C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

glove box door

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 10:27 PM
JEBMILAM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glove box door

anyone every replace the metal panel that is the middle portion of the glove box door. ie the piece that the emblem is attached to. i was given a new part when i bought the car it but am unsure how to approach the rivets in the door. thanks
Old 07-09-2002, 10:35 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: glove box door (JEBMILAM)

I replaced mine with mathching navy naugahide - so that the panel doesn't scuff like the aluminum. Check the Details link of my home page (listed below) to see what that looks like.

The procedure is to remove the glove box door. Center punch the rivets and drill a small hole in each that will take small sheet metal screws with heads about the size of the rivet heads. Use a larger drill or dremel tool to cut the rivet heads off and release the insert. Put in the new insert (or naugahide replacement), screw in the small sheet metal screws. If you want NCRS points, regrind the tip of an old drill to cut the profile of the rivet into the screw heads. If not, leave well enough alone, because if you use the car, the insert will get scuffed.

[Modified by magicv8, 8:36 PM 7/9/2002]

[Modified by magicv8, 8:37 PM 7/9/2002]
Old 07-09-2002, 10:50 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: glove box door (JEBMILAM)

..THE worst job on a midyear....drill out the rivets with an oversize drill and carefully pry off the back plate.....remove the emblem the same way....peel the protective cover off the new plate and epoxy the emblem from the back...NOW you can choose your own personal hell - drill out the door studs and tap for the screws that came with the kit OR epoxy the back plate to the door, using lots of spring clamps and epoxy aluminum river heads back on the studs - looks like the original..the job still sucks - better off rebuilding the engine with a hammer and chisel

Get notified of new replies

To glove box door

Quick Reply: glove box door