C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Opinions on A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:30 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Opinions on A/C compressor

I have the Old Air system in my 66 convertible with the original GM compressor converted to the 134 freon. The front seal on the compressor is bad. Old Air offers a rebuilt GM for $225 plus I need a new drier. The tech at Old Air recommended a new Sanden which would require new hoses and a new bracket. The Sanden does not have a front seal and he says they are trouble free. They are much lighter and only pull 3 to 4 hp. They GM pulls 12 hp. They offer them in black, aluminum, polished alum and chrome. The black and the alum are $195 new.

I can't decide which way to go. I like the idea of having a more efficient, lighter trouble free compressor but I don't want to give up the original look. If I go with the Sanden, I like the idea of polished aluminum. The GM is less money and much easier to install but my real concern is the looks. I would probably use it more with the Sanden as you don't notice the drag on the engine as much. I guess I am leaning toward the Sanden but wanted some opinions on the choice. BTW, my car has R & P steering, 5 speed and many other non original goodies. Thanks
Old 12-18-2014, 08:13 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MarkC
I have the Old Air system in my 66 convertible with the original GM compressor converted to the 134 freon. The front seal on the compressor is bad. Old Air offers a rebuilt GM for $225 plus I need a new drier. The tech at Old Air recommended a new Sanden which would require new hoses and a new bracket. The Sanden does not have a front seal and he says they are trouble free. They are much lighter and only pull 3 to 4 hp. They GM pulls 12 hp. They offer them in black, aluminum, polished alum and chrome. The black and the alum are $195 new.

I can't decide which way to go. I like the idea of having a more efficient, lighter trouble free compressor but I don't want to give up the original look. If I go with the Sanden, I like the idea of polished aluminum. The GM is less money and much easier to install but my real concern is the looks. I would probably use it more with the Sanden as you don't notice the drag on the engine as much. I guess I am leaning toward the Sanden but wanted some opinions on the choice. BTW, my car has R & P steering, 5 speed and many other non original goodies. Thanks
If we were talking about a daily driver that saw 5,000+ miles a year I would agree that the lighter, more efficient Sanden would be compelling. Consider how often you use the car with the A/C on before you go to all the adaptation trouble and aesthetic compromise.

Someone makes a modern compressor in a dimensionaly equivalent case that will match the original A6 fittings and mountings. It isn't exact but once sprayed black it will not stand out like a sore thumb.

All A6 front shafts sling some oil, or will after some time following seal replacement. I have many of these on many cars. The oil slinging is what keeps the seal wet. If it were my car I'd stay with the A6 & add a sling shield to protect the hood.

Dan
Old 12-18-2014, 08:32 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Sanden

I have a 66 and a 68. On my 68 factory A/C system I use a Sanden compressor with R-12. I updated the drier and fan and you could hang meat in my cabin. On the 66 I have a Vintage Air system with a Sanden which uses R-134. Both systems work very well. I have a 70 SS Chevelle with a A-6 compressor, updated valve and a crossflow condencer. The 70 works OK, but it is clearly not as cold or efficient as the Sanden set up. I am too old to be uncomfortable for the look of a stock compressor. I guess I will be changing the A-6 out in the Chevelle soon . Jerry
Old 12-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

I'll second Dan's comment about the new axial compressor that's a direct bolt-in replacement for the A6. Called the Pro6TEN.

Check out Old Air Products, Fort Worth. They have it for $345, which is not bad considering you don't have to change brackets.

I don't run one myself, but one of these days I'm going to get tired of messing with A6's and get one.

Just remember that if you're using R12, you'll probably need to drain the as-delivered oil out of the Pro6TEN since I expect it comes with ester oil for R134.

Last edited by Mike Geary; 12-18-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:44 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
The 70 (A6) works OK, but it is clearly not as cold or efficient as the Sanden set up....

Not as efficient, yes, not as cold, absolutely false. There is more disinformation and lore out there about compressor, condenser and refrigerants than there is about gluten free foods. And I don't mean to be confrontational or argumentative, just an admirer of facts.

A healthy A6 in an otherwise properly evacuated and charged stock system, with correct airflow over the condenser and evaporator will produce meat locker cold using R12 OR 134-A. I have the cars & thermometers to prove it. A modern compressor will not make your car colder. The transfer of heat and removal of water from air, which is all the system can accomplish, is a function of pumping ability of the compressor through an air free/leak free/moisture free circuit between the two heat exchangers in the system, along with properly operating expansion valve and controls, whether STV, POA cycling t-stat or Orifice tube.

If your system is not as cold as another, it's because the system has a fault or faults and not because of the era of its design. GM was very aware of how much cooling was necessary to be effective in a car and the original A6 systems were quite up to the task.

Was the A6 heavy? Yes. Did it take up a lot of space? Yes. Do they make a mess with oil spray? Yes. Are they ugly? yes. Are they harder to find and/or fix nowadays? Yes.

