C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I could never be satidfied with a survivor car

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 11:21 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default I could never be satidfied with a survivor car

They are neat, you don't have to worry to much about getting a paint chip or upholstery stain or other concerns you would have with a restored car, but every one I've seen is rough looking. I like a car to look and run as nice as the day it left the factory. There is a new entry on ebay, item 272015592455, 63 SWC. The guy says it's an original no hit SWC. If you look at the pictures, the car looks to nice to be true, until you get to one of the pictures at the bottom showing a close up of the front emblem and the paint looks like alagrator skin. Nice car but 135,000 for a car that would need everything if you ever decided to restore. Of course who ever buys it is paying for the survivor class so I guess no one would change anything about it. There is a forum member (don't remember his name) that I believe has a white 63 convertible that from the pictures it looks nice but not sure about up close.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:29 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I think the survivor cars are neat when they hold up well. There's another thread running about Patina- what it is and isn't. I can say that I had mostly original paint on my 64, and it was nice not to worry about but I always felt the car deserved paint.

In general there are a handful of cars from every year that show well enough to preserve. There are also a great number of cars that tout their unrestored glory that just look like they need freshened.

I do like seeing cars that are somewhere in between ratty and restored. Real drivers that get cared for but USED like a CAR!
Old 10-25-2015, 11:33 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,273 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Hey that $135K is a bargain compared to the other 63 white coupe, only 17K miles, and all original except for the newer paint, and the interior, and the 7 blade fan for improved cooling, and the replaced pitted tail light lens. And can be yours for only $260,000.
At least it has the newer paint that you are looking for.....
Old 10-26-2015, 08:01 AM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

Yeah, we have some guys here on the forum that don't know the difference between patina and clapped out.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:00 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 91DRM
Yeah, we have some guys here on the forum that don't know the difference between patina and clapped out.
I couldn't agree more- a couple guys are wild about having an ugly Corvette!
Old 10-26-2015, 09:07 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I really like survivors. They are only original once. They really vary as far as condition. When they deteriorate to the point where the word "Survivor" should be changed to "badly in need of restoration" , it may be time to consider doing one.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Some people have nice unrestored cars that I think of broadly as Survivors, regardless of certificates. Others have a car that has "survived" and, you know...exist. Well, haven't all of our cars survived? There's little distinction there...
Old 10-26-2015, 10:07 AM
59 navy
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Survivor

Believe me, I'd have a fully restored 59 but can only afford $100.00 a month on my retirement plan. (Retired school teacher) Working on it for 18 years now...meanwhile I drive it as it is. A great hobby. 59 navy
Old 10-26-2015, 10:25 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I've gone both ways with other makes, and prefer survivor type cars that have been mechanically maintained . In other words, cars that have been driven and used regularly, not cars that have been put in mothballs and now need everything to actually be of use in the real world. Restored cars are stripped of their past history, which to me is a big part of a car's appeal. That said, a survivor car needs to be priced accordingly, not outrageously. My current '61 is mostly original, with an old NOM and somewhat tired, but presentable paint. Mechanically it is up to snuff, with new parts as needed, and I am driving it all the time these days. No plans on painting it, but it still looks ok, not like a roach.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:28 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

They are only original once.
Yes, the day they left the showroom floor.

Clapped out, isn't "original", it is just pain old worn out, in need of major overhaul.

I kind of lump "survivors", in with Rat Rods. I'll take a top flight NCRS car any day over a survivor.

And most "survivors", aren't really survivors, they have had repaint or re-upholstery, or other stuff done to them in the far distant past, so long ago the car looks like crap, again.

Doug
Old 10-26-2015, 11:23 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
They are neat, you don't have to worry to much about getting a paint chip or upholstery stain or other concerns you would have with a restored car, but every one I've seen is rough looking. I like a car to look and run as nice as the day it left the factory. There is a new entry on ebay, item 272015592455, 63 SWC. The guy says it's an original no hit SWC. If you look at the pictures, the car looks to nice to be true, until you get to one of the pictures at the bottom showing a close up of the front emblem and the paint looks like alagrator skin. Nice car but 135,000 for a car that would need everything if you ever decided to restore. Of course who ever buys it is paying for the survivor class so I guess no one would change anything about it. There is a forum member (don't remember his name) that I believe has a white 63 convertible that from the pictures it looks nice but not sure about up close.
Is my unrestored "survivor" 67 rough looking?

