C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to replace front sway bar links on a 66

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 12:32 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default How to replace front sway bar links on a 66

Hi, that is my question. I want to replace the bushings and links on my car. Just want to make sure I do it without hurting myself...

Any tips , how to jack car etc....

Thanks

Jack

Dub.....tell me how....
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jackfit; 05-14-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Jack, If my memory is clear, you can't suspend the tire/wheel assembly because that loads the bar. You might need an extra pair of hand to coordinate the end link install. Dennis
Old 05-14-2017, 12:49 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Jack, If my memory is clear, you can't suspend the tire/wheel assembly because that loads the bar. You might need an extra pair of hand to coordinate the end link install. Dennis
I can't find a video on the install...step be step procedure would help me if you know it....or someone more qualified.....lol.....

Jack
Old 05-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

First get all that extra weight in your picture out of the car

Raise the car with two jack stands at the front frame lift points, and, raise the wheels under each lower control arm... More jack stands or bottle jacks...

I've done the job on plenty of other cars and its not dangerous or tricky. Here is the '67 procedure - your car should be the same I would think.

What you DO want to do is get really good rubber pieces, Corvette Rubber comes to mind if they sell the suspension bits (I don't know if they do). Some of the other repro products require some trimming in some cases..
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-14-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:23 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
First get all that extra weight in your picture out of the car

Raise the car with two jack stands at the front frame lift points, and, raise the wheels under each lower control arm... More jack stands or bottle jacks...

I've done the job on plenty of other cars and its not dangerous or tricky. Here is the '67 procedure - your car should be the same I would think.

What you DO want to do is get really good rubber pieces, Corvette Rubber comes to mind if they sell the suspension bits (I don't know if they do). Some of the other repro products require some trimming in some cases..
Hi Frank,

Thanks,,,,,the book (Chilton from 47 years ago) had said jack up car, but left out the support the wheels....I have many jacks and stands....should be easy..I will do a post on the upgrades to the clutch rods , shocks and front end maintenance . 70,000 mile since I visited you...2010

I should be good for a few more miles.....

Jack

ps I am trying to title all my posts the correct way so that others may find them in searches.....

Last edited by Jackfit; 05-14-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

2010 since you were here ?
Gads....I can't even think about how fast that's gone...
Anyway. If you get on a roll the whole sway bar refurbishment is an hour job...the manual cites torque specs on the bolts which I will dig up if you need them. I just snug them up like I do shock absorbers (sort of)..
Old 05-14-2017, 03:46 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Jack:

The Chevrolet Service Manual generally has the right advice. However, a "trick" or critical step that is missing is:

You will need extra long bolts initially to attach the bar center link rubber bushings since they will appear to be too big/large. After everything is tightened up on the bar, remove these extra long bolts one at a time and install the correct/original length bolts.

Another way I have done this job is to use a floor jack and block of wood to compress each of the center rubber bushings (one at a time) and then just install the original length retaining bolts.

Unless you use one of these two above methods (or perhaps both methods), you will still be trying to finish this job in June.

As always, I enjoy the pic of your car and riders.

Larry
Old 05-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Sorry no car picture

Name:  Iphone all 144.JPG
Views: 919
Size:  129.9 KB
Originally Posted by Powershift
Jack:

The Chevrolet Service Manual generally has the right advice. However, a "trick" or critical step that is missing is:

You will need extra long bolts initially to attach the bar center link rubber bushings since they will appear to be too big/large. After everything is tightened up on the bar, remove these extra long bolts one at a time and install the correct/original length bolts.

Another way I have done this job is to use a floor jack and block of wood to compress each of the center rubber bushings (one at a time) and then just install the original length retaining bolts.

Unless you use one of these two above methods (or perhaps both methods), you will still be trying to finish this job in June.

As always, I enjoy the pic of your car and riders.

Larry
Hi Larry, thanks for the advice . I was wondering about that...

enjoy I am sorry , no car in picture as I was on the beach in Nice , France

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 05-14-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Just did mine on the 65. Drive front of car onto ramps. You want the suspension in a loaded state so the angles of the mount brackets are parallel. The sway bar will not have any tension on it. Replace links. If the links are too tight to get the nuts on use a floor jack to push up on the bolt heads to get s little more thread.

