C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 A/C r134 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:23 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I've noticed exactly this in the industry. In the late '90's, R-12 went through the roof and people hoarded it. Most of those cars were used up and are now gone. The few remaining R12 cars are usually valued collector cars. I've picked up R12 at swap meets for $10 per 12 ounce can. A buddy of mine scored a 30 pound tank for $50. It's out there. Remember when it was so cheap people used to blow their freon horns with it at ball games? And use it to cool down their warm beer?
I used it often as tracer gas in the chemical plants to help measure various unknown flowrates in pipes. Went thru a LOT of 30 lb jugs in those days.

One guy I worked with who claimed AC experience used to do a full recharge for his friends without evacuating the system.........he just blew enough (a LOT) R12 thru all the tubings and openings to purge out all the air. Then charged the system

Yes........times have changed.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 04-20-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:39 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

134a gets a bad rep... I understand it's 'apples & oranges', and that the old A6 style compressor is not as efficient with 134a; but a 134a system can be (cool.. pun intended)....

Bill
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2017, 11:32 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by wmf62
134a gets a bad rep... I understand it's 'apples & oranges', and that the old A6 style compressor is not as efficient with 134a; but a 134a system can be (cool.. pun intended)....

Bill
Bill:

I agree that R134a will do a great job............in an AC system that is designed for it.

You can convert the older R12 systems for R134a, but it takes a bit of work to do it right..........not just blow the R12 charge and add a few cans of R134a back to the system.

I just helped a friend with the Vintage Air on his 1970 Corvette (using R134a gas). We got it down to BELOW 32 F at the ducts. He was in the car with the thermometer and I was in his VERY HOT and smokey garage adding the refrigerant with sweat dripping off my nose. He said I did a GREAT job and his wife would be happy.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 04-21-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Vintage Air "aftermarket" AC system in my 1966..... if my aftermarket compressor was designed to run with R134A, can I realistically convert it to R12A? If so, I'd love to run the older and BETTER refrigerant!
Please educate me!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dbl6gun
I have a Vintage Air "aftermarket" AC system in my 1966..... if my aftermarket compressor was designed to run with R134A, can I realistically convert it to R12A? If so, I'd love to run the older and BETTER refrigerant!
Please educate me!
WHY???? as said above with R134 you can get 32* at the vents
Old 04-21-2017, 02:19 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by emdoller
If you have the quick connect ports, the system was likely converted. "Legally" that's the way it should be done. I've seen cars converted and the R12 ports kept the same. Most of the time they are switched over.

To be sure you can take it to a shop.

Lastly, Larry knows what he's talking about!! He's helped me quite a bit so trust his judgement.

Ed
Ed,
in about 1994 I converted my Chevelle to 134 and just made adapters so I could keep the old R-12 ports.
it's always worked fine, but then again I didn't have a good way to compare it to R-12 as I didn't take the temps it blew.

Larry,
Gets hot here and my friends wife came to pick him up at the shop. This was rears ago, and her air was not working because of a leak. It was a BMW and they had a 40 min ride home. He asked if I had R-12 and at the time we didn't. So he said just do anything so we can get home. The wife was overheated and getting sick. He said it's got to be fixed so do anything. I shot some R-134 on top of the R-12 and it blew cool. He never had another problem with the car and it worked fine till they traded it in. LUCK,Another BuBa thing that worked,
I looked at the 134 conversion kit and it does not have all the O-rings needed to convert the compressor. When I finished my Chevelle I charged it with 134 without the kit and all was good. Not saying that's the right thing to do but I thought I would use it till I had a problem. I got lucky and have since put the original compressor on. Took the one apart that I took off and all the black O-rings were still good.
I was going to do my 67 with 134 and keep the original ports, BUT a long lost friend came over to the shop with a box he said I gave him years ago for helping me. It was a full canister of R-12. So my 67 will be R-12.
Some used to put a bit of propane in the system to make it colder. There was a product called "HOT SHOT" that was supposed to get the system to blow colder and it was said it contained propane. I think it's off the market because it was flammable. Then so is gas & oil flammable.
Larry, thanks again for your help, I owe ya.

Dom
Old 04-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by domenic tallarita
Ed,
in about 1994 I converted my Chevelle to 134 and just made adapters so I could keep the old R-12 ports.
it's always worked fine, but then again I didn't have a good way to compare it to R-12 as I didn't take the temps it blew.

