the pad for behind the insert, and now the insert is just hanging out in the wrong spot.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 09-29-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:49 AM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

So I understand why it is the way it is. So in theory I should be able to push it on through and atleast make it look 1/2 way decent until I want to remove and restore/replace.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:52 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

So I understand why it is the way it is. So in theory I should be able to push it on through and atleast make it look 1/2 way decent until I want to remove and restore/replace.
Perhaps.

1) Try pushing it, see what happens. Push on the top/bottom only, as the stainless steel strips are attached to the metal framework that contains the aluminum insert

2) If that doesn't work, you'll have to remove the brackets and pull the insert out so that you can trim away dash padding before trying again.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:00 AM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Thank you
Old 10-02-2013, 03:20 PM
CorvetteCentral.com
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wilbur
Not sure if you know but corvette central has a great video on youtube on how to put the insert back together.
http://www.corvettecentral.com/media...sh_insert.html

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 Grab bar / Dash insert help

Quick Reply: 1960 Grab bar / Dash insert help