C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Deck lid weatherstrip replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 12:41 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Deck lid weatherstrip replacement.

After the deck lid spring job, I replaced the deck lid weatherstrip. It's somewhat time consuming when removing all the old hardened glue. I used GOOP OFF to soften up the glue. It may take a couple applications, but it does work. Next I used a 2-3 inch wire wheel to get all the remaining stuff off. This was the time consuming part. I found the install much easier as anyone would, but I think a couple of tricks might be useful. Blue Painters tape and 3-M glue, (black or yellow) are used. The actual length of the w/s might vary from one manufacturer to another, so find the center of the w/s and mark it (See blue tape w/black marker)) and then the center of the deck lid. Now is the trial fit.Lay out the w/s starting in the center, tape it in place, then mark each side the same way. Next, tape each end. You now have it fitted. Now remove the w/s. Take pieces of blue tape and attach them to the underside of the deck lid as shown in the pic. Now you are ready for the install. FIRST!..I put 3-M W/S Adhesive (3-4 min set up time) down only on the long back section first. Position the w/s starting in the center, use the blue tape all along to hold the w/s against the glue and let it set up 30/60 min. before you stretch each side around the corners. Now put the glue on the corners and sides the same way. This will help as you actually walk the w/s around each side to meet the side mark and the very end. Tape the end in place, then use the blue tape to hold the w/s against the glue. I hope this helps as we maintain the cars. Dennis
Attached Images  
The following 4 users liked this post by Bluestripe67:
C5workinprogress (02-22-2024), mcb55-210 (04-03-2016), Railroadman (10-19-2022), USMC 0802 (04-03-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 06:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Glad that you got yours on and it worked out for you.

Actually..the weatherstrip glue is a contact type....so applying it on both surfaces....the weatherstrip itself and also the deck lid.....allowing ti to tack up....which is important. And taking into account on the two surfaces of the deck lid and the weatherstrip where it also need to be applied and not just down the crease on the deck lid where the weatherstrip goes Allow it to tack up...do not forget to do this. When you set the weather strip in place...( after allowing it to tack up) it will stick like crazy...and the need for tape is greatly reduced.

Keep in mind you are not plastering the glue thick on both surfaces.

And it is then the 'trick' of knowing when to pull/stretch the weatherstrip ( if needed) so it does not cause the curve around the corner of the deck lid to release or not set correctly. I always stretch the weather strip on the straight-a-ways ( if needed)....so the curves can be applied under no stretching.

Just another way of doing it....if a person is looking for an option on not having to wait long periods of time to get it on.

I also wipe the weatherstrip with a soaked paper towel with acetone and then IMMEDIATELY DRY to remove any possibility of any mold release silicone or wax products when it was made.

DUB
Old 04-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Dub, I appreciate you review. The box for the glue had a big label over the directions, (ZIP stock bar code) but I found out set up time was 4 min. That concerned me so I did it in stages. I don't think I would want to try and wrangle w/s with glue on each surface. Yes it could be done, my shad tree technique did work. I put enough glue in the crevice to allowed some to wick round the w/s. The tape held it securely. I checked the w/s earlier today, holding nicely. I'll be able to look myself in the mirror if.....! Dennis
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluestripe67:
59BlueSilver (04-02-2016), C5workinprogress (02-22-2024)
Old 04-02-2016, 10:14 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Good timing for me. This is one of the jobs I wanted to get done this weekend. My deck lid and car are freshly painted and assembled so I want to do it while mounted and hinged open (of course). Having only done the engine hood this one will be tricky. Will follow DUBs advice and cover everything else with tape and plastic. This glue gets stringy and drips while applying in my limited experience. I may need a helper.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:18 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Nice write up Dennis!

Whatever it's worth I read on the CF a lot of guys are using hardware store Dap contact cement and plumbers (cheap) acid brushes for weatherstrip.

I did my PS door main with it, and a little tape, in under an hour and I can say I MUCH prefer it to every time I used 3M.

I know the 3M stuff has been used successfully for years but I wanted to pay a good idea forward.

Benton
Old 04-03-2016, 09:40 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gccch
Good timing for me. This is one of the jobs I wanted to get done this weekend. My deck lid and car are freshly painted and assembled so I want to do it while mounted and hinged open (of course). Having only done the engine hood this one will be tricky. Will follow DUBs advice and cover everything else with tape and plastic. This glue gets stringy and drips while applying in my limited experience. I may need a helper.
I think you are going to have a difficult time working upside down. I hope it works out. Dennis
Old 04-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gccch
Yes, a helper is worth having around.