Larry,
Gets hot here and my friends wife came to pick him up at the shop. This was rears ago, and her air was not working because of a leak. It was a BMW and they had a 40 min ride home. He asked if I had R-12 and at the time we didn't. So he said just do anything so we can get home. The wife was overheated and getting sick. He said it's got to be fixed so do anything. I shot some R-134 on top of the R-12 and it blew cool. He never had another problem with the car and it worked fine till they traded it in. LUCK,Another BuBa thing that worked,
I looked at the 134 conversion kit and it does not have all the O-rings needed to convert the compressor. When I finished my Chevelle I charged it with 134 without the kit and all was good. Not saying that's the right thing to do but I thought I would use it till I had a problem. I got lucky and have since put the original compressor on. Took the one apart that I took off and all the black O-rings were still good.
I was going to do my 67 with 134 and keep the original ports, BUT a long lost friend came over to the shop with a box he said I gave him years ago for helping me. It was a full canister of R-12. So my 67 will be R-12.
Some used to put a bit of propane in the system to make it colder. There was a product called "HOT SHOT" that was supposed to get the system to blow colder and it was said it contained propane. I think it's off the market because it was flammable. Then so is gas & oil flammable.
Larry, thanks again for your help, I owe ya.

Dom
Dom:

You are welcome...............you are one of the good guys and are a pleasure to work with. Your compressor work is the best around.

Plus you have a lot of good stories.

Years ago we did what we had to to gets things to work or get them done. Not all were "bubba" or bad. But nowdays I try to help folks to things the right way right from the start. I would feel badly if I did otherwise.

Take care old friend.

Larry
Old 04-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
WHY???? as said above with R134 you can get 32* at the vents
Why not? R12 is a better refrigerant.

Last edited by Dbl6gun; 04-21-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:08 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Smokeless powder is a better propellant than black powder. Doesn't mean using it in a 130 year old rifle is the smart thing to do. Dbl6gun, you need to educate yourself on automotive A/C systems. Plenty of good information on the internet on auto repair websites. R-12 is better in systems designed for R-12, R-134a systems can not/should not be used with R-12. Might as well fill your Corvette up with diesel fuel while you're at it!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Smokeless powder is a better propellant than black powder. Doesn't mean using it in a 130 year old rifle is the smart thing to do. Dbl6gun, you need to educate yourself on automotive A/C systems. Plenty of good information on the internet on auto repair websites. R-12 is better in systems designed for R-12, R-134a systems can not/should not be used with R-12. Might as well fill your Corvette up with diesel fuel while you're at it!

Nice sarcastic response....
Old 04-21-2017, 03:43 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

I think the moral of the story is:

1) if your system is working, count your blessings and leave it alone
2) if your system isn't working AND it was originally designed to use R12, use R12. You will have a higher probability of getting it to work correctly. If it was designed to use R134, use it.
3) if you want to convert for whatever reason, go ahead it can be done although there's much debater over how cold you can get 134a and / or what needs to be swapped out and/ or modified which is why I like option #1 or option #2 :-)

Ed
Old 04-22-2017, 05:05 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbl6gun
Please educate me!
I do a lot of classic car a/c, both original and retrofit, I make my own hard and soft lines. I have a refrigerant identifier and I won't touch an open jug unless I check it to insure what it is, the same also goes for a system that has a charge in it.

A while back I completely rebuilt a factory air system in a 57 Continental Mark II, it took 7 pounds of R-12, we ended with 35 degree air from the roof outlets.

If a system is designed for R134 then R12 is not a better refrigerant for that system.

The proper amount of the charge is critical and should always be installed with critical charge equipment, the smaller the system the more critical the volume of the charge, I have seen systems where 1 ounce would make a difference.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Dbl6gun (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Pilon
I do a lot of classic car a/c, both original and retrofit, I make my own hard and soft lines. I have a refrigerant identifier and I won't touch an open jug unless I check it to insure what it is, the same also goes for a system that has a charge in it.

A while back I completely rebuilt a factory air system in a 57 Continental Mark II, it took 7 pounds of R-12, we ended with 35 degree air from the roof outlets.

If a system is designed for R134 then R12 is not a better refrigerant for that system.

The proper amount of the charge is critical and should always be installed with critical charge equipment, the smaller the system the more critical the volume of the charge, I have seen systems where 1 ounce would make a difference.

Bill
Thank you Bill for taking the effort to explain it to me.

Quick Reply: 1967 A/C r134 conversion