C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help me decide (painting car)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 03:09 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Help me decide (painting car)

I want to have my '66 coupe repainted.

According to the trim tag my car was originally Laguna blue (978AA). Long before I bought it, someone did a complete color change in black lacquer which I later had a clear coat done to freshen it up a bit.

The re-spray/color change was done poorly and now that I've finally gotten the car sorted out (mechanicals, new interior, up-grades etc.) I'm planning on getting it repainted. While they did cover all areas (that you can see at ground level) it's obvious that the car was not disassembled. There's sags in the door jams, doors not painted on the underside, headlight buckets not painted well, I could go on and on.

So, here's my dilemma:

Do I spring with the BIG bucks for a complete color change back to the original color which I love and, also realize is quite rare, OR should I just clean up the jams and just have it re-sprayed (properly) in black again.

I like to drive my car as much as possible and am not looking to have a trailer queen so if I get a few chips, so be it.

The reason I'm asking you guys is that I'm getting differing advise from friends as to which way to proceed.

So, what is the general consensus concerning my issue. What would you do? I'm really on the fence with this one. Thanks

Gary
Old 01-08-2016, 05:10 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Laguna Blue is probably my all time favorite Mid-Year Color. It sounds like "the rest" of the car is done, and is just waiting her born with color.

If you don't go back to Laguna... I think you will regret the choice sooner and later (cause you already stated that you like Laguna).

If you suck it up and do it the right way, your wallet will hurt, but you can get over that... every time you drive the car or show it... It'll be like childbirth.... You will forget the pain, and just remember the joy.

If your problems can be solved with money, they say you don't really have any problems.

GO (Laguna) Blue!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:50 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

You didn't clearly say what your color preferences although you said you love Laguna Blue. But I assume you like the Black also since you bought the car originally in that color. Your color preference should be a big part of your decision. The cost to do a proper repaint is going to be pretty much the same in either color since the color change was not expertly done. To me - I think black is killer on just about any car. I'm not a big fan of a lot of blues but Laguna Blue is different and definitely a cool color.

If you truly have no preference for either color over the other - then considering the cost is the same, I would put it back to original Laguna Blue.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 01-08-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:33 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Laguna Blue is a beautiful color, you like it and it's original to your car. Easy decision IMO. It will enhance the value of your car as well.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:06 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Agree to going back to Laguna Blue...also, my fav as well.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2016, 08:17 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Although black is currently popular(and can look great), a black repaint gets you what you have now, a car in the incorrect color, at big bucks if done right, which does affect the car's value.

If you go blue (I agree, Laguna Blue looks great), you recoup part of the expense of the costly paint job just by returning it to the original color by increasing the value of the car, making blue your best value choice.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Laguna Blue..... not a doubt about it.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:14 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Gary - Have you had any discussions with your local body shops on the subject? You mentioned that the color change was done long before you bought the Coupe. If the old coating has issues at all, most body shops aren't going to want to 'scuff and coat' it they're going to want to remove it. Then there's the problem of paint matching. If you were only doing the door jambs you might get away with it but any panel painting they do might not match up with the old existing coating. I expect most of them will want to take off the old coating and if that's what you run into, then that makes it easier to do a color change back to the original color is that's what you're leaning towards.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Last edited by Vet65te; 01-08-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:01 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I'm surprised no one has said this before- if you have black lacquer now covered in polyurethane clear you are going to have problems down the road with whatever you do if you do not strip the car entirely. This will be expensive if you have to pay and time consuming to do yourself. Stripping is the worst part. The lacquer underneath will continue to degrade faster than the coats above it. Lacquer never "stops" curing which is why you see crazing on old lacquer. Like my 64 which was still in lacquer when I was hit by a semi in June. I have stripped it, fixed it, and am close to paint- doing it myself.

Like you I drive my car regularly and I am also not concerned with road Knicks down the road BUT I still realized painting over lacquer is a losing proposition.

IF you only need it to last a few years, you could sand the clear on it now, epoxy prime it (spi products get my vote their epoxy is tough and sand able), do the bodywork, epoxy prime it again and paint over what you have. How long it will last will depend on the state of things underneath the the conditions you put the car through- I would think in part about cycles of heat and cold
Old 01-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Gary - Have you had any discussions with your local body shops on the subject? You mentioned that the color change was done long before you bought the Coupe. If the old coating has issues at all, most body shops aren't going to want to 'scuff and coat' it they're going to want to remove it. Then there's the problem of paint matching. If you were only doing the door jambs you might get away with it but any panel painting they do might not match up with the old existing coating. I expect most of them will want to take off the old coating and if that's what you run into, then that makes it easier to do a color change back to the original color is that's what you're leaning towards.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

, Absolutely, Gary, you said the re-spray was done poorly AND how do you know what's underneath that paint?

If you just want a "scuff and coat", might as well take it to Macco.

As Mike said, a good bodyshop isn't going to want to stand behind a quickie paint job.

Any stress cracks showing in the re-spray now ?

Also, another vote for Laguna.

Last edited by Bill32; 01-08-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I'm surprised no one has said this before- if you have black lacquer now covered in polyurethane clear you are going to have problems down the road with whatever you do if you do not strip the car entirely.
Yep.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:40 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Laguna Blue. Much as I like black, Laguna Blue has it beat on a midyear. And it's the correct color. No decision to make!
Old 01-08-2016, 11:02 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
IDo I spring with the BIG bucks for a complete color change back to the original color which I love and, also realize is quite rare, OR should I just clean up the jams and just have it re-sprayed (properly) in black again.

