C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

power steering pump still groaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 04:46 PM
jules-57
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default power steering pump still groaning

Need some opinions on this issue. I just reinstalled a rebuilt power steering pump and at 6-750 rpm, still hearing a slight groaning sound until about 1000 rpm. Should this be happening, or did I receive a bad rebuild? used powersteering fluid and the levels look good. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you!
Old 10-30-2016, 05:09 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

It's always possible to get a poorly rebuilt pump. If your not happy, return it and find a new rebuilder. Dennis
Old 10-30-2016, 06:56 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by jules-57
Need some opinions on this issue. I just reinstalled a rebuilt power steering pump and at 6-750 rpm, still hearing a slight groaning sound until about 1000 rpm. Should this be happening, or did I receive a bad rebuild? used powersteering fluid and the levels look good. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you!
If you are not turning the wheels, there should be no noise, if so: bad bearing.
If you are turning the wheel right or left, you may hear some noise as the pump is under pressure, but should not be audible from the driver's seat unless you have really good hearing (like my wife).
If you are you are turning the wheel lock to lock until the wheels quit turning, you may get a squealing as the pump is loaded to the max.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:49 PM
jules-57
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to listen again and then write the rebuilders and see what they have to say. just a pain to have to do it again. thanks for the reply's.

Jim
Old 10-31-2016, 08:04 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Doubtful that this applies in your case, but I once had a new aftermarket PS pump that made a small sequel at low RPM. Turned out that the orifice on the outlet fitting was too small. Replaced it with one with a slightly larger orifice and that fixed the problem.

Charles

Get notified of new replies

To power steering pump still groaning

Quick Reply: power steering pump still groaning