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Yes, the day they left the showroom floor.

Clapped out, isn't "original", it is just pain old worn out, in need of major overhaul.

I kind of lump "survivors", in with Rat Rods. I'll take a top flight NCRS car any day over a survivor.

And most "survivors", aren't really survivors, they have had repaint or re-upholstery, or other stuff done to them in the far distant past, so long ago the car looks like crap, again.

Doug
How about a "survivor" that is a NCRS top flight car?

Old 10-26-2015, 11:31 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

I guess we don't really dislike all survivors...
Old 10-26-2015, 11:52 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

I said the ones I've seen are rough. Had not seen yours. Assuming the paint is as nice as the pictures show, you're car is the exception. What's the history on it. How was car able to stay as nice as it appears.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:00 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

There are always several gorgeous survivor cars at NCRS Regional meets, and especially at the Convention each year. At the Texas Regional just concluded there were at least three I drooled over and probably more. There are many barn find mouse nest derelicts out in the world, but there are also many well-preserved, maintained, never restored cars too.
Give me a well maintained, unmolested, never repainted or re-upholstered survivor (Bowtie in NCRS parlance) anyday over any restored vette. But, that is just me.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:29 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
I said the ones I've seen are rough. Had not seen yours. Assuming the paint is as nice as the pictures show, you're car is the exception. What's the history on it. How was car able to stay as nice as it appears.
I am the third owner. The first owner had the car for about 3 years. He raced it and used it as his daily driver. Lucky for him (and me), the motor was a strong runner and never blew up on him. He ran some impressive times that were track records (I have all the documents). He traded back to the dealer in 1970 to buy a station wagon as he had a kid on the way. He sold it with with about 22K on the clock.

The second owner bought the car because he heard that compression ratios were dropping in 1971 (they were) and he thought that the high compression cars would be rare in the future, so he bought it and drove it about 250 miles per year.

I talked to the dealer (who was also the saleman) for this particular car as he was friends with both the prior owners. I have letters from all three (including the dealer who sent to me a copy of the original invoice). He's keeping the original invoice so no one can fake the car.

The second owner was a pharmacist who decided to cash out and retire when a Walmart moved into the area and was putting his pharmacy out of business. Thet's when I bought the car. It had 28,900 when I bought it back in 1995. It's got about 33K now.

The car has it's original paint, interior, mechanical, and engine components (a few are off the car at the moment like the fan clutch which needs to be reconditioned). The tank sticker is still on the tank (but easily readable). I have the original window sticker, POP, and Copy "7" (which I'm told is incredably rare - maybe 1 in 1000 cars have this). The keys have numbers punched into them and match the numbers on the Copy "7" page. I've been told that it may be the best documented 435 out there.

One guy who was looking to buy the car considered having the Nabor's Brothers restore the car. When they saw the car, they didn't think it was wise to restore it given how original and clean it was.

Last edited by bb62; 10-26-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:16 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Very cool, thanks
Old 10-26-2015, 01:20 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62

Your 67 is nice, very nice.
Here is my 63 one repaint in the 70's and a power antenna from the 60's that was taken out, all original with 51k
from La Jolla Ca. I like em like a well kept used car.

Get notified of new replies

To I could never be satidfied with a survivor car

Old 10-26-2015, 03:40 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Those are out there, but quite rare. Glad you got one.

Yes, that is preferable to a restored car in that condition, but as i said "most", survivors are pretty rough,and often not really original, but i suppose a 45 year old paint job on a 50 year old car, is sometimes considered "survivor".

I take care of my cars, you take care of yours, which keeps them nice, decade after decade, but some of the stuff I have seen with the survivor designation, really would do much better with a resto.

I for one, don't like driving around on ripped or duct tape repaired seats, in a car with a chipped, cloudy windshield that the paint is crazed and falling off, with bumpers that are pitted and rust streaked and grungy, oily engine compartment. It makes you look like a bum that inherited a car he can't afford to fix.

Doug

Originally Posted by bb62

Old 10-26-2015, 03:57 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Here is mine.
Original Paint - Original Drivetrain - Original Interior
(she also has attained top flight)
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2015, 04:15 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
Here is mine.
Original Paint - Original Drivetrain - Original Interior
(she also has attained top flight)
Yes, you were the one I was thinking of. I should of remember because I believe I purchase a manual from you. How can a car survived 50 years and look that good, unreal.

Quick Reply: I could never be satidfied with a survivor car