C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Turn signal problem on 63

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 10:24 PM
lib
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Turn signal problem on 63

If I leave my park lights and headlights off, all of my turn signals work correctly. When I turn on the PARK LIGHTS ONLY, the driver's side turn signal indicator on my dash lights immediately.When I energize the signal, the driver's side front turn light flashes very weakly, the rear lights work correctly, and the indicator light on the dash doesn't flash intermittently.
All the other turn lights work correctly regardless if any lights are off or on. The only thing that affects the driver's front is the park lights. Any ideas of where to start looking are advised. BTW, the only thing I've done recently was replace the horn relay, and the horns work correctly now.Thanks- lib
Old 05-31-2016, 06:40 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Well there are two switches involved - the turn signal electrical switch at the floorboard and the headlight switch in the dash. I'm tempted to exonerate the turn signal switch since the signals operate properly with the headlight switch fully pushed in. Hence, I think you have a problem in the headlight switch or associated wiring. But, just for grins put the headlight switch in park light position and jiggle the turn signal handle in various positions and see if the symptoms change...
Old 05-31-2016, 09:58 AM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

What about checking the fuse box. I had a cracked one a year ago that caused intermittent touching of leads that lead to weird problems/gremlins in the car.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:32 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 442 Likes on 320 Posts

The problem I had two days ago the right turn signal wouldn't work
If I pushed the leaver real hard on bulb on right would work .
I took in for inspection and passed .
The problem which is good news for 63 corvette only the switch shown
needs adjustment all the wires are there and a simple cable adjustment needed that I haven't done yet. Here's what I found as far as adjustment.
Turn Signal Switch
REPLACEMENT
The 1963 turn signal switch is mounted on
the lower part of the steering column. The
switch is operated by a cable from the signal
housing located under the steering wheel.
1. Remove the screws holding the switch
case to the mast jacket.
2. Remove the control cable from the
spring clip at the switch.
3. Loosen the cable-to-switch retaining
screw.
4. Disconnect the switch wire.
5. Put the column lever in neutral.
6. Move the switch slide so that it is in the
center of the slot on the switch.
7. Install the cable into the spring clip
without disturbing the switch slide. Fasten
the cable with the screw.
8. Install the switch on the column.
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:27 PM
scott1963vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your ground wires on all your lamps.
Loose grounds create havoc.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I would think there would be problems with the headlight switch pushed all the way in too; if it were grounds....but it NEVER hurts to check those. A simple jumper wire from the bulb housing to a good ground would 'tell the tale'...
Old 06-01-2016, 11:23 AM
TX63CONV
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a similar problem when I replaced my dash harness. I cleaned all of the ground points in the turn signal lamp and the actual ground wire and it worked fine.

It seems the more you dig into the electrical on these cars, the more likely the issues are related to grounds.

Last edited by TX63CONV; 06-01-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:32 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 442 Likes on 320 Posts

Have inspection due on 63 corvette ,Checked all the turn signals the right blinkers weren't working .After playing with lights checking voltage and grounds ,

Still wouldn't work .Looked at diagrams ,steering column specks

.Got on corvette forum and a whole bunch of ideas to fix this problem .

Next day

When back out put more pressure on turn signal leaver found out on 63 corvette only there is a cable controlling the switch on bottom of column the single light worked .Still on taillight worked enough to get it thru inspection.

Ran it up when thru inspection no waiting when right thru and am good for two more years.

Day 2

Still trouble shooting problem today checked the normal things the inside light still didn't work checked grounds ,voltage on inside contacts checked bulb all ok pushed on bulb it worked .

after a long and exhausting pain in the *** problem the contacts on bulb were worn flat and weren't making contact with the spring loaded blub .

Fixed and done after a long and intense pain in the *** problem how was your day
That made my day just getting it fixed .

Last edited by rtruman; 06-01-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Thats a problem with reproduction bulbs and reproduction sockets in some cases....a sloppy fit. You can actually add solder to the two contacts on the bulbs bottom and increase their size....to get a tight fit.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-02-2016 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:37 PM
lib
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Problem solved!

The wires that are at the back of the turn signal housing go a short distance and enter into a connector.The other side of that connector is held by a rubber bushing that mounts on the driver's side wheel well liner. That bushing had dis-lodged and allowed the connector to work loose, but not dis-connect. I was able to snake one of my arms up under the bumper and behind the grill to reach the connector while laying in front of the car. I then was able to get my other arm back into the wheel well and push the connector back together. Watch out you don't get your arm stuck under the bumper. Don't ask me how I know......- lib
Old 06-11-2016, 07:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Good deal - always nice when you can fix something without removing unrelated parts....even if you get an occasional arm temporarily stuck or in a bind...

Get notified of new replies

To Turn signal problem on 63

Quick Reply: Turn signal problem on 63