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Nice write up Dennis!

Whatever it's worth I read on the CF a lot of guys are using hardware store Dap contact cement and plumbers (cheap) acid brushes for weatherstrip.

I did my PS door main with it, and a little tape, in under an hour and I can say I MUCH prefer it to every time I used 3M.

I know the 3M stuff has been used successfully for years but I wanted to pay a good idea forward.

Benton
It's good and good to know of another glue. I looked around at the hardware store and saw many glues, but just felt more comfortable with an automotive engineered stuff. ****? Yes! Next winter/spring I'll do the doors. Dennis
Old 04-03-2016, 10:35 AM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I think you are going to have a difficult time working upside down. I hope it works out. Dennis
Well, this is true. I plan to start in the middle and do the upside down part first with a helper, then move in either direction to the ends. Wife has other plans for me this morning, and it's cold with fresh snow outside so we will see if I can get to it.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:36 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

This is exactly what I was told to look for in older posts, for posterity Dennis. I. Love. It.

Did the door main with the door on the car no less, with no helper and no difficulty. Bear in mind the door main didn't need stretched.
<br >
The following 2 users liked this post by ChattanoogaJSB:
Bluestripe67 (04-03-2016), Dreaming60’s (01-22-2023)
Old 04-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Benton, I saw that same glue at the hardware store. Dennis
Old 04-03-2016, 05:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I use the liquid contact cement also...and I also use the black 3M adhesive also.

And if anything that I can suggest it for those of you who are doing this...and this is your 'maiden voyage' in doing it. Do yourself a BIG FAVOR and waste a little product and test it on something that you do not care about. Some of the old weatherstrip or paper or plastic...just get familiar with it.

What this will do is allow you to know how much to apply...and...how much surface area you can cover and get it to work. Because if it is 90 degrees outside....it will react quite differently than a guy who is working in 50 degree air.

I recently showed an owner of a 1967 427 I painted and I was applying the hood weatherstrip on his big block hood...and the extra weatherstrip that I cut off due to being too long. I had some of the contact cement on...and he was amazed that when he folded the weatherstrip back onto itself and squeezed the cemented areas together....he literally could not pull them apart without damaging the weatherstrip....because he was asking how good the glue I was using was.

And not that my views on this matter or not....BUT...if it is a convertible deck lid. I prefer doing it off the car and upside down ...AND YES......I know.....When I have freshly painted paint on it...I do not want the outer surface setting on anything if at all possible. SO....I force cure the paint several times with my infra-red heater....and then when I feel good about it....I do it....so I am not 'dilly-dallying' around and I get it done as quickly as possible. AND YES....I have installed it when the deck lid is also mounted. I just prefer to do it off the car.

I can apply the weatherstrips on the hood when it is installed with no issues. On the 1963-1967 I prefer to apply the door main weatherstrip with the door being off...BUT...I have done it with it on but it is NO picnic.

A person would be surprised that if they need to stretch the weatherstrip...and they do the stretching in/on a straight-away...and they allow the glue to tack up...the weatherstrip will not shrink back once they put it on. BUT also keep in mind and I will write it. The length of adhesive I apply when I am doing this is rather long...at least a foot if not more. So apply a dab of glue and expecting it to hold stretched weatherstrip will not work.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Tim Dearth (09-29-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 11:29 AM
1spacover
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dennis, I found this very helpful post. I have my decklid off the car. My question is the positioning of the two ends of the weatherstrip...do you have a pic of the end placement?
Thank you.
Monte
Old 01-06-2023, 12:08 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Monte, I have attached one pic of the end weatherstrip. Hope this helps. Dennis

Old 01-22-2023, 01:04 AM
L8@startin
Cruising

Is the adhesive applied to the surfaces the entire length "perimiter" or just in sections 12 inch here and there as you mentioned?
Old 01-24-2023, 02:34 PM
1spacover
Advanced

I just applied the adhesive in 12-16 inch sections
Old 01-24-2023, 03:34 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I put it on the full length, but in increments as 1spacover stated. Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To Deck lid weatherstrip replacement.

Quick Reply: Deck lid weatherstrip replacement.