C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 11:33 AM
Mike-64C2
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
I Paid 700 dollars for a new old stock safty switch for the 63 corvette Put you car in drive see if it starts keep foot on brake
I have done this, and the starter engages, so I apparently don't have this switch. I thought it would be a nice add, but based on where it is placed, I will wait until I have the body off to see about adding one.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:05 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

If your car was originally a manual transmission and has never been modified except for upgrading to another manual transmission, it should never have had a neutral safety switch. If you look at my post #13 above you'll see that manual transmission C2's had two purple wires that plug together, located under the hood near the center of the vehicle. They're in the bundle of wires taped together and covered up just beneath the hood ledge. On C2's with automatic transmissions these two wires were disconnected from each other and a second neutral safety harness with two wires controlling the signal to the starter solenoid was plugged into the purple wires, one wire to each of the purples. The neutral safety switch itself was nothing magical on these cars, just a simple open/closed switch that didn't make contact unless the automatic shifter was in either park or neutral position. On '63 and I think '64 cars the switch was located on the transmission and operated through shifter linkage, while on '65 thru '67 cars it is located on the shifter itself, accessed by removing the shifter mechanism from the center console.

Since the switch is only in either a "connected" (on) position or "disconnected" (off) position, there's no great magic in installing a similar switch on any manual transmission car. You could start with a "normally open" push button switch and find a position to mount it that the clutch or clutch linkage would depress when the clutch is fully depressed. Some of the manual transmission cars (I don't remember which ones) came from the factory with such a switch on manual transmission vehicles "back in the day", but that day was several-several years ago to my memory. All that's required is to disconnect the two purple wires in the wiring harness and to insert the two neutral switch wires into the purples. You figure out where the switch would be best located.

Hope this helps, doesn't require any body off work . . . . .

Ron

PS The Doug Nash may have provisions for mounting a neutral safety switch already, I don't know. If so, just use their switch and route the to ends to the two purple wires shown in post #13.

Last edited by Ron Miller; 09-10-2021 at 02:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rtruman (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 03:33 PM
Mike-64C2
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
If your car was originally a manual transmission and has never been modified except for upgrading to another manual transmission, it should never have had a neutral safety switch. If you look at my post #13 above you'll see that manual transmission C2's had two purple wires that plug together, located under the hood near the center of the vehicle. They're in the bundle of wires taped together and covered up just beneath the hood ledge. On C2's with automatic transmissions these two wires were disconnected from each other and a second neutral safety harness with two wires controlling the signal to the starter solenoid was plugged into the purple wires, one wire to each of the purples. The neutral safety switch itself was nothing magical on these cars, just a simple open/closed switch that didn't make contact unless the automatic shifter was in either park or neutral position. On '63 and I think '64 cars the switch was located on the transmission and operated through shifter linkage, while on '65 thru '67 cars it is located on the shifter itself, accessed by removing the shifter mechanism from the center console.

Since the switch is only in either a "connected" (on) position or "disconnected" (off) position, there's no great magic in installing a similar switch on any manual transmission car. You could start with a "normally open" push button switch and find a position to mount it that the clutch or clutch linkage would depress when the clutch is fully depressed. Some of the manual transmission cars (I don't remember which ones) came from the factory with such a switch on manual transmission vehicles "back in the day", but that day was several-several years ago to my memory. All that's required is to disconnect the two purple wires in the wiring harness and to insert the two neutral switch wires into the purples. You figure out where the switch would be best located.

Hope this helps, doesn't require any body off work . . . . .

Ron

PS The Doug Nash may have provisions for mounting a neutral safety switch already, I don't know. If so, just use their switch and route the to ends to the two purple wires shown in post #13.
Your explanation and previous post #13 are helpful. I will locate my purple wires and use the drawing you provided. Thank you

Quick Reply: Neutral safety switch