C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

manual transmission lube

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 01:17 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default manual transmission lube

a generic question, not specific to a particular brand or type of transmission:

modern manual transmissions tend to use a lightweight lube such as ATF or something similar.

what, other than efficiency derived from moving/churning a thinner fluid, is the benefit of using the lighter lube?

AND, what would be the positives and negatives of using 'standard' weight lubes (other than efficiency) in a modern transmission.

Bill
Old 02-18-2017, 04:22 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Bill, as a non-petroleum and non-mechanical engineer, I can only guess. My guess would be tolerances, and bearing and gear design and alloys. Main reason for the thin lubes is fuel economy.Period. Installing the old thick stuff in a new tech trans would be a no-no. And vise-versa. It would be much better to discuss this over a cocktail or three while throwing scraps to the alligators off your back deck. Unfortunately, I am in California, with all the whackos, so I am limited to keyboard input. Cheers!
Jeff
Old 02-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

I can only speak for t5s but the early ones used a brown papery liner on the blockerd that some petroleums attacked, ATF does not. The new blockerd are improved carbon fiber but still like Dexron 3 ATF. Supposedly Dex 6 is too slipery.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:09 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by GTOguy
It would be much better to discuss this over a cocktail or three while throwing scraps to the alligators off your back deck. Unfortunately, I am in California, with all the whackos, so I am limited to keyboard input. Cheers!
Jeff
Once upon a time, I lived in Fresno for 19 months and was involved in building a small agricultural waste-to-energy plant in Firebaugh...

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 02-18-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:13 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
I can only speak for t5s but the early ones used a brown papery liner on the blockerd that some petroleums attacked, ATF does not. The new blockerd are improved carbon fiber but still like Dexron 3 ATF. Supposedly Dex 6 is too slipery.
in this specific case, the Keisler SS700, the rings supposedly have some kind of fiber facing....

Bill
Old 02-18-2017, 05:38 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

Yes, you are correct in that modern manuals from about the late 80's on used regular ATF or 30 wt motor oil. Sometimes synthetic sometimes not.
Probably build tolerances like GTOguy said, but also the old thicker 90wt. gear lube was just too thick for winter, cold driving. In below freezing temps the 90w would be just too thick and too many people complained of hard shifting and unable to get the trans in gear.

Was better after it warmed up but people don't wanna wait, they wanna go. I still run the old 90wt in my 65 Muncie but I don't do much cold weather driving either.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:57 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

I thought years ago i read that the700 also used carbon fiber lined blockers. Im guessing it requires ATF?
Old 02-18-2017, 06:02 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
I thought years ago i read that the700 also used carbon fiber lined blockers. Im guessing it requires ATF?
yes, according to the Keisler instructions...

seeing how ATF and Gear lube are both petroleum products, I can't see how it would be harmed.

Bill
Old 02-18-2017, 06:04 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by J.Moore
Yes, you are correct in that modern manuals from about the late 80's on used regular ATF or 30 wt motor oil. Sometimes synthetic sometimes not.
Probably build tolerances like GTOguy said, but also the old thicker 90wt. gear lube was just too thick for winter, cold driving. In below freezing temps the 90w would be just too thick and too many people complained of hard shifting and unable to get the trans in gear.

Was better after it warmed up but people don't wanna wait, they wanna go. I still run the old 90wt in my 65 Muncie but I don't do much cold weather driving either.
my MY6 speced atf, but some people also used 90wt. with 90wt I got synchro clash, with atf, nada...

Bill
Old 02-18-2017, 07:04 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I bought an '84 Ford Tempo, brand new. Never mind that 200 miles out of warranty and out in the middle of nowhere at 2:00 AM with three small kids in the car, it decided to spring a transaxle leak and the transmission started squeaking, squawking and grinding. It sounded horrible. I limped the 30 more miles home and parked it.

Next morning, (I'm still in the boonies) I start it up to drive it to the garage a couple miles down the road to put some grease in it. When I started it and let the clutch out, it killed the engine. The transmission had gotten so hot it welded itself together.

Next move was to restart the engine and goose up the throttle and pop the clutch. With a loud bang and a jerk, it broke free and away I went.

The transaxle was completely dry. The gasket had failed between the two transaxle halves. Anyway, he pumped it full of 90 wt and away I went, quiet as a mouse. Later, I learned that tramsaxle was supposed to have ATF, not 90 W.

I cleaned the leak area off with solvent, applied JB weld over the leak area. I had the car another 25-30K miles (about 45-50 total) and that transmission never made another sound or caused any problem with shifting with the 90 W in it.

