C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need tech help on power steering conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:08 PM
VetteZr
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Need tech help on power steering conversion

I have converted my 65 over to power steering, but I am having a problem, I personally rebuilt all of the parts, (pump, control valve & cylinder) all new hoses & then when problems arose, I replaced everything with professionally rebuilt parts and of course all of the hoses were new & replaced twice & I have properly installed all hoses each time I replaced them, my problem is that the return hose is building pressure & blowing itself apart, does anyone know what is causing this problem, at this point I am at a loss as to what it could be, thanks in advance for any help offered.
Don
VetteZr@sccoast.net

Last edited by VetteZr; 12-22-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:22 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteZr
I have converted my 65 over to power steering, but I am having a problem, I personally rebuilt all of the parts, (pump, control valve & cylinder) all new hoses & then when problems arose, I replaced everything with professionally rebuilt parts and of course all of the hoses were new & replaced twice & I have properly installed all hoses each time I replaced them, my problem is that the return hose is building pressure & blowing itself apart, does anyone know what is causing this problem, at this point I am at a loss as to what it could be, thanks in advance for any help offered.
Don
VetteZr@sccoast.net
Are your hoses crossed in an "X" pattern at the power cylinder like those in the photo below? If not, they should be - sounds like you may have the high-pressure and low-pressure return lines reversed.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
VetteZr (12-23-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 12:51 PM
VetteZr
Pro

Yes, that was the very first thing I did when I installed the hoses. but thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Are your hoses crossed in an "X" pattern at the power cylinder like those in the photo below? If not, they should be - sounds like you may have the high-pressure and low-pressure return lines reversed.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:27 PM
XLR8OR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have a blocked/stuck valve. I have not had good luck with rebuilt control valves, that's where I would check first. Try bypassing the control valve and see if the problem disappears - if it does, you located the problem.
The following users liked this post:
VetteZr (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 02:57 PM
VetteZr
Pro

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but how do you bypass the control valve?

Originally Posted by XLR8OR
You may have a blocked/stuck valve. I have not had good luck with rebuilt control valves, that's where I would check first. Try bypassing the control valve and see if the problem disappears - if it does, you located the problem.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:31 AM
VetteZr
Pro

Problem still not solved, any other suggestions.................Please

Get notified of new replies

To Need tech help on power steering conversion

Quick Reply: Need tech help on power steering conversion