Tom
Old 05-15-2017, 10:07 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sky65
Just did mine on the 65. Drive front of car onto ramps. You want the suspension in a loaded state so the angles of the mount brackets are parallel. The sway bar will not have any tension on it. Replace links. If the links are too tight to get the nuts on use a floor jack to push up on the bolt heads to get s little more thread.

Tom
I was going to use jacks, but I like the ramps . I lost mine in one of my many moves.....will stop off at Harbor Freight today and pick up a set.

I will do the job tonight .......I think....

Jack
Old 05-15-2017, 11:06 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
I was going to use jacks, but I like the ramps . I lost mine in one of my many moves.....will stop off at Harbor Freight today and pick up a set.

I will do the job tonight .......I think....

Jack
Jack:

I found over the years that it is best (for me) to support the front of my car on jack stands PLACED UNDER THE LOWER A-ARM COIL SPRING POCKETS and not the frame. This loads the front suspension instead of having it hanging.

But the ramps are also a good approach for this job...........it was a great suggestion. But it can be done successfully without the ramps as I and others have described.

Good luck.............just remember longer temporary bolts and maybe a bit of help from the floor jack and wood block on those rubber center bar to frame pieces/supports.

Larry
Old 05-16-2017, 09:28 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Job completed on Sway bar and links

I found that using ramps worked best for me. No load on sway bar made for easy removal. I used a small jack with a socket extension and 1/2 " socket to push bolt/bracket , rubber bushing, against frame to bolt bracket. As you can see from the pictures, the rubber bushings are showing wear after 70,000 miles.

I bought a set of Rhino ramps....$39 at Walmart....$60 to $90 from online vendors . Light weight 3 lbs. total and they stack and stand up for storage. I use to have steel ramps....heavy and hard to move and store.
Attached Images       

Last edited by Jackfit; 05-16-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Your hired jack! Dennis
Old 05-16-2017, 05:43 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default It was easy

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Your hired jack! Dennis
Hi Dennis, looking at the photos , my undercarriage isn't the prettiest, but it works pretty well. Have fun this summer and maybe I will see you in Pittsburgh for the Vintage Grand Prix

Jack

The cannon was made for my son on his Birthday last month!
Attached Files

Last edited by Jackfit; 05-16-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:12 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Yeah - those old ones were pretty shot. You might even be able to feel the difference with the new bushings. Good job.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:01 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Yeah - those old ones were pretty shot. You might even be able to feel the difference with the new bushings. Good job.
Hi, when ever we do upgrades, it is always subjective as "it made a difference that you can objectively feel..."..but I feel good about it . The bushings were not old 7years, but they had 70,000 miles on them.

Jack
Old 05-16-2017, 08:59 PM
Yellow6t7
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Hi, when ever we do upgrades, it is always subjective as "it made a difference that you can objectively feel..."..but I feel good about it . The bushings were not old 7years, but they had 70,000 miles on them.

Jack
Jack from the pictures it looks like you installed the stabilizer link bolts backwards. Bolts go up from the bottom with nut on top.

Get notified of new replies

To How to replace front sway bar links on a 66

Old 05-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Yellow6t7
Jack from the pictures it looks like you installed the stabilizer link bolts backwards. Bolts go up from the bottom with nut on top.
I think you are right. I installed them the way I took them off. As you can see from pictures. I did not install them 7 years ago. Does it really matter?.....was it done so the bolt treads would not get dinged by rocks etc ?

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 05-16-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:02 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Hmmm - without looking at the AIM I can't be sure. But typically when possible, a bolt is installed with the nut on the bottom to minimize moisture and road chemicals from sitting in the slight pocket of the juncture of the nut and bolt if the bolt is on top and seeping into the threaded area promoting rust. But possibly GM went the other way on that one.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:28 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Yellow6t7
Correct. Guess I wasted my time posting the Shop Manual procedure with pictures early in the thread
(* SIGH *)

Quick Reply: How to replace front sway bar links on a 66