C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 10:18 PM
Jriver
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Kill switch

Haven't gotten my 65 yet but was wondering.... I remember the old days of using a Kill Switch hidden in the interior so the car couldn't be started. I think it was set up to cut power to the coil. Is this the best place to cut power?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:57 PM
yzguyfl
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

I think so. I like that better than a starter kill switch (which you find common on alarms). Starter kill is obvious (they may try to defeat it), ignition kill is not. Chances are, they won't know why it does not start, and they kill the battery trying to start it. Better to have a dead battery, than a missing car.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:01 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

You can also install a **** type battery quick disconnect. It will save your battery when the car is sitting for a long period, say in winter but, it can be used as a theft deterrent as well by unscrewing and removing the **** there by killing any power supply to the system.

You'll get pros and cons as some guys have had issues with them (green ****, foreign produced) but there are some that are USA made (black ****) that, IMO are of better quality which is what I been using.

If you do decide on one install it on the negative post.

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 02-11-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:42 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yes - if you want a "kill" switch those green **** cutoffs will do the job....after a few years they'll get corroded and kill any chance you have of starting your car. I've had the expensive, American-made ones and they gradually went bad - I use only knife switches.

Any thief worth his salt will have a simple jumper wire and jump from the battery to your ignition coil and bypass your dash switch and most any cutoff you may install.
Just get good insurance and take reasonable precautions when leaving the car somewhere and enjoy life.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:27 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

If your only stoping a joy rider then that might delay them by a few minutes any person who is out to steel your car that won't even faze them at all. A trailer with a winch or a wire with clips and a screw driver and your off
Old 02-11-2016, 07:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Shhhh

I never add the screwdriver part just so nobody gets any ideas...
Many don't have a clue how easy it is to make off with one of these cars
Old 02-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Frank don't forget how easy it is to get to the ingntion switch harnes plug
Old 02-11-2016, 10:07 AM
treh1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

For a key-fob controlled battery-kill switch, you might want to look into a product called the Battery Brain T3. I installed one on my '58 about a year ago and I have never had an issue with it. It's a very convenient way to kill the battery without having to pop the hood each time.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:09 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

These cars are super easy to steal. Be insured. That said, I have a hidden kill switch to the coil of my '67 GTO convertible, which I leave unlocked and sometimes with the top down. I have a chain and padlock hood lock, so it would take a little effort to cut the lock off and hotwire the car. That, and it has a Truck-sized 'club' on the steering wheel. Use The Club on the 'Vette, too, just to keep people without bolt cutters honest. A lot of cars are stolen on a lark, and a kill switch will prevent that from happening. Plus, if your car is a stickshift, that seems to be a deterrent for the younger, clueless generation of thieves who can't drive a standard.
The following users liked this post:
Jriver (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Jam421
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

JRiver.... I also did this many times before but decades ago as you describe. Any typical 12V toggle or button switch properly rated that interrupts the negative side of the coil can be hidden in the cockpit and work reliably for years to deter the amateur car thief. A cranking car makes noise. Unless they are pros if you cost them any unexpected time it increases chances they leave. Cost for wire + switch at any auto parts store is minimal. You can also install a dummy switch ( with wires tied beneath dash) in more obvious location as a decoy. Again.....time cranking a motor that won't start is the deterrent. Cheap insurance bud !
Jriver (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Jriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTOguy
These cars are super easy to steal. Be insured. That said, I have a hidden kill switch to the coil of my '67 GTO convertible, which I leave unlocked and sometimes with the top down. I have a chain and padlock hood lock, so it would take a little effort to cut the lock off and hotwire the car. That, and it has a Truck-sized 'club' on the steering wheel. Use The Club on the 'Vette, too, just to keep people without bolt cutters honest. A lot of cars are stolen on a lark, and a kill switch will prevent that from happening. Plus, if your car is a stickshift, that seems to be a deterrent for the younger, clueless generation of thieves who can't drive a standard.
That's what I'm after, I will drive the car daily, but when I stop at the beach road I don't want to put the top up for what might be a ten minute walk on the sand. As for locking the hood doesn't seem to work with a corvette.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:04 PM
Jriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by treh1
For a key-fob controlled battery-kill switch, you might want to look into a product called the Battery Brain T3. I installed one on my '58 about a year ago and I have never had an issue with it. It's a very convenient way to kill the battery without having to pop the hood each time.
Thanks but I don't to kill the battery just trying to make it a little more difficult for a JOY ride.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:40 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Jriver, I never lock my ragtop GTO even with the top up because I'd rather have my road maps stolen than my top slit. A simple, rated switch in series with the ignition + side hidden somewhere will give you piece of mind. I have installed them in glove compartments (hidden), and have then locked the glove compartment. So somebody would have to be really on the ball to get your car for a quick joy ride. A worthy $10 addition to any classic car, IMO!
Old 02-11-2016, 02:55 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Jam421
JRiver.... I also did this many times before but decades ago as you describe. Any typical 12V toggle or button switch properly rated that interrupts the negative side of the coil can be hidden in the cockpit and work reliably for years to deter the amateur car thief. A cranking car makes noise. Unless they are pros if you cost them any unexpected time it increases chances they leave. Cost for wire + switch at any auto parts store is minimal. You can also install a dummy switch ( with wires tied beneath dash) in more obvious location as a decoy. Again.....time cranking a motor that won't start is the deterrent. Cheap insurance bud !
Wiring in a toggle switch to ground the - side of the coil works good. An attempt to hot wire the + side of the coil, ignition still no go. .. Hide the toggle switch hidden up behind the cluster and access by 'feel'. .
John

