C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Heater Control Valve Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 09:07 AM
Blacksburg Hokie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heater Control Valve Replacement

The heater control valve in my '61 is leaking. I replaced the heater core a few years ago, unfortunately I didn't think about replacing the valve then. I have the new valve on order.....do I have to pull the heater core to install? Do you have to drain the radiator before pulling the valve hoses?
Thx!
Old 10-30-2016, 10:20 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

You do NOT have to pull the heater core...

You'll want to drain the heater core at least a bit. A couple things of note...make sure you reuse or obtain the CORRECT elbow fitting with the flange to be leak free (see picture - its the "elbow with beads" fixture).
Don't use some Bubba hardware store plumbing elbow...

If you use original clamps you will want a set of rotating head Corbin clamp plies (trust me they'll save you a ton of cussing). Thirdly, repros don't include the long silver-colored, capillary tube as originals. You don't really HAVE to have it but if you are concerned about looking original salvage the old one and stick the ends into the location of the original and it'll look like its working.

Finally, don't twist on those pipe connections like a wild man...if you break the connection you'll have even more fun repairs. A little bit of silicone grease helps
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-30-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:51 PM
Blacksburg Hokie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good! Thanks, Frank!

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Control Valve Replacement

Quick Reply: Heater Control Valve Replacement