C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Broken Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 03:17 PM
UK 63 Conv
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Speedometer

My Speedometer stopped working. I just replaced the cable. I put the gauge end in first, checked it was working by connecting a drill. Fitted to transmission but still not working !! The transmission end fitted fine, the anti-rotation tab is in place.
What next???
Old 04-19-2017, 03:57 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

check the plastic gear in the transmission for stripped teeth
Old 04-19-2017, 06:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
check the plastic gear in the transmission for stripped teeth

Just be careful when pulling the fitting out...because IF the plastic gear fall into your transmission... TRUST ME...that is NOT GOOD and the tailshaft housing will have to come off to get the gear out. It recently happened to me on one.

Also...it is s stretch.but IF the plastic gear is good....I wonder if the gear that is on the mainshaft has moved...which will cause the transmission to come out....becasue...unless you are a really good mechanic and have a lot of tools...trying to correct that WITH the transmission still in the car...like the Corvette I did that I mentioned about in the above paragraph....is not an easy feat. But it can be done.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Speedometer

Quick Reply: Broken Speedometer