C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

AC - water pump - crank belt alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 03:38 PM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Default AC - water pump - crank belt alignment

My 66 - 327 NOM w/L79 - 1965 had the A6 and various parts added back to the get the AC working a few years ago before I bought the car. The past year the A6 shaft seal as began showing signs of leaking when cold, so I added the pulley shield so minimize the Freon spray.

Pulley on the water pump has always look incorrect to me. The angle of the AC belt looks tilted as if the compressor too forward toward the front and the belt looks too wide for the water pump pulley.

With regards to the both the A6 compressor and crank pulley looks aligned and fitted correctly.

I have check some images of other C2 - SB w/AC engine and they look the same with regards to the belt to water pump pulley alignment being slightly forward.

The belt for AC is wider (.47 vs .42 in) than the alternator's belt.

Attached images

Let me know if your A6 alignment and water pulley looks the same or if you think I have the wrong water pump pulley.

Also if there is a visual difference for the water pump pulley for the alternator and AC belt since the belts are different width.

Thanks

Irwin

Name:  20150315_111833.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  380.3 KB

Name:  20150315_111957.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  531.0 KB

Name:  20150315_112050.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  495.5 KB

Name:  20150315_112051.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  513.9 KB
Old 03-16-2015, 03:59 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,060 Posts

If your P/S pump belt and alternator belts are in correct alignment that indicates crankshaft pulley is in correct position and water pump pulley is in correct position and your A/C compressor needs to move back. If your alternator belt is not in correct alignment and the water pump pulley is too close to the block you need to obtain the shims and place them between the water pump flange and the pulley to move the pulley forward. Lookong at your photos I can't clearly see the alternator belt alignment but it kind of appears to be misaligned. . The A/C belt is definitely out of alignment.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:08 PM
irwiny
Racer

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
If your P/S pump belt and alternator belts are in correct alignment that indicates crankshaft pulley is in correct position and water pump pulley is in correct position and your A/C compressor needs to move back. If your alternator belt is not in correct alignment and the water pump pulley is too close to the block you need to obtain the shims and place them between the water pump flange and the pulley to move the pulley forward. Lookong at your photos I can't clearly see the alternator belt alignment but it kind of appears to be misaligned. . The A/C belt is definitely out of alignment.

Badbirdcage:

Thanks for the feedback.

Power steering belt looks good. I looked at the AC bracket and I don't think it's possible to move the A6 closer to the engine. Alternator belt looks okay also.

Do you think if adding a shim to water pump pulley and alternator may help?

Do you think my fan is too close to the engine and needs to be more in? I noticed that about 1/2 of the fan blades width is sticking out of the shroud.

Thanks.. Irwin
Old 03-17-2015, 08:56 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

If both the P/S belt (rides on crankshaft and P/S pump pulleys only) and the alternator belt (rides on crankshaft, water pump and alternator pulleys) are both in alignment then the only pulley out of alignment is your A/C compressor. That being said shimming the water pump pulley forward (the only direction you can shim it) would put the alternator belt out of alignment. Viewing the photo it appears the compressor needs to move toward the rear of the engine to achieve belt alignment. You might have to get "creative" with the A/C compressor mounting brackets in order to do it.

Sorry, I don't know about the position of the fan blades vs the shroud.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:58 AM
lonzoo
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

This may be completely off base but I had the same issue when I put power steering on my 63. Went the whole pulley exchange route to no availe. After complete removal and starting over I found a sizeable block casting mark that caught just enough of the bracket to throw the pulley out of alignment. Ground the affected mounting area to clear the cast mark and it came out perfect.Good luck
Old 03-17-2015, 07:05 PM
irwiny
Racer

Originally Posted by lonzoo
This may be completely off base but I had the same issue when I put power steering on my 63. Went the whole pulley exchange route to no availe. After complete removal and starting over I found a sizeable block casting mark that caught just enough of the bracket to throw the pulley out of alignment. Ground the affected mounting area to clear the cast mark and it came out perfect.Good luck

Any help is better than nothing......

The pulley on the crank for the PS had the additional pulley added to support the third belt. I would think they would have changed it from two to three grove pulley.

I wish I could just move the AC toward the rear to align the AC belt, but that doesn't look possible.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:26 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by irwiny
Badbirdcage:

Thanks for the feedback.

Power steering belt looks good. I looked at the AC bracket and I don't think it's possible to move the A6 closer to the engine. Alternator belt looks okay also.

Do you think if adding a shim to water pump pulley and alternator may help?

Do you think my fan is too close to the engine and needs to be more in? I noticed that about 1/2 of the fan blades width is sticking out of the shroud.

Thanks.. Irwin
Fan position in the shroud looks good. Mine's that way, and I have read, in this forum somewhere, that halfway into the shroud is correct.

My A/C belt alignment looks correct, belts all seem parallel. I'll look and see if the belts are the same width and if there's anything worth taking a picture of for you.

You're better off than me in respect to the A/C, though: I had to bend my pulley shield downward, it still touches the hood a bit!''

Steve
Old 03-18-2015, 08:31 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Your a/c belt is wider than mine, it doesn't seem to drop into the groove correctly.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:12 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,313 Posts

I don't know if these pictures help, but here they are:

Name:  0303151624a.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  740.8 KB

Name:  0318152046.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  678.4 KB

Name:  0318152046a.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  598.4 KB

Name:  0318152046b.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  715.8 KB

Name:  0318152047.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  563.9 KB
Old 03-18-2015, 10:59 PM
irwiny
Racer

[QUOTE=65GGvert;1589215035]I don't know if these pictures help, but here they are:

Thank very much for taking the time to take and upload the images.

Need to compare your AC pulley to mine. Looks like your WP pulley's location is the same as mine.

It's funny how the lighting makes even when the belts are straight looks little tilted.

When time permits, I will get a thinner AC cable first. I just added the two bottles of Freon/sealer and it's nice and cool.

After looking at your clean engine, makes me want to get out cans the orange and black paint for some major touch up.

Again, thanks for the images.

Irwin
Old 03-19-2015, 09:19 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Irwin. The belt you have is riding just fine in the pulleys. Remember that the belt is driven from the V portion of the belt. The "back" of the belt sitting a little above the outer edge of the pulleys is not a bad thing. And it has nothing to do with your belt alignment problem.

65GGvert has a very nice looking engine compartment.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check in the assembly manual, I had a similar problem on my 66 with AC until I got the mounting of the AC unit right…..once I figured it out everything lined up perfect.

Mine doesn't blow real cold air but being a roadster who could tell….

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To AC - water pump - crank belt alignment

Quick Reply: AC - water pump - crank belt alignment