C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is MSD Really Necessary

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 05:44 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have had many over the years and in fact have two cars currently with them. I had them because of their reliability. You need to wire them so the box is in the interior under the dash as the heat under the hood will take it's toll. The are good for really hi performance applications such as true racing, nitrous and you can change out the plug in rev limiter. However for daily hotdog driving you are WAY better off with a simple Pertronix. They are cheaper, reliable and are good quality improved performance for that type of driving.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Tcheairs38655
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

In my original post, I pointed out that this engine installation is a RHS Magnum (450hp) "race bred" internally balanced 383 Stroker crate engine with Dart Heads and a mild roller cam. So, 7k is not an unreasonable RPM expectation. I don't race the car but I do like to "blow it out" every now and then. Think I'll probably just switch to a (properly curved) HEI tach drive distributor and forget the MSD boxes. But thanks for all the wisdom

Last edited by Tcheairs38655; 05-03-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:57 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I have bought several cars over the last several decades with MSD ignition components on them. I pulled the stuff off and put it on the shelf. Still sitting there. I didn't need the heartache and they seemed to run just fine with AC Delco stuff.

I am somewhat biased but I don't believe that stuff is necessary for a street driver at all.

Last edited by MikeM; 05-03-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:59 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,113 Posts

7,000 RPM is no worry with the proper DP-112 Delco points. They were made for it.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,085 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I pulled the MSD out of my '67 Chevelle within a week of owning it...

For that matter I'm not a big HEI fan either, that bloated distributor cap just looks wrong to me....a lot of people have great luck with them....its a personal thing..
Old 05-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Steve Stone
Racer

Received 838 Likes on 168 Posts

I have 2 MSD boxes & 2 coils. One pair runs the engine and the other is backup. My first MSD box, which was installed in the early ‘70’s, failed after 25 years of use. When I got my new engine in 2007 I ordered it with a complete MSD system. I decided to install my old system so when failures occurs that I will be able to switch over to my backup by relocating the coil wire, change the harness under the distributor, & flipping a circuitry switch. I have been using the mounting location on the inner fender facing the engine since the early ‘70’s. The other location around the corner, and perpendicular to the engine has been used since 2007. I do switch over to my backup every 2 years or so and leave it in operation just to make sure both are operational. No failures since the first box failure. The coils are mounted on the fire wall next to the master cylinder.

Regards,

Steve Stone (original owner ’63 triple black convertible, 549,000 miles)
Old 05-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
just a good old fashioned corvette tach drive distributor with points... always worked, always will...

Bill
Old 05-03-2017, 07:40 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,537 Likes on 1,067 Posts

So what's the serial number on your motor. They've been gone for quite a a while. And yes an hei will be all you need.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:46 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,027 Likes on 4,830 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

to all the MSD lovers here, IF the system is so great and such why does everyone need to have a back up system. when then parts I use in my limited use cars can't last then I would tend to look at something more reliable. if your driving under 3,500 rpm on the street (and if your not your breaking the law) then a factory set up will work just fine, even if you run one of those widgets
Old 05-03-2017, 09:29 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
to all the MSD lovers here, IF the system is so great and such why does everyone need to have a back up system. when then parts I use in my limited use cars can't last then I would tend to look at something more reliable. if your driving under 3,500 rpm on the street (and if your not your breaking the law) then a factory set up will work just fine, even if you run one of those widgets
Actually I just mimic the actual Trans Am race cars (Boris, Paul, Tracy, Kendall, Holbert, Gregg, etc) on my builds! I purely want to embarrass new 911 Turbos and new Z-06 Corvettes anywhere, doing anything is my goal. And I actually have the whole GM Performance parts hot setup units with dual switch over and even though they are blue, it is all made for GM by MSD. It is just cool, just because you can do it! True!!! Only need one box etc. at a time! But there is some actual real world advantage. Such as being able to immediately eliminate the ignition system as a culprit! Hey I have two electric fuel pumps also!

