C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

license plate light wire

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:36 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default license plate light wire

my light over the license plate isn't working . It hasn't worked for quite awhile but the bulb is good. I had a problem with the stop/turn lights recently (see previous posts) and got them fixed . Now out of boredom, I figured I'd get the license plate light to work. Looking at the brown wire , it has a large molded section in it . Is this a built in resistor or what ? If I can get it to work I'll tackle the courtesy light under the convertible hatch (the other courtesy light all work ) . I just electrical problems LOL .
Old 11-26-2014, 02:40 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,295 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Besides the hot wire going to the light socket, which I do not believe should have a resister or anything else in it, there is a ground wire that fastens to one of the housing screws, I believe the forward most one. This assumes you are discussing a mid year. Often the connection for that ground wire is bad. I would begin there if you have tested your hot wire already.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:56 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

the ground wire is clean and you are right it connects to the forward most screw . 1966 327/300 vert
Old 11-26-2014, 02:57 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Redctoo
my light over the license plate isn't working . It hasn't worked for quite awhile but the bulb is good. I had a problem with the stop/turn lights recently (see previous posts) and got them fixed . Now out of boredom, I figured I'd get the license plate light to work. Looking at the brown wire , it has a large molded section in it . Is this a built in resistor or what ? If I can get it to work I'll tackle the courtesy light under the convertible hatch (the other courtesy light all work ) . I just electrical problems LOL .
The molded section isn't a resistor - it covers a splice where the 18-ga. brown hot wire from the harness becomes the 18-ga. black wire at the bulb socket. As noted, your issue is most likely a bad ground connection.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:23 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The molded section isn't a resistor - it covers a splice where the 18-ga. brown hot wire from the harness becomes the 18-ga. black wire at the bulb socket. As noted, your issue is most likely a bad ground connection.
Thanks JohnZ- I noticed the big molded section but didn't notice the change in Color . Thanks again, I off to look for a bad ground !
Old 11-26-2014, 05:31 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

It WAS a ground problem . The light works now, first time in 12yrs .
Now for another light problem, the back courtesy light under the vert lid .
I sort of attempted this a few yrs ago and it seems that with a bulb in place it would blow a fuse . So I left it out .
Old 11-27-2014, 02:37 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Redctoo
Now for another light problem, the back courtesy light under the vert lid .
I sort of attempted this a few yrs ago and it seems that with a bulb in place it would blow a fuse . So I left it out .
Make sure you use the correct bulb (#90, with two contacts) for the courtesy lights; if you use a single-contact bulb, it'll blow the fuse.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To license plate light wire

Quick Reply: license plate light wire