C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:29 PM
Gone fishing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioning

I would like to know which air conditioning kit is the best functioning and easiest to install between the vintage air and classic air. The price I had quoted for installation was 600.00. Any suggestions or recommendations
Thanks
Greg
Old 06-24-2015, 02:01 PM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I like VA air - keep your old parts I think The labor is a little high ... but not much - I paid $500. on the 67 L79
Old 06-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There are three kits that are head and shoulders above the rest:

1. Vintage Air
2. Vintage Air
3. Vintage Air

That about covers it.

This picture is a 95* Orlando day with about 90% humidity...
I turned the A/C down twice after this picture because I was too cold...
Put the kit in myself but had the unit professionally charged with freon...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-02-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Gone fishing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

1. Vintage Air
2. Vintage Air
3. Vintage Air

That about covers it.

Thanks, I'm near Savannah and it's over 100. Are the blowers strong enough in car, my old GTO was cold at vent but air was weak
Old 06-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yes they are actually. There is an advantage in our 2 seater cars as they A/C only has to blast the front seat passengers. In fact, if I leave my hand dangling over my center arm rest for long I have to move it or the cold A/C blowing from the console side vents makes it cramp. I usually wind up turning the fan speed down to 1/2 to 3/4 of full once the cockpit temperature gets comfortable (usually about 15 - 20 minutes)..

I should also say that I run this setup with a heavy duty Hayden truck fan clutch and a larger stock-looking water pump fan.....no restomod-looking electric "pusher" fans. Car stays at 170* with a side trip to 180* at long stop lights...

The Vintage Air unit is nice because it has "stepper motor" controls....no funky cables or vacuum lines..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-24-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:26 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Vintage air is impressive. Blows a lot of cold air.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Gone fishing
Intermediate

1. Vintage Air
2. Vintage Air
3. Vintage Air

That about covers it.

Thanks,
I have replaced the Harrison radiator with the 1965 sure fit Dewitt's high performance aluminum radiator and an under dash temperature gauge because I didn't trust mine. It stays around 190 and around 200 in stop and go traffic. Will I have to move gauge and will radiator be enough or do I need to Change clutch or anything else. How about being able to change battery. Any significant under hood changes mechanic should know about?
Thanks again
Greg
Old 06-24-2015, 07:19 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Not much really to change....I'd say run the system a while and see if your cooling system tolerates it - that's what I did. As far as underhood you'll need to move the alternator from the PS to DS of car. Lectric Limited makes a special harness that makes this a breeze while keeping the horn relay and voltage regulator in their original locations.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:34 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default See my post from today.

Check out the thread I just posted:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...very-cool.html
Old 06-24-2015, 08:12 PM
Gone fishing
Intermediate

Not much really to change....I'd say run the system a while and see if your cooling system tolerates it - that's what I did. As far as underhood you'll need to move the alternator from the PS to DS of car. Lectric Limited makes a special harness that makes this a breeze while keeping the horn relay and voltage regulator in their original locations.
Thanks for the information . Would you happen to remember part number
Old 06-24-2015, 10:03 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Gone fishing
I would like to know which air conditioning kit is the best functioning and easiest to install between the vintage air and classic air. The price I had quoted for installation was 600.00. Any suggestions or recommendations
Thanks
Greg
Vintage Air....San Antonio, Texas.....If there is one thing we know about here in South Texas it's about how to beat the heat....Vintage Air has it down to a science....All of my cars are equipped with Vintage Air.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:12 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Funny how every Summer...the Vintage Air posts start popping up.
The install is tedious...but not really that hard. Like a lot of mods...you have to take your time.
If you have average mechanical skills I would save the 600 bucks and do the work yourself. You'll learn a lot about glove boxes and vents and cables and hoses and heater cores and get a really good look at your car upside down!
Seriously... not that bad...and the minute you flip that temp and blower switch to full blast...you'll be glad you did it.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:12 PM
jason_marshall1
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed a VA system into a 65 in 2005 and put the compressor on the drivers side. I had to modify the compressor mount to eliminate the belt from rubbing the top radiator hose. Mine is a 350 hp engine and the thermostat housing is different than the 300 hp version, not sure if that changes the angel of the top hose. I installed the unit myself and I didn't find it to be very difficult. I left the stock battery configuration and wiring harness in place. I installed the eye ball sockets near the door jams and found the quality of those to be pretty poor, maybe they are better today. I had to trim the plastic on the new glove box as it didn't fit well, other that that, I'm happy with the system after 10 years.

