C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 - Front Eyebrow Needs To Be Refinished

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 02:10 PM
Bomba_MC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 58 - Front Eyebrow Needs To Be Refinished

I need to repaint the the black eyebrows in the front of my 58. I want to ensure I make this look as original as possible. I am not worried about keeping it NCRS as it is just my daily driver but still want it to look good.

What was the original black finish on these eyebrows? What kind of paint would be best and and suggestions on how to get the best finish would be greatly appreciated. I thank you kindly for any information that can be offered.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't know what was original....I used Krylon 1613 INDUSTRIAL Semi-Flat to paint my eyebrow depressions. Mainly because it was easy to touch up on a regular basis and looked fine. That area WILL get rock chips, bugs, etc.. so, simple is better. On a non-judged car nobody will have a clue about the paint down there as long as its black and not glossy.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:52 PM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don't know what was original....I used Krylon 1613 INDUSTRIAL Semi-Flat to paint my eyebrow depressions. Mainly because it was easy to touch up on a regular basis and looked fine. That area WILL get rock chips, bugs, etc.. so, simple is better. On a non-judged car nobody will have a clue about the paint down there as long as its black and not glossy.
x2

Terry
Old 02-10-2019, 04:48 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

When I used the term "silver leaf", I really meant "silver leaf". I've seen the silver colored paint pens, and they are OK...especially for use on plastic-chrome edging that has worn thru.

But, silver leaf comes in very thin sheets of silver. You buy it at craft stores (along with gold leaf and copper leaf, etc). Silver is not that expensive, as the sheets are very thin. All you want is a surface that can polish up and can be preserved with clear coat. You smooth and clean the surface to be covered; then you apply an adhesive to the surface. The "trick" is to lay a silver leaf sheet on the surface without destroying it (sometimes a real-hair brush with electrostatic charge is used to capture the sheet and then apply it to the surface). Once the entire surface is covered with silver leaf, the adhesive is allowed to completely dry. You polish the silver (gently) and immediately shoot with polyurethane clear paint.

It ain't perfect...but it's a lot better than silver paint pens, spray can chrome, powdercoat chrome, or any kind of peel-and-stick chrome foil.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:02 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Errrr...

I think you may have posted in the wrong forum...
Old 02-10-2019, 06:48 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
When I used the term "silver leaf", I really meant "silver leaf". I've seen the silver colored paint pens, and they are OK...especially for use on plastic-chrome edging that has worn thru.

But, silver leaf comes in very thin sheets of silver. You buy it at craft stores (along with gold leaf and copper leaf, etc). Silver is not that expensive, as the sheets are very thin. All you want is a surface that can polish up and can be preserved with clear coat. You smooth and clean the surface to be covered; then you apply an adhesive to the surface. The "trick" is to lay a silver leaf sheet on the surface without destroying it (sometimes a real-hair brush with electrostatic charge is used to capture the sheet and then apply it to the surface). Once the entire surface is covered with silver leaf, the adhesive is allowed to completely dry. You polish the silver (gently) and immediately shoot with polyurethane clear paint.

It ain't perfect...but it's a lot better than silver paint pens, spray can chrome, powdercoat chrome, or any kind of peel-and-stick chrome foil.
Might have posted on a 3 year old thread in error. You might have your "Related Posts" function on.

Get notified of new replies

To 58 - Front Eyebrow Needs To Be Refinished

Quick Reply: 58 - Front Eyebrow Needs To Be Refinished