I do like the MSD product line, the tall towers, HEI caps, the integration with rev limiters, the advance stop bushings and spring kits, and many of their goodies. They actually have a very good advanced product line of goodies! I got into their brand playing initially with NOS stages/shots! To bring in the advance and timing related to Nitrous and kind of stayed with their brand. I also have a bunch of Accel stuff! And I actually still do have some more conventional ignitioned cars (like my 65 Elco, and one 68 C3).

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-03-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Under 3,500 RPM? LOL!!! You are such a prude for a young guy....

I installed a MSD 6AL box 10 years ago and the only downside I have found is that no matter the coil I use they only last about 3-4 years. I'm not sure that with the amount of driving that I do that this would not be considered normal with a coil car of this vintage. I drive a couple thousand miles a year with my 66. I wish I had the time to get the 67 out that much.

For me the benefit of the rev limiter (6k pill in it currently) was a positive for me and the hotter spark works great. For what it's worth my car is a rocket. I think that the 6AL is just a part of the complete system.

I run an Unilite mechanical advance that the initial is set at 18* and all in with 36* @ 3k RPM. I have had no detonation issues that I can tell and when I have hooked up my dual band O2 sensors I do not see any issues with the motor going lean.

Everyone has there own level of hot rodding that they are comfortable with. Most of the answers I see posted previously are from those that are not hot rodders. Not that there is a problem with that. It's just being very conservative. You have to decide how fast you want to go and how much $$$ you want to spend.

Do you need a MSD 6AL box if you have a stock 300 hp car.. No... If you have a hot motor you should do your research and decide on the performance level you are trying to achieve. There is a reason the High Horse Power Big Block cars had Transistorized ignition...

HITCH
Old 05-03-2017, 09:56 PM
Steve Stone
Racer

Received 838 Likes on 168 Posts

I am the original owner of my’63 triple black convertible, 549,000 miles.

I can only speak to this from my perspective. Three days after I received my brand new Vette the ballast resister failed and fried my points. I ran points for many, many years until I had a Pertronix ignitor installed. I also carried in the car another ignitor in the event of failure. I do not enjoy breakdowns, but they are going to happen. I do carry many spare parts on board at all times. They include items such as water pump (replaced a failed one 60 miles from civilization in Missouri), fuel pump, belts, hoses, alternator, clutch pedal cross shaft (replaced a failed one 3 shifts upon returning to home from a 5,400 mile trip), haft shaft, just to name a few. The MSD system will fail so having another (installed) will get us back on the road in moments, not hours or days. I have not had the need to use any of the spare parts other than as noted. Then again I have not ever used my very small original size tire since I have never had a flat or blowout. I still have it in the tub at all times, and I always have a plug in air compressor in the Vette.

The way we approach our travels (with our spare items) gives us the comfort level that trips should have, being able to get back on the road and enjoy the ride.

When an unexpected issue has occurred we have been able to get back on the road after losing a day or less.

For photos & stories please google: Steve Stone 1963 Corvette

Thanks for the interest and safe driving to all.

Steve
Old 05-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Just curious. Do you points guys carry a spare set in your cars? I always did when used them. A set of points and a condenser. Just in case and I needed to use both. I use MSD now.

Tom

Last edited by Sky65; 05-03-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:39 PM
fredski
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Msd

MSD Make very good products . My other vehicle I have used 7AL box,with their distruberter and plug wires. These units will let you set rpm for your burn outs ,set rpm for trans brake, set your rev limiter ,reduce timing for nitrous when engaged. System has run flawlessly for years.
Most c2 guys are fine with point distributors I will agree to that.

FRedski
Old 05-03-2017, 11:00 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

The original question in the thread was whether or not MSD ignition is really necessary. Of course, the answer is no. In my experience standard ignition is reliable and repairable if you have a spare coil and condenser and rarely a set of points as points can usually be cleaned up and reset on the side of the road.

HOWEVER, in a high performance application...MSD ignition will give you competitive options, rev limit adjustments and high rpm advantages resulting in SLIGHTLY quicker times on the 1/4 mile or road course tracks and that's not debatable. For most of us, points will do the job and be dependable. On my recent resto I went with a standard Pertronics set up and keep a spare in the car.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:11 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Meck points are Fine... Reliable and easy to carry a spare... Work great for those of you who use them... No Issue their. The MSD al and new digital 6al only give you improvement up to...(what I have learned) to about 3 K RPM....

