C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:01 PM
street62
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Neutral safety switch

How can I wire in a neutral safety switch on my 62 . I installed an automatic transmission.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:07 PM
ganshert
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by street62
How can I wire in a neutral safety switch on my 62 . I installed an automatic transmission.
I asked the same question recently, here's an option for an automatic.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.ph...0014/FR20111NS
Old 04-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

What transmission did you put in it? I have a 700R4 in my 1962. Bowtie overdrives has a bracket and switch that goes on the transmission linkage that works in both Park and Neutral.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:49 AM
street62
Racer

Default Switch

I installed a TH400 . I have a B and M shifter with a switch, I need the wiring/ relay or what is needed.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I installed a TH400 . I have a B and M shifter with a switch, I need the wiring/ relay or what is needed.
The neutral safety switch goes in the starter circuit. You need to tap into the wire off the key switch that normally goes to the starter solenoid, through the neutral safety switch, and then to the starter solenoid where the original wire attached. No relays needed.

This is what the back of the stock key ignition switch looks like. You are using the terminal marked "Sol" for solenoid.

This is what the back of the starter solenoid looks like. You are hooking into the smaller terminal marked "S" for start. The wire there is the one you are either removing or tapping into with your neutral safety switch.

In summary, your neutral safety switch is hooked between "Sol" on the back of the key switch and "S" on the starter solenoid. I just found an out of view spot to splice in the wire already there to hook up my switch.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:34 PM
street62
Racer

Thanks that should be easy enough. I didn't know the switch on the shifter could handle the current.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:07 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Old 12-13-2020, 07:18 PM
Mad_Dog_1965
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
The neutral safety switch goes in the starter circuit. You need to tap into the wire off the key switch that normally goes to the starter solenoid, through the neutral safety switch, and then to the starter solenoid where the original wire attached. No relays needed.

This is what the back of the stock key ignition switch looks like. You are using the terminal marked "Sol" for solenoid.

This is what the back of the starter solenoid looks like. You are hooking into the smaller terminal marked "S" for start. The wire there is the one you are either removing or tapping into with your neutral safety switch.

In summary, your neutral safety switch is hooked between "Sol" on the back of the key switch and "S" on the starter solenoid. I just found an out of view spot to splice in the wire already there to hook up my switch.
Hi Randy! i am very new to this forum and need some help with my 1966 corvette with 4 speed Muncie transmission. i took my car into the shop to upgrade to a 700R4 automatic transmission with Shiftwork shifter but my mechanic says he cannot find the Neutral Safety wires, the 2 purple wires. i suspect that is because it originally was a 4 speed that it did not come with it. is that correct? The question is how do you run the new wires to create the missing 2 PURPLE NEUTRAL SAFETY wires to hook up to the Shiftworks shifter? Can you outline the steps on how the two purples wires? THANK YOU in advance. i want to make sure i understand when i talk to my mechanic next week.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:31 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1602662193
Old 12-14-2020, 09:53 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad_Dog_1965
Hi Randy! i am very new to this forum and need some help with my 1966 corvette with 4 speed Muncie transmission. i took my car into the shop to upgrade to a 700R4 automatic transmission with Shiftwork shifter but my mechanic says he cannot find the Neutral Safety wires, the 2 purple wires. i suspect that is because it originally was a 4 speed that it did not come with it. is that correct? The question is how do you run the new wires to create the missing 2 PURPLE NEUTRAL SAFETY wires to hook up to the Shiftworks shifter? Can you outline the steps on how the two purples wires? THANK YOU in advance. i want to make sure i understand when i talk to my mechanic next week.
No, not correct according to what I recall. I'm remembering that all C2's have the two purple wires. The two purple wires at least on my 66 are near the center of the car in the bundle near the hood ledge at the top. May be difficult to see, don't remember without looking. My recollection at least for the c2 cars is that all manuals and autos have the two purple wires, but on the manuals the two lpurples are plugged together and then taped over to secure the plug more ore less permanently. By untaping you can get to the two purples.

On the auto cars, the neutral safety switch connects to each of the two purples, this allowing the switch to control any current I the starter solenoid. No use running off of the ignition switch and such, the hard part has already been done for you.

When my neutral safety switch gave out on me, I temporarily just disconnected it from the two purples and then connected the two purples together, allowing me to start the car and drive home. But be very careful, it'll start with the gearshift in any position!!!

Just run your new neutral safety switch to the two purples under the hood, unplug the two and connect the switch, and you should be good to go!

I think this procedure may also be referenced in the assembly manual under the M35 Powerglide option when detailing how to install that option.

Last edited by Ron Miller; 12-14-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:09 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Old 12-14-2020, 12:31 PM
Mad_Dog_1965
Instructor

Thank you all for all your help. seems pretty straight forward.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:09 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Thank you all for all your help. seems pretty straight forward.
It is pretty straightforward once you locate the two purple wires under the hood. I think you'll find them taped up, perhaps in a bundle with other wires behind the ignition shielding. Need to remove the ignition shielding for sure, maybe another item or two to access the wires. Once you locate and unplug the two purples, insert the safety switch two wires between the two purple wires and you're good to go, assuming the switch is properly adjusted after installation.

Below is a photo from Doc Rebuild's wiring diagram for 1966 Corvettes showing what the two purple wiring connectors look like. As you'll see in Doc's note, the wires are already there in the wiring harness, it's just that with a manual transmission they're joined together and taped up.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:13 PM
Mad_Dog_1965
Instructor

My mechanic did not know where these two purple wires were so i suspect that he may have just ran his on ignition wire without the NS. I will look for the purple wires after I pick up my car this week. THANKS.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:52 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

My mechanic did not know where these two purple wires were so i suspect that he may have just ran his on ignition wire without the NS. I will look for the purple wires after I pick up my car this week. THANKS.
Well, if all else fails, looks like you can start your search at the starter solenoid. According to the wiring diagram it'll be the darker purple 14 gage wire connected to the solenoid.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:09 AM
Mike-64C2
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Neutral safety switch mounting location

I read the thread of posts on the neutral safety switch which was helpful, and I would like to add this to my car while I am rewiring. Can someon provide info on where this switch mounts?
Old 09-09-2021, 10:14 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

The neural safety switch itself mounts on underside the wires come up to behind distributer and plug into stock harness on 63 corvette

Get notified of new replies

To Neutral safety switch

Old 09-09-2021, 10:41 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike-64C2
I read the thread of posts on the neutral safety switch which was helpful, and I would like to add this to my car while I am rewiring. Can someon provide info on where this switch mounts?
What transmission and shifter do you have?
Old 09-10-2021, 11:01 AM
Mike-64C2
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
What transmission and shifter do you have?
I have a non-stock manual. It's a Doug Nash 4+1 5-speed, a pretty neat unit although I wish it had an overdrive gear (5th is a straight 1:1 ratio). I don't think it has a neutral safety switch on it, but it needs a rebuild so I may want to add this feature. Everything I know about this switch I learned from American Autowire's Classic Update kit instructions (I am rewiring) and this forum thread, so not too much. I appreciate the help though.
The following users liked this post:
rtruman (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 11:30 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

I Paid 700 dollars for a new old stock safty switch for the 63 corvette Put you car in drive see if it starts keep foot on brake

Quick Reply: Neutral safety switch