To answer the question, I suspect the thin oil was spec'd for fuel economy reasons and the transmission was designed accordingly. I'm not sure but I believe that transmission design came from Japan.

Last edited by MikeM; 02-18-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:08 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

anyone know why 'blocker rings' are supposedly Kevlar or carbon fiber or some other god forsaken material rather than the brass we are familiar with?

Bill
Old 02-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
anyone know why 'blocker rings' are supposedly Kevlar or carbon fiber or some other god forsaken material rather than the brass we are familiar with?

Bill
Old 02-19-2017, 02:30 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Plasticman
thanks John, but no real discussion of what and why the proper lube is.

Bill
Old 02-19-2017, 02:56 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

I'll throw in another wild card: all the Japanese transmissions and transaxles in the 1980's and 1990's that specified motor oil (and there were a ton of them) relied on the ZDDP in the oil to provide anti shear and anti-scuff protection on the gears and other moving parts under high load. Modern oils without the high ZDDP levels in these transmissions would not be a good thing.....just like they aren't with our old flat-tapped camshaft engines. For all the same reasons. If I had a 25 year old Honda, I'd run diesel spec oil in the transaxle or a ZDDP boosted motor oil. Not off the shelf stuff. And in CA where I am, there are a TON of 25 year old Hondas, etc. still on the road.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:04 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I'll throw in another wild card: all the Japanese transmissions and transaxles in the 1980's and 1990's that specified motor oil (and there were a ton of them) relied on the ZDDP in the oil to provide anti shear and anti-scuff protection on the gears and other moving parts under high load. Modern oils without the high ZDDP levels in these transmissions would not be a good thing.....just like they aren't with our old flat-tapped camshaft engines. For all the same reasons. If I had a 25 year old Honda, I'd run diesel spec oil in the transaxle or a ZDDP boosted motor oil. Not off the shelf stuff. And in CA where I am, there are a TON of 25 year old Hondas, etc. still on the road.
Jeff
basically. my question is; IF a lube is not detrimental to the blocker ring or it's liner, is/are there lubes that are 'grabbier' (a technical term...) than others...

Bill
Old 02-19-2017, 03:45 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Jeff
basically. my question is; IF a lube is not detrimental to the blocker ring or it's liner, is/are there lubes that are 'grabbier' (a technical term...) than others...

Bill
Bill,

Even within the ATF fluid types, there are those that are "grabbier". We use to run "Type F" in our GM Turbo 400 trans because of that characteristic.

And I think you might be asking the wrong crowd here. Go search the C5 or C6 forums for the correct fluid in manual trans. I remember seeing several when I was a regular follower on the C5 forums (Tech and General).

John

Last edited by Plasticman; 02-19-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:57 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Bill,

Even within the ATF fluid types, there are those that are "grabbier". We use to run "Type F" in our GM Turbo 400 trans because of that characteristic.

And I think you might be asking the wrong crowd here. Go search the C5 or C6 forums for the correct fluid in manual trans. I remember seeing several when I was a regular follower on the C5 forums (Tech and General).

John
John

going to the C5/6 forums would be, for me, like going to a foreign country; I wouldn't even know what they are talking about.....

Bill
Old 02-19-2017, 05:47 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Bill,

Here are some recommendations from the C5 manual trans camp. 01 and up manual trans have triple/double compressed carbon blocking rings and synchros.

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee View Post (Bill C. is one of the foremost experts on the C5 forum):

The T-56 was designed to use ATF. Plain and simple. If you run a thick gear lube oil, your SYNCHROS and BLOCKER RINGS would most likely not function properly.

I've found the best fluid (IMHO) is the AMSOIL Products. They have something called TORQUE DRIVE and it is compatible with ALL C5 T-56 gear boxes.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...mission-fluid/

If your trans has paper blockers (like the earlier C5 manual trans (again from Bill C.):

Your 97 has paper Synchro blocker rings and synthetic ATF can damage them. NOT RECOMMENDED to use synthetic ATF in your trans.

Use an OEM Compatible ATF! They don't make DEXTRON III any more but there are compatible dino stock ATF fluids..

John

Last edited by Plasticman; 02-19-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:58 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Jeff

Bill
Yes. One reason synthetic gear oil is not recommended in some transmissions is due to the fact the syncro cones won't grab well enough t o allow shifting without clash. They slip. When I bought my new-to-me Tundra 4x4 last year, the previous owner had had the rear limited slip differential serviced with full synthetic lube. The clutches chattered like crazy. A change over to the factory specified dino gear lube with added positraction friction modifier completely fixed the problem. Synthetic oil is more 'slippery' than conventional dino based oils.

Get notified of new replies

To manual transmission lube

Quick Reply: manual transmission lube