Last edited by mrg; 02-11-2016 at 02:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrg:
Jriver (02-11-2016), ry57pont (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 03:09 PM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Kill switch

Originally Posted by Jriver
Haven't gotten my 65 yet but was wondering.... I remember the old days of using a Kill Switch hidden in the interior so the car couldn't be started. I think it was set up to cut power to the coil. Is this the best place to cut power?
If you choose a switch to kill power to the coil you may also want to use (if you have a chrome distributor shield) allen head or torques machine screws to attach the shielding as most joy riders may have a screw driver but wont have a set of allen wrenches or torques to get at the coil. This tip came from a post I read in early 2000 when I first got my 66. Hope this helps. Jeff
Jriver (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 05:48 PM
Jriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by quahog
If you choose a switch to kill power to the coil you may also want to use (if you have a chrome distributor shield) allen head or torques machine screws to attach the shielding as most joy riders may have a screw driver but wont have a set of allen wrenches or torques to get at the coil. This tip came from a post I read in early 2000 when I first got my 66. Hope this helps. Jeff
Thanks, that's a great idea, at least another layer of protection.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:35 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
If your only stoping a joy rider then that might delay them by a few minutes any person who is out to steel your car that won't even faze them at all. A trailer with a winch or a wire with clips and a screw driver and your off
Kill switch is really useless. Thieves who are after classics generally watch them for awhile. A professional will have it on a sled in less than 60 sec... and in a container in less than an hour. Seen it done. Quick, Quiet and Painless.

Get notified of new replies

To Kill switch

Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 PM
Jriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by KENS78SILVERANNIV
Kill switch is really useless. Thieves who are after classics generally watch them for awhile. A professional will have it on a sled in less than 60 sec... and in a container in less than an hour. Seen it done. Quick, Quiet and Painless.
The professional could steal it out of my garage if he wanted. I'm trying to keep someone seeing it parked with the top down while I have dinner from jumping in pulling the connection from the cyl. jumping that and driving away.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:33 PM
yzguyfl
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes I think we ALL agree a pro will get it no matter what, but I don't think that is what we are talking about here. Anything you can do to misdirect or slow them down, is only a good thing and MAY help those that are less than pros (which probably make up the majority of car thieves )

Otherwise, if everyone is so set on it being so easy, just leave your doors open, keys in, and leave it running on the side of the road.... no? why? because we want to do what we can to deter them and/or slow them down.

Last edited by yzguyfl; 02-11-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Panhead (05-28-2017)
Old 02-11-2016, 08:31 PM
ry57pont
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought 2 of these, one for the car and one for my boat. Haven't installed them yet. But I like the concept. Probably will interrupt the coil. Hopefully it will make the theft just long enough so I can jump on the hood as they are driving away.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logisys-RM02...YAAOxy0P1SDmX-

Quick Reply: Kill switch