But I have never lost a Box in Umpteen years. My ride has their Pro billet
Distb. (Less Vacuum Advance) and the MSD EFI. Flawless Performance.

If they are that bad..Why does NASCAR and Most all Pro Drag Racers use their Products?... Including their Ignition Box.

Their are Benny's associated with using their stuff. I've always used them . When Properly paced and wired correctly and supplied the correct Cranking voltage and run Voltage they work fine.

Their all over her racing world. Plus..there a ton of Mfg's also making their own version.

Chocklet & Vanilla we all have are own taste's. Points are very reliable. But with the Tech today. MSD to me is just fine.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:16 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
To answer your question, NO, you DO NOT need an MSD of any kind on your car. They offer no measurable performance gain driving down the road. Personally, I stick to stock points ignition systems on cars that were born with them. Never been towed due to an ignition problem in any of them.

My old cars have never left me stranded due to ignition problems, however my Cadillac was no stranger to the rollback due to electronic problems.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Is MSD Really Necessary

Old 05-04-2017, 12:38 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

The vast majority of MSD and coil failures are due to improper installation.

If you don't understand what you're doing then stick with granny's olde fashionede points and take your Corvette slowly back and forth to the "grocery store" to buy butter and eggs. Under 3500 RPM, you old coots.

If you have a hot runner, and enjoy embarrassing modern Corvette drivers, then roll the dice that the OLDE FASHIONEDE POINTS don't embarrass YOU.

Anyways,,,,,,,,,,why,,,,,,,,,,fer THAT matter, who needs them thar new fangled hydraulic brakes. The olde fashionede handle with the block and leatherre brake shoe worked just fine.

SIMPLE BUT EFFECTIVE.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 05-04-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:09 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Actually, I could be wrong but MSD does't give you anything at high rpm's vs points. The low rpm's is where you get the multiple sparks. As the rpm's increase it can't continue giving the multiple level.

I like mine because I set the timing once and never touch it again. With the sh**y gas available today it keeps the plugs clean when just driving around.

Yes I was a pilot for 45 years so when I wired my dual MSD's, you can actually run twin plugs from one MSD, I put the switch in to allow me to turn one set off, like an aircraft Mag check.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:02 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Because a combustion chamber is operating on varying conditions (engine speed, piston speed, timing, air into the engine vice fuel, etc) you will have pockets of lean and rich mixture and you hope to ignite it with a single spark! So you are trying to improve your chance of giving it more of a chance to ignite your mixture regardless of the rpm! The quality of the coil and the current to the coil primary is crucial when the current is switched on or off (points open or closed or current high or low or off from a CD ignition vice an induction type ignition!

So I don't have to type a book, I found about the best quick search long. Session explanation on Gofastforless.com under "How ignition systems work! Probably better and shorter versions, but I am going to watch some TV tonight instead of researching for the most CF friendly explanation in the history of the internet!

But some of you guys that try to keep both induction ignitions and add CD ignitions to still using points are the ones not liking this technology! I like Mag pickups and crank triggering and stuff! I am not a fan of a single fire spark through the whole range of what might be happening especially in a mechanical environment set off by a single mechanical switch device known as a set of points! The dual points and twin plug ignitions hit the CC with a second chance!

PS you can't run an MSD Type ignition with a dual point unless they have worked something out! I thought would throw that in, and now will continue!

My suggestion, don't run any CD transistorized ignition through points! Use a non-mechanical way to transfer the spark energy. It honestly can't be good for a hot coil to not be able to send its full capability thru to the wires and ultimately the plugs through initially a physical mating point of point contact initiating the coil charge! Probably why many people are burning up coils, the full energy is not transferring from cap lead through rotor to plugs! I am going to read up and figure out why people think they fail (coils)!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-05-2017 at 04:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sky65 (05-06-2017)

Quick Reply: Is MSD Really Necessary