I like to drive my car as much as possible and am not looking to have a trailer queen so if I get a few chips, so be it.

No brainer. Original color.

If you are thinking just because you like to drive the car that its not worth the effort of going all out on the paint, you are off the mark. Your painter still has to take the time and effort to do the job right. Part of that is to fully strip the car.

I had a full blown black paint done on my '69 and I drive it regularly. Just take care of the car and keep it up.

And if you need a tie-breaking factor? Remember how much more the market value will be with a nice, correct , blue color on there.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:29 AM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I'm surprised no one has said this before- if you have black lacquer now covered in polyurethane clear you are going to have problems down the road with whatever you do if you do not strip the car entirely. This will be expensive if you have to pay and time consuming to do yourself. Stripping is the worst part. The lacquer underneath will continue to degrade faster than the coats above it. Lacquer never "stops" curing which is why you see crazing on old lacquer. Like my 64 which was still in lacquer when I was hit by a semi in June. I have stripped it, fixed it, and am close to paint- doing it myself.

Like you I drive my car regularly and I am also not concerned with road Knicks down the road BUT I still realized painting over lacquer is a losing proposition.

IF you only need it to last a few years, you could sand the clear on it now, epoxy prime it (spi products get my vote their epoxy is tough and sand able), do the bodywork, epoxy prime it again and paint over what you have. How long it will last will depend on the state of things underneath the the conditions you put the car through- I would think in part about cycles of heat and cold
i agree stipping is not fun but needed in this situation..i just had my complete body stripped with a local guy that has a portable blasting unit. he came right the shop and walnut shell blasted the whole car in 4 hours at a $150 hr. well worth it it does not harm the the fiber glass at all.. im sure if you look around your area you will find someone to do the same..have fun with it!!! troy
Old 01-08-2016, 11:34 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I recently sold my 66 BB laguna blue coupe. Many times, depending on the clouds it did look black to many people. When the sun hits it....its stunning! I love my 64 Daytona blue coupe, but that laguna blue is special.....
Old 01-08-2016, 11:38 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

1. What's the difference in price between the two options? Reading between the lines in your original post, it seems to me that your personal preference is to go back to the blue. The problem is that the blue option is more expensive. Only you can decide if the difference is worth it, and whether you can and want to afford it.

1a. Also consider the difference in the value of your car with the blue vs. the black. You will recoup some of the additional cost when you sell the car.

2. Every time I agonize over decisions like this, I later regret not spending more money to do what I wanted to do in the first place. Every single time. Without fail.

3. You may be better off doing nothing, that is driving the car as is, until you can afford the blue.

4. I'm sympathetic to your problem because I too am a car nut. But remember, that for most people who aren't car nuts, they don't care about the paint until they go to a car show. Solution: don't go to car shows. Most people also think that if you can afford to have a $50,000 toy, you can afford the $15,000 paint job. I realize this is no comfort to you. Just trying to put everything in perspective.

5. If you shoot a third coat over the existing black, won't you have too much and too thick paint? Don't you have to strip the old paint off anyway? If you're stripping off the old paint, then go back to the blue.

Good luck in whatever you do.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:31 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You can't go wrong with original color.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me decide (painting car)

Old 01-08-2016, 12:36 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,273 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

GO BLUE Did I really say that, I meant GO BUCKS

Last edited by dahogan; 01-08-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Thanks guys. I was sort of expecting many of the responses I received.

I forgot to mention (it was late when I posted ) that the car has the original drive train with the L-79 motor as well. Not a lot of provenance or options but numbers and date codes, etc. do look good and match up so I'm sure putting it back to L.B. will definitely add to value.

To answer some of the questions/suggestions posed:

Yes, I do like the black but it's a PITA, though the original color may not be much easier (I do like it as much, if not more) to care for as I realize that it's a bit dark also.

The difference in cost will be quite substantial since I can possibly save the jams and will only need the exterior painted. I've done a bit of work on them with some success already as a trial.

Yes, I can afford it. Just have other projects I'd like to finish as well. I guess the swimming pool COULD wait another year or two.

As to the paint thickness, it's not. I've done a few small paint repairs and find nothing under the present color (which is quite thin on the body, just not the jams) except primer. I think it was at least prepared correctly, but who knows.

As to the type of paint used, I'm only guessing when I say lacquer since I would get color when (before clear was done) I used a polishing compound. Never had any crazing at all but, did have a few stress cracks. Mainly around the passenger side door handle.

One of my biggest concerns is the removal of the windshield trim. As I'm sure most of you are aware, that if the clips break, out comes the windshield. I've also heard the repop clips are crap and that windshield replacement must be done by someone well acquainted with them.

You've all stated what most (but not all) of my friends have also advised. That is, do the color change or you'll always regret it.

Thanks for your responses. I would appreciate any and all info or suggestions provided prior to delving into this project.

Looks like Laguna Blue is the way I should go!

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 01-08-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

With all of the paint on the car, I would recommend stripping the car to glass and do it right. I am in the process of doing so with my '64. At that point with the body perfect, you can do any color you want over a perfect prep. I would tend toward the original color. My $.02.
The following users liked this post:
Stan's Customs (01-08-2016)

Quick Reply: Help me decide (painting car)