I agree with you those are sufficient reasons to change to a modern unit. Does an A6 cool with the best of them? Absolutely!

Sorry for the rant. I have a lot of time, money & study invested in my understanding of antique automotive air conditioning systems.

Dan
Old 12-18-2014, 02:39 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the responses, I have put 12000 miles on this car since I got it 3 1/2 years ago. I use the car on a regular basis all year long. I talked to Old Air last summer and the other compressor mentioned was not offered. My A6 is on the 134 gas so switching to another compressor is not a problem. I am going to call them back in the next several days. Thanks
Old 12-18-2014, 05:22 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

I talked to Old Air and the PRO6TEN is the way to go. I can go with a plain alum finish, polished alum or chrome. Another question, are the fridgedare decals available? Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I talked to Old Air and the PRO6TEN is the way to go. I can go with a plain alum finish, polished alum or chrome. Another question, are the fridgedare decals available? Thanks again for the suggestions.
LICS has them. Probably CC, Zip, Paragon also.

Larry
Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks
Old 12-24-2014, 10:07 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

I received the PRO6TEN compressor and a new drier. I got the natural finish and plan to paint it black. I don't know if I am going to bother with the decal as there is a ridge where the decal goes. If anyone has a picture of the compressor with the decal, please post it. I am hoping to have it on the car by the end of January.

Question, any suggestions on a primer for aluminum and should I go with satin or flat black. Once I get it on the car, I'll post some pictures and give an opinion on the performance. I appreciate the suggestions and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

I received the PRO6TEN compressor and a new drier. I got the natural finish and plan to paint it black. I don't know if I am going to bother with the decal as there is a ridge where the decal goes. If anyone has a picture of the compressor with the decal, please post it. I am hoping to have it on the car by the end of January.

Question, any suggestions on a primer for aluminum and should I go with satin or flat black. Once I get it on the car, I'll post some pictures and give an opinion on the performance. I appreciate the suggestions and Merry Christmas.
I would just clean it with acetone, scuff it with a gray scotchbrite pad and give it 2 light coats of Krylon 1613 semi-flat black.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:26 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
I would just clean it with acetone, scuff it with a gray scotchbrite pad and give it 2 light coats of Krylon 1613 semi-flat black.

Exactly. Skip the decal, in my opinion. Brings nothing to the party.

Merry Christmas/Happy New Year

Dan
Old 04-14-2015, 03:10 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

I got the new PRO6TEN installed yesterday. here is a picture.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:25 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Looks like a good decision to me! Great job.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Very nice……..

Thanks for the feedback.

Larry
Old 04-14-2015, 03:56 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

That looks great and as this is next on my list please tell us why you picked this compressor? Does this unit not have a front seal to start leaking? Also, who made the hoses for it and I am assuming you are using 134? Lastly how does it work? Thanks

Steve
Old 04-14-2015, 06:23 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C2Racer
That looks great and as this is next on my list please tell us why you picked this compressor? Does this unit not have a front seal to start leaking? Also, who made the hoses for it and I am assuming you are using 134? Lastly how does it work? Thanks

Steve
Old Air now offers three choices for a compressor. My system is over 10 years old and the front seal on the rebuilt GM compressor started leaking. I could have gotten another rebuilt GM, a Sanden or this one. Old Air says this compressor is trouble free and requires 3-4 hp. The GM pulls 12hp. This compressor fit in my old brackets and uses the same hoses where the Sanden required new hoses and brackets. It really cools well however I have a vent hose leak that I need to get fixed on the driver's side. It works great and yes it is 134 gas. If I was putting in a new system I would probably go with the Sanden.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on A/C compressor

Old 04-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Old Air now offers three choices for a compressor. My system is over 10 years old and the front seal on the rebuilt GM compressor started leaking. I could have gotten another rebuilt GM, a Sanden or this one. Old Air says this compressor is trouble free and requires 3-4 hp. The GM pulls 12hp. This compressor fit in my old brackets and uses the same hoses where the Sanden required new hoses and brackets. It really cools well however I have a vent hose leak that I need to get fixed on the driver's side. It works great and yes it is 134 gas. If I was putting in a new system I would probably go with the Sanden.
Another option is a NEW a-6 compressor. There is a company that is making them again with a few improvements over the original design. Company name is ALMA Products Company in Michigan.

Larry
Old 05-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Rustman
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Mark

So its been about a year since you installed your PRO6TEN compressor and I was wondering how it worked out and if given the chance, would you do it again?
Old 05-10-2016, 10:15 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

I took a nice ride last Sunday and ran it for the last 30 minutes. It works great and I have had no issues. This is the first time since last year I have used the a/c. If I was installing a/c on a car I would go with the Sanden as it is smaller. Since it hooked up to my hoses and used the same bracket, I went with the Pro6ten. No regrets.

Quick Reply: Opinions on A/C compressor