C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

LED Bulbs for dash cluster & clock

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by treh1
Let me know how you do with the SuperBright LEDs. I tried swapping out the No. 57 bulbs in my '58 with the SuperBright BA9S-WWHP5 and I found the fit with the bulb in the lamp socket to be really loose and they only made intermittent contact. Unfortunately I couldn't do the swap out and my original 57 bulbs will have to do until I find a suitable replacement.
I have not tried them yet (garage too cold - my area of FL got down to 30 last night).....

If a bulb does have an intermittant contact, sometimes adding a small glob of solder to the center bulb contact will make it fit a lot tighter.

Plasticman
Old 01-20-2016, 11:23 AM
62-C1
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default LED bulbs

Originally Posted by Plasticman
I have done it previously without removing the cluster, but my medium size hands, fingers, and wrist are pretty flexible. It certainly is not "fun".

Make sure the bulb sockets are fully seated back into the cluster.

I get to change the bulbs tomorrow (to the Superbrightleds.com LEDs), since they arrived today.

Plasticman
Let me know ASAP how the bulbs work, I am holding off on ordreing until I hear from you. Thanks for your information, I think i'll have to remove the cluster, there old hands are to large and not flexible enough.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:01 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Just got them installed, and I am extremely pleased with them. I installed the Superbrightleds.com # BA9s-WWHP5 (warm white) for the instruments (5 total on a later C1). And they dim like they are suppose to!

Note that I did have to add a small glob of solder onto each of the LEDs center terminal, in order to have them firmly mated in the sockets. I view that as "normal" for old sockets that have lost their spring force (my wiring harness was replaced around 1998).

The 2 speedo lamps are difficult to do, without taking the cluster out, but I managed to do them (have the scrapes on my hands to prove it). Used a long screwdriver to help seat them back in the cluster.

Note that I tried one of the green LEDs in the turn signal indicators, and because I have LEDs in my turn/brake/park bulbs, I have an electronic flasher. The Green LED slowed the flash rate considerably, so I did not use them. Evidently my electronic flasher "needs" the added current from the small indicator lamp.

The Green LEDs are brighter, but I have a loud "clacker circuit" that alerts me to having left a turn signal on, so I really did not need brighter turn signal indicators.

For an example of how effective they are, look at Post #10 in the below thread. Mine look exactly as his does (both the "before" and "after"). Yes, mine were "dim", and now I can SEE! Only difference was changing to the LEDs.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-lighting.html

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 01-20-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:05 PM
62-C1
Racer

Default LED Bulbs

Just got them installed, and I am extremely pleased with them. I installed the Superbrightleds.com # BA9s-WWHP5 (warm white) for the instruments (5 total on a later C1). And they dim like they are suppose to!

Note that I did have to add a small glob of solder onto each of the LEDs center terminal, in order to have them firmly mated in the sockets. I view that as "normal" for old sockets that have lost their spring force (my wiring harness was replaced around 1998).

The 2 speedo lamps are difficult to do, without taking the cluster out, but I managed to do them (have the scrapes on my hands to prove it). Used a long screwdriver to help seat them back in the cluster.

Note that I tried one of the green LEDs in the turn signal indicators, and because I have LEDs in my turn/brake/park bulbs, I have an electronic flasher. The Green LED slowed the flash rate considerably, so I did not use them. Evidently my electronic flasher "needs" the added current from the small indicator lamp.

The Green LEDs are brighter, but I have a loud "clacker circuit" that alerts me to having left a turn signal on, so I really did not need brighter turn signal indicators.

For an example of how effective they are, look at Post #10 in the below thread. Mine look exactly as his does (both the "before" and "after"). Yes, mine were "dim", and now I can SEE! Only difference was changing to the LEDs.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-lighting.html

Plasticman
Thanks, I'am ordering the LED's tonight, I guess I will remove the cluster, Hands to big.
PS. I feel sorry for you at 30 degrees, we are at4 degrees and wind chill -6.
Stay Warm
Old 01-20-2016, 06:21 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by 62 corvette nut
Thanks, I'am ordering the LED's tonight, I guess I will remove the cluster, Hands to big.
Stay Warm
Garage was 67F by the time I went out there..........pity me, I had to wear a long sleeve shirt.

I paid my dues living in Chicago.......

Good luck,
Plasticman
Old 02-03-2016, 08:20 PM
62-C1
Racer

Default Dash & clock

Garage was 67F by the time I went out there..........pity me, I had to wear a long sleeve shirt.

I paid my dues living in Chicago.......

Good luck,
Plasticman
Thanks Plasticman, you were right I installed the new LED lights and they are tremendous. I have a question, the Courtesy light was not whatsuperbright had listed for a 62 Corvette. It takes a 194-LED–6 SMD bulb. I have two lights that come on when the door is opened. The courtesy light and a (# 90) that I have no idea where it is supposed clip. Right now it's hanging loose under the dash. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marty
Old 02-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Marty,

I did not order / change the single courtesy light, since mine is bright enough.

Hopefully some one else can give you a better answer.

Plasticman
Old 02-23-2016, 02:10 PM
62-C1
Racer

I changed the courtesy light to LED works great much improved. BUT the second time I opened the door the light stays on. I thought it was the switch, I replaced it but still stays on. Any thoughts?
Old 02-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

I changed the courtesy light to LED works great much improved. BUT the second time I opened the door the light stays on. I thought it was the switch, I replaced it but still stays on. Any thoughts?
The courtesy lamp always has positive 12 volts to the lamp ( 20 Ga. orange), and receives ground through the 2 door switches and the head light instrument panel light dimmer switch, when fully rotated. Either one of those 3 switches is still "on" or you have a pinched (shorted to ground) wire.

Note that since LEDs require less current, the old bulb may of been seeing the same "stray" current, but not having enough current to light. Now that you changed it to a LED, that lesser current is enough for it to light. If it is not one of the 3 switches (either "on" or faulty), then time to break out the meter, and track down where that "ground" is coming from.

Good luck,
Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 02-23-2016 at 04:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
62-C1 (02-24-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 09:55 PM
crystal59
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brighter Dash Lights

Originally Posted by bluzrocker
not LED in my case....used EIKO # 1895 higher illumaniton for illumation lights only dash and clack....not led but considerably brighter and a whiter softer look...Bill Harrison who Does Dash restoratins for me and manyu mant FORUM members sent them to me to install ...wow big difference order them on line EIKO lighting
I have a 76 and the dash lights are so dim they are barely readable. How many 1185 did you use. I also would like a brighter high beam light. Thanks. Gary

Last edited by crystal59; 03-01-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:25 AM
BILLY 63 swc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay Warm
My hands don't fit behind the dash to well so I used a pair of 10 inch long surgical locking type pliers you find at most swap meets and the job went easy.

Quick Reply: LED Bulbs for dash cluster & clock