C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] fiberglass repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Well, heck, Dub, if you want to get fancy, I put 8-32 and 10-32 RivNuts in ALL the door panel and rocker sill plate holes AND the access panel holes on the inside of my doors, AND used RivNuts to put a large portion of my hardtop back together.

But, I had a RivNut tool laying around already, and the RivNuts them selves, are cheap.

I used Nutserts on the rear cove fender trim clips on the fenders where the originals were screwed into the fiberglass.

I am not particularity concerned with originality, though.

Doug
I do agree with you. I am NOT 'married' to having to do it like GM did all the time. Sometimes new ways are better and should be used if it is what a person wants to do. Not EVERY Corvette is going to be judged to death on every little stinking thing...and if a person Corvette falls into that category. Open your mind up and make improvements.

I do use the rivnuts...but sometimes they are not my favorite choice due to the amount of pressure it takes to compress them and can cause for stress on the fiberglass due to it is not flat on the back side like where GM uses them on the SMC panels of a Corvette. Rivnuts ARE one of my favorite fastener systems when I need a threaded area in metal.

Originally Posted by reno stallion
Thanks to all good info not sure which way I go yet. Depends on where the hole is I guess
YES...that is why if you post photos it can help us help you unless you ahve it figured out and do whatever you feel is good for you.

DUB
Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Rivnuts are a great helper, BUT plastic wall anchors work just as good in fiberglass and won't turn when tightening the screw. I used two of them on my 62 door panel screws because of wallowed out fiberglass in the doors.

Quick Reply: [C1] fiberglass repair