C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

FI heat barrier

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default FI heat barrier

a friend sent a picture from an article in the recent NCRS Restorer about using a piece of Hardee Board as an insulator to shield the spider.

seems as it may have merit.... anyone seen the article?

opinions? (yeah, and not of the "everyone has one" kind. .)
Bill
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2014, 05:30 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Looks like it might work. However, it might just keep the heat in? I might try using a piece of asbestos shingle in that shape rather than a metal shield.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:48 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Looks like it might work. However, it might just keep the heat in? I might try using a piece of asbestos shingle in that shape rather than a metal shield.
are you using a piece of metal, or do you think the Hardee Board is metal? (it's not, it's a form of concrete......)
Bill
Old 08-06-2014, 06:04 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I think that the 1 piece 1/8" thick base gasket is a better choice.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

I've seen these new of ebay for about $40 from a guy in FLA. I think he can even make them for later model FI units.....................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/58-59-60-61-62-CORVETTE-FUEL-INJECTION-PARTS-LOT-/131259299447?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8fa9f677&vxp=mtr
Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
a friend sent a picture from an article in the recent NCRS Restorer about using a piece of Hardee Board as an insulator to shield the spider.

Bill
Bill,

Brian Futo wrote that article. I have spoke with him before and he claims it works in AZ heat. That is where he rebuilds FI units. I currently put a piece of reflective heat barrier on my base plate under the spider and have noticed a difference.

If you try the technique in the article, let us FI guys know how it works. I would imagine the hardy board would absorb heat well.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
I think that the 1 piece 1/8" thick base gasket is a better choice.
Could the one piece gasket be mounted over the Hardee Board cutout?
Old 08-07-2014, 01:58 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
Could the one piece gasket be mounted over the Hardee Board cutout?
first thought... there must have been a reason GM stopped making the one piece gasket, and i can't imagine that there is much of an R-value to that gasket material.

2nd thought.... i THINK the hardee board would be too thick and would stick up above the gasket surface the one piece gasket has to fit.

3rd thought... the reflective heat barrier (if it has an R-value) sounds like a good idea.

if Brian says it works, especially on a C1, in AZ; then it sounds to be worth trying. especially if a piece of the reflective material could be put on the bottom....
Bill
Old 08-07-2014, 02:01 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jtranger
Bill,

Brian Futo wrote that article. I have spoke with him before and he claims it works in AZ heat. That is where he rebuilds FI units. I currently put a piece of reflective heat barrier on my base plate under the spider and have noticed a difference.

If you try the technique in the article, let us FI guys know how it works. I would imagine the hardy board would absorb heat well.
, with the conversion, heat is no longer a problem for me; BUT, if i had heard of these things before converting, i might still be running the rochester...
Bill
Old 08-08-2014, 02:52 AM
Nev Williams
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62

Bill
Hi Bill,
I would be wary about using Hardie Product esp where heat is involved. the stuff will turn into weetbix in short order.

I used to work at James Hardie here in New Zealand for 18 years designing their production machinery. They removed the asbestos from the product years ago, so it's heat resisting qualities are diminished greatly (as well as it's strength). They replaced the asbestos with craft pulp - essentially brown cardboard pulped and shredded.

Neville
Old 08-08-2014, 05:28 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Nev Williams
Hi Bill,
I would be wary about using Hardie Product esp where heat is involved. the stuff will turn into weetbix in short order.

I used to work at James Hardie here in New Zealand for 18 years designing their production machinery. They removed the asbestos from the product years ago, so it's heat resisting qualities are diminished greatly (as well as it's strength). They replaced the asbestos with craft pulp - essentially brown cardboard pulped and shredded.

Neville
thank you, Hardie Board is used extensively here as an exterior siding product in wet environments (Florida... )

sure is fire resistant tho, but not sure if there is an R-value in that...

http://www.homeadvisor.com/article.s...ing.15726.html

Bill
Old 08-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Rumblegutz
Burning Brakes

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

wmf62, can you give me a volume and edition number for the Futo article. Or the year and season please.

Dan
Old 08-08-2014, 12:12 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumblegutz
wmf62, can you give me a volume and edition number for the Futo article. Or the year and season please.

Dan
Corvette Restorer, volume 40, number 3, winter 2014 page 32
Old 08-08-2014, 12:50 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I can't help but be somewhat skeptical about the use of a heat barrier between the adapter plate and the plenum.
Once the engine and engine compartment is THOROUGHLY heated up, it would seem that the ENTIRE area in and around the area of the top of the engine would be the same temperature. It would seem that the temperature surrounding the engine would also work its way between the heat barrier and the underside of the plenum, until movement of the car and airflow from the fan begins to remove the hot air under the plenum. Once that occurs, everything works fine.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
...... until movement of the car and airflow from the fan begins to remove the hot air under the plenum. Once that occurs, everything works fine.
As counter-intuitive as it may seem, the engine fan actually contributes to spider and nozzle line heating. If you watch the temperatures of the nozzle lines, you see them change suddenly after the thermostat opens and the radiator starts flowing hot coolant. It's due to the hot air which begins flooding the engine bay.

Jim
Old 08-09-2014, 09:42 AM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I can't help but be somewhat skeptical about the use of a heat barrier between the adapter plate and the plenum.
Once the engine and engine compartment is THOROUGHLY heated up, it would seem that the ENTIRE area in and around the area of the top of the engine would be the same temperature. It would seem that the temperature surrounding the engine would also work its way between the heat barrier and the underside of the plenum, until movement of the car and airflow from the fan begins to remove the hot air under the plenum. Once that occurs, everything works fine.
I have heard it postulated that the hot oil hits the underside of the adaptor and causes the adaptor to be hotter than the surrounding water temperature cooled components. This would lend some credibility to the need to put a thermal barrier between the adaptor and the spider. You could also put a heat shield on the underside of the adaptor to prevent the direct impingement of the oil unto the underside of the adaptor. Chevrolet did this with some of the HP intakes.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:09 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry gollnick
I have heard it postulated that the hot oil hits the underside of the adaptor and causes the adaptor to be hotter than the surrounding water temperature cooled components. This would lend some credibility to the need to put a thermal barrier between the adaptor and the spider. You could also put a heat shield on the underside of the adaptor to prevent the direct impingement of the oil unto the underside of the adaptor. Chevrolet did this with some of the HP intakes.
Great point Jerry!
Old 08-09-2014, 02:18 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I believe that heat shield was riveted to the underside of the manifold was to keep motor oil from cooking/caking on the bottom of the even hotter exhaust crossover passage.

Could be wrong though.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:25 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I believe that heat shield was riveted to the underside of the manifold was to keep motor oil from cooking/caking on the bottom of the even hotter exhaust crossover passage.
You are correct - that's exactly what the shield is for; fortunately, the F.I. cars don't have to worry about it.

Get notified of new replies

To FI heat barrier

Quick Reply: FI heat barrier