C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Original Paint: impact on value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Barnfinder
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Original Paint: impact on value?

Anyone,

Car value guides typically show a rating standard as '1' (concours) through '5' (driver).
But what impact could original paint (not just original color) have on value?
I know 'survivor cars' seem all the rage now. I am not sure how to categorize mine...it isn't a barn find...it is nice AND mostly original.
I know the driver's seat was reupholstered, rear driver's window replaced, and when I took ownership a year ago, I replaced (but kept) the original radiator.

My 63 Split Window has flaws, but if you look at the close up photo I have attached, you will see cracks all over the paint. I have also been told corvette enthusiasts would especially appreciate the body seam lines surrounding the car. These lines are not visible on restored cars.

By the way, we checked the 'numbers' today...all match: 300hp 327 and 4 speed manual. I have the stock hubcaps and used bias ply tires to really keep it 'old school'.

Again, I am using the thread to get feedback on the issue of original paint with respect to value. Car is not for sale: I am enjoying it!
Attached Images   
Old 04-13-2017, 07:25 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

If you can say for certain that is the paint the St Louis line workers sprayed and not just a 40 year old repaint then for sure it adds to the car. I don't know if there is a dollar value or not. But most real car collectors would pay more for a original paint car then a restored on IF the paint is in good condition for its age
The following users liked this post:
SWC Tim (04-16-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 07:29 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

X2. If the paint is indeed original, to strip it and re-paint it would be a crime, and de-value the car as well. Car looks great, IMO. The same applies to re-finished antique furniture, guns, etc. Original is king, even if it's slightly shopworn.
SWC Tim (04-16-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree, original paint on a car is something special, even if the rest of the car has been restored and as such is not a survivor / bowtie candidate.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:11 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,316 Posts

It's tough to say what effect the paint has on the value, to a large degree, it depends on the buyer. There are buyers that will pay extra for a car with original paint, and others who will who will devalue the car, by the cost of repainting it.

Seeing that your car has what appears to be a dealers badge on the left rear, I'd say it's a good bet that the paint is original. Most people get rid of them, when repainting a car.

I'm a fan of original cars, and can appreciate the imperfections that come with age. They're only original once.

I like the idea of the stock wheel covers, but if you're going to drive the car, please reconsider the used bias ply's. The car will drive better with radials, and be a lot safer too. Old tires, especially anything over 8-10 years old, are particularly dangerous. The last thing you want to do is have to repaint your original paint car, because an old tire damaged the car. Even a set of reproduction bias ply's, are a much better choice, if you plan to drive the car.

It's a really pretty car. Good luck with it!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Barnfinder
Intermediate

Great catch observing about the dealer emblem...I believe I am the third owner. The second owner acquired the car in approximately 1971...believe it or not, the second owner worked for the car company that found this at - get this - a USED CAR AUCTION. They were about to put it on their used lot and he bought it from them.
These bias ply tires are new...bought them last year from Coker.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 683 Posts

Ask yourself this question, would you pay more for the car if the paint were perfect? Would you pay less if the paint were perfect? Your answer will lead you.

For me, I'd like original, but only if it were nice, smooth, and shiny. I'd like a repaint, only if it was nice, smooth, and shiny - without overspray. Anything else is worth less, to me. So your car, to me would be worth more if the paint did not have the cracking, or the paint were near perfect on a re-spray. While very nice, I would not like the paint you have - but that's just me. I think we are accustomed to seeing repaints that look like Earl Schibe did them. That doesn't move the needle for me.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:39 PM
Faslane
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a original paint 64, I think it makes it more desirable now, but as far as money, dont think it would bring more money, I did pay top dollar for mine, I wanted a car not takin apart, paint was a big plus,
Old 04-14-2017, 02:07 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

What do you want to do with the car that you can't do with the Original paint.. as is?
Old 04-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Harps
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 51 Posts

One of the most unique things in the car hobby has a whole is an original classic/muscle car. You know the saying, "they're only original once". I think that brings with it an inherent added value most of the time. And then throw in the fact that your car is a '63 split window, then yes I would say that does raise the bar in value.

Really awesome car!

We've got a couple really unique survivor cars, and they're values are definitely higher than a comparable restored car. National & regional awards on the car also help out on value too.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:44 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

To someone who appreciates originality, which I do, original paint would add to the car's value. It just separates it from all the restored cars and makes it unique. At any Corvette gathering, the original cars draw alot more attention than all the restored cars. Not sure of an exact number. It's too subjective. Of course if the original paint is really bad it may not be a value adder.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:20 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
It's tough to say what effect the paint has on the value, to a large degree, it depends on the buyer. There are buyers that will pay extra for a car with original paint, and others who will who will devalue the car, by the cost of repainting it.