I am looking for replacement bezels for the dash ***** because the purpose of the new ***** is different than stock and I can never seem to remember which **** does what until I play with them. If anyone has a source, that would be great to share. Best of luck!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:14 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by gone fishing
thanks for the information . Would you happen to remember part number
Part No. VAK-6365
Old 06-24-2015, 11:18 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by jason_marshall1
I installed a VA system into a 65 in 2005 and put the compressor on the drivers side. I had to modify the compressor mount to eliminate the belt from rubbing the top radiator hose. Mine is a 350 hp engine and the thermostat housing is different than the 300 hp version, not sure if that changes the angel of the top hose. I installed the unit myself and I didn't find it to be very difficult. I left the stock battery configuration and wiring harness in place. I installed the eye ball sockets near the door jams and found the quality of those to be pretty poor, maybe they are better today. I had to trim the plastic on the new glove box as it didn't fit well, other that that, I'm happy with the system after 10 years.

I am looking for replacement bezels for the dash ***** because the purpose of the new ***** is different than stock and I can never seem to remember which **** does what until I play with them. If anyone has a source, that would be great to share. Best of luck!
If its the GEN IV Vintage Air system its pretty simple (in my '63 anyway). Added **** on the left side of center console is TEMP (that **** is shown in post #3 above); the left hand **** on the waterfall is ON/FAN and the right hand **** on the waterfall is COOL/DEF/HEAT vent configuration..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-25-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:44 AM
flyingb
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I used Clasic auto air this time. I have installed Vintage air many times. What I wanted was a clean look under the hood and interior. You can see from the pictures it came out very clean. I did not like alot of hoses showing.My is on my 62.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:31 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

I have VA in all three of my classic cars and they work awesome. Just put a Gen 4 system in my 56 Chevy wagon and was concerned about cooling such a large area. No problem as I usually have to turn down the fan because it's so cold. Great systems.

Get notified of new replies

To Air conditioning

Old 06-25-2015, 11:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by flyingb
I used Clasic auto air this time. I have installed Vintage air many times. What I wanted was a clean look under the hood and interior. You can see from the pictures it came out very clean. I did not like alot of hoses showing.My is on my 62.
Wow -- without question the nicest underhood A/C install I've seen on a C1. The 'ugliness' is one reason I haven't put it in my '61. I will say I prefer the Vintage Air A/C dash blower look better though. Strictly personal opinion and not a slam on your setup.

Wonder if there is a way to make a hybrid...
Old 06-25-2015, 11:56 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Black Compressor

Originally Posted by flyingb

The black compressor really looks good. Did you just paint it did you buy it that way?
Old 06-25-2015, 02:21 PM
flyingb
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteJohn
The black compressor really looks good. Did you just paint it did you buy it that way?
I painted it black. I have don that alot on Classic car where they don't want to see the aluminum compressor. I use Duplicolor low gloss engine black. Also used on the A/C lines through out. The Generator is a PowerMaster Alternator 95 Amp same paint. I rivited on the delco tag for effect. Also using a 2500 cfm Spal fan. The A/C vents you don see looking into the car, unless you get down and look under the dash. Blows very good and cold. The large suction line is the black tube under the cowl part behind distributer, thats one on the reasons I chose Classic air for the tube. "Hide It" My out of pocket cost $1572.00

Quick Reply: Air conditioning