C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tom Parsons (DZAUTO) Converting 56-62 NON-posi rears to posi (PDF version)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 737 Likes on 457 Posts

Default Tom Parsons (DZAUTO) Converting 56-62 NON-posi rears to posi (PDF version)

"As an after thought, now that Dave has committed himself, we should also get Dave to do the same thing with the article I put together on converting 56-62 (also 55-64 pass cars) NON-posi rears to posi."

Taking the cue from Tom, I found his article on the conversion of non-posi to posi rears and working with Tom we have produced a PDF version of his earlier thread on making the conversion. Tom's well-documented instructional material is attached.

Thanks again to Tom for pulling the info together and for putting up with lots of e-mail communications!

Dave Z
Attached Images  
Attached Images

Last edited by DZVette; 03-04-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Dave,

You might want to revise the pdf name (it says 51-...).

Thanks to Tom & Dave!

Plasticman
Old 03-04-2014, 05:34 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 737 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Dave,

You might want to revise the pdf name (it says 51-...).

Thanks to Tom & Dave!

Plasticman
Good catch John!
I've corrected the file name.
Dave Z
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Again, credit needs to be directed where credit is due, Dave Zuberer, for taking my article and elevating it to a much better format.
These early rears are MUCH more common than the front suspension article that I put together, since they were also used on 55-64 passenger cars.
Over the years, I cannot even begin to count the times that early Chevy owners have expressed that they wished their 57 Chevy (or whatever) had a posi rear. Now it's possible for them to have one.
I also attempted to keep this upgrade to a posi as simple as possible, so that the average home mechanic could do it on the workbench. Sooooooooooooooo many times, people have made negative comments about the very hi-dollar, professional mods and swaps which often appear in the performance magazines, such as HOTROD. And that there are not enough simple, "backyard" articles directed toward the guys that are on a VERY limited budget. I consider myself to be in that catagory. For the most part, I regard Corvette owners as people who PAY to have work done on their cars (and that includes most members here), rather than get their hands greasy and have bloody knuckles from wrenching.

Get notified of new replies

To Tom Parsons (DZAUTO) Converting 56-62 NON-posi rears to posi (PDF version)

Quick Reply: Tom Parsons (DZAUTO) Converting 56-62 NON-posi rears to posi (PDF version)