Seeing that your car has what appears to be a dealers badge on the left rear, I'd say it's a good bet that the paint is original. Most people get rid of them, when repainting a car.

I'm a fan of original cars, and can appreciate the imperfections that come with age. They're only original once.

I like the idea of the stock wheel covers, but if you're going to drive the car, please reconsider the used bias ply's. The car will drive better with radials, and be a lot safer too. Old tires, especially anything over 8-10 years old, are particularly dangerous. The last thing you want to do is have to repaint your original paint car, because an old tire damaged the car. Even a set of reproduction bias ply's, are a much better choice, if you plan to drive the car.

It's a really pretty car. Good luck with it!
Great call on the dealer emblem...I missed that too. I have to respectfully disagree with you on the bias ply tires, however. While I do not recommend running old old tires, I have yet to see a bias belted tire separate and take out a fender or anything else. They tend to blow out and go flat, or just go flat. No steel belts to cut into the cord and beat the car up with. Worked for a major tire company for 14 years. Steel belted radials, that's a whole different animal. Absolute time bombs. I am running 25 year old bias plies on my own '61 without concern....they are soft, pliable, and un-cracked. And will wear out in 12-15,000 miles anyway, as bias plies do.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:58 AM
DEAN A NELSON
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice car, I would not paint it. Value will be more as other have said.
once one is painted a lot of small things about the body will go away.
when I look at a mid year that the paint looks just perfect, I stand at the front and look down the side and see if the little "waves" above the wheel wells are still their, most all the time they are gone as the paint process will make them gone.

they all will crack over time. I have a 1967 that my Uncle bought new in 67. He is from Fargo N.D. his every day car back than. It has lived in 100* summer and -40* winter. has lots of cracks.

it is a BG Benchmark as is, I will never paint it. I have owned it from 1980.
Photo is from this year when he was in town, he is now 86 years young.

Dean Nelson
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2017, 01:39 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnfinder
...believe it or not, the second owner worked for the car company that found this at - get this - a USED CAR AUCTION. .
63 is 54 years old. Probably hundreds have passed through wholesalers, auctions and small car lots. In the 70s they were two thousand dollar cars. My friend bought an original 63 fuel car, cut the wheel wells out, trash canned the fuel unit mounted two huge four barrels and a huge hood scoop. Permanent drag and ice racing car under his ownership. Another used car that looked good with huge slicks and exhaust dumps.
Through fantastic advertising and auctions the prices have sky rocketed. I own two 63 coupes for less than seven thousand. Probably over paid at the time but I liked the style.
My 60 fuel car was bought off a side street car lot. Second owner drives by saw it on the front row and bought it. Original paint flaking off the drivers door, unmolested big brake complete full option fuelie, supposedly 1 of 119 so equipped. Just another used car.
Now that " value mongers " have set foot in the hobby everything is gold. With so many inquiries about " what's it worth " why worry ? You own it, drive it, maintain it. If you purchased it your comfortable with its value. What others think is immaterial . Its just a car. GM made tons of them.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The dealers emblem is one clue; another is the pimple on the hood surround lip right at the 13th cowl vent grille opening (about the size of the head of a straight pin).....many (not all) restorers sand that small nub off and that's a giveaway its been repainted... I don't have a picture handy but others might....also at the front edge of the doors that should be unbuffed lacquer....the paint can be very thin towards that area.....

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-14-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:20 PM
Harry Hood
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The dealers emblem is one clue; another is the pimple on the hood surround lip right at the 13th cowl vent grille opening (about the size of the head of a straight pin).....many (not all) restorers sand that small nub off and that's a giveaway its been repainted... I don't have a picture handy but others might....also at the front edge of the doors that should be unbuffed lacquer....the paint can be very thin towards that area.....
Mold flaw
cor28vettes (11-30-2018)
Old 04-14-2017, 09:30 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

At least you know the car has never been hit, if you can prove the paint is original. And that in its self makes the car worth more.

Get notified of new replies

To Original Paint: impact on value?

Old 04-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You can have 95% factory paint and still have repaired damage....
Original paint doesn't necessarily imply "no hit"...
Old 04-15-2017, 10:03 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You can have 95% factory paint and still have repaired damage....
Original paint doesn't necessarily imply "no hit"...
I thought he was talking about "original" paint. Now if any area has been repainted due to hit, scrape, what ever then it's not original paint.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Barnfinder
Intermediate

Dimple
Thin paint on edge
This is the seam I discussed that goes around the car

Quick Reply: [C2] Original Paint: impact on value?