C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:46 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Default What to do

OK, here is the hypothetical situation (prompted by me actually looking at a car like this).

Suppose one of us is considering the purchase of a 64 convertible.

The car is a 250hp, automatic, AM radio, and no other option car. The original color paint (one repaint) is decent looking from 5 feet away.

Not exceptionally desirable, but you get the idea.

So, the plan is to turn this car into a decent performing (up the horsepower) automatic trans car with P/S, P/B, and A/C. All add on stuff, with no real consideration of originality.

The justification is that if 1) the car is not a matching number correct original engine car, or 2) the car has taken some hits in it's past and the repair work is evident (by looking underneath).

The problem is that 1) the car is a correct matching number, correct engine car, and 2) the body is a no hit body, and 3) there is no rust to speak of.

So we have an extremely original car, with a no hit body, and no real "originality" issues.

How do you bring yourself to modify a nice original car like this?

so, do you:

1. Say it's my car,I'll do what I want, and then modify it as you please (heck, it's not like I am destroying a "valuable" original car).

OR

2. Sell it and find a car more appropriate to the modifications you want to make.

Inquiring minds....
Old 05-18-2017, 06:50 AM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Eye of the beholder I guess. Some guys wouldn't, I maybe would.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:59 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

2 gets my vote. I'm not a fan of hacking up original cars. IMO to sell it and find a more appropriate candidate to mod makes more sense.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:01 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

A lot of the stuff you are talking about can be bolted on with no permanent damage to the car. Save the old parts and let the next owner decide if they want to bring it back to original.

Gerry
The following users liked this post:
ragedout (05-29-2021)
Old 05-18-2017, 07:05 AM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

That's what I was thinking. Nothing permanent
Old 05-18-2017, 07:13 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Sell it, as long as you can make some money, and buy another one that's not original.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:20 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

A no hit body makes it a rare bird and price of admission, OE is icing on the cake. Do nothing to diminish its intrinsic value....unless you hate corvettes.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:43 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mossy66
A lot of the stuff you are talking about can be bolted on with no permanent damage to the car. Save the old parts and let the next owner decide if they want to bring it back to original.

Gerry
This is where I am leaning as well.

Remove the engine and trans and store them, put in a crate 350 and TH350, and P/S. P/B and A/C. No permanent modifications.

The original colors (Silver Blue w/ dark blue interior) are not hideous, and the paint looks good enough to leave it this way. Interior could use a bit of help.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:04 AM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

there is a lot of thing not answered.

1- If you own the car. then you know its history that is a better starting point then buying something you don't know.

2- Is it about money at the end or fun. if its money I guess stock. If your keeping it to have fun make it for that.

3- I would think if left stock you would not drive it as much as if you
were to upgrade it.

4- If you keep the body stock and the interior stock and did all the changes you listed keep in mind putting disc breaks and a split master cylinder in for safety. If you were to sell it you would get a bigger buying group.

It is hard for me not to say change it. There is nothing left untouched on my 65 but the doors and the interior but I just love the look of a C2 inside. To me it looks custom. What ever you do you want to do it for you not anybody else. I never plan on selling mine so I'm good with all I did.

Last edited by FINWOLF; 05-18-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Its the age old question...some stop at adding radial tires and halogen headlights, of course then they consider LED tail lights a better sound system, etc.. Its a slippery slope.

Others assuage themselves that the mods they are doing are reversible....mostly BS. I guarantee you that there are almost NO cars whose owners have installed Vintage Air air conditioning that have taken them back to original. But if it makes the owners feel better so be it. Now, having said that, I've had my Detroit Speed headlight conversion in and out twice, swapping in the original motors/wiring...

Then there is the whole fender flare, plexiglass headlight covers, 6 tail light crowd.

NOBODY on here can tell you what you will eventually wind up doing..

My SWC took a 93% regional Second Flight award after I put everything back to original except the aftermarket A/C. THEN, I put all the mods back on the car so it was a pleasurable driver and never looked back.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 AM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

This is my matching number 67 coupe, L-79, all original drivetrain, no hit car originally delivered to Harry Mann Chevy in LA. I converted it to an L-88 tribute with a 427 aluminum ZL-1 engine, all the correct L-88 parts AND a real 36 gallon tank. I retained ALL the original parts and the car can be converted back to original within a few days. I enjoyed the car with the L-79 and I now enjoy it as the L-88 tribute................. when I can. Life is short.......................and getting shorter each day. Enjoy and make every day count.

Rex

Last edited by Dr L-88; 05-18-2017 at 10:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RJ1 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:28 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Sounds to me like a good car to start with. There's a lot of junk out there. It's a lot more fun to be able to drive a car, have fun with it and make changes as you go. Better than years long projects.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:03 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04
OK, here is the hypothetical situation (prompted by me actually looking at a car like this).

The car is a 250hp, automatic, AM radio, and no other option car. The original color paint (one repaint) is decent looking from 5 feet away.

So, the plan is to turn this car into a decent performing (up the horsepower) automatic trans car with P/S, P/B, and A/C. All add on stuff, with no real consideration of originality.

The justification is that if 1) the car is not a matching number correct original engine car, or 2) the car has taken some hits in it's past and the repair work is evident (by looking underneath).

The problem is that 1) the car is a correct matching number, correct engine car, and 2) the body is a no hit body, and 3) there is no rust to speak of.

So we have an extremely original car, with a no hit body, and no real "originality" issues.

so, do you:

1. Say it's my car,I'll do what I want, and then modify it as you please (heck, it's not like I am destroying a "valuable" original car).

OR

2. Sell it and find a car more appropriate to the modifications you want to make.

Inquiring minds....
Easy for me! The better the car, the more care in buying worthy non-junk speed parts ""quality stuff""!

And then I will answer for it at the pearly gates!

On my 3rd Corvette, it is a 43K 1968 basically just needing paint and it already has the L88 stuff on it and I am picking out a real heavy flake to my eye friendly purple paint for it!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-18-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:28 PM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Resto Mod

I was hunting for a donor car and did find a numbers matching 64. I just couldn't bring my self to resto mod a car that had the original block. I didn't look for originality in other pieces, so I passed. I did finally find a 64 without an original engine that I would one day resto mod. I have a 65 that has the original block and transmission that wasn't in it when I bought it but came with the car. That one I added a ZZ427, tremec 5 speed, R&P, but is all bolt on stuff that can be brought back to somewhat original as far as numbers. If the 65 had the original motor still in it I don't think I would have done it.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:29 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

so, do you:

OR

Inquiring minds....
Two questions:

1. Are you paying a premium for the no hit original car.
2. I assume that the mods are all "reversible" and minimum to no cutting involved.

If it were me, I'd make the car what I wanted, as long as you didn't pay too much extra for the originality. The whole point of this hobby is to enjoy yourself. Life is too short and getting shorter every day. If your NCRS-itis is getting the better of you, remember that all or most of the less desirable Corvettes (as well as all others), except for those in museums, will be junked/dismantled by our descendants some day.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 05-18-2017 at 01:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 65tripleblack:
Frankie the Fink (05-18-2017), new vette 62 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 01:43 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

This is where I am leaning as well.

Remove the engine and trans and store them, put in a crate 350 and TH350, and P/S. P/B and A/C. No permanent modifications.

The original colors (Silver Blue w/ dark blue interior) are not hideous, and the paint looks good enough to leave it this way. Interior could use a bit of help.
So, you putting the '56 Bel Air on hold?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:06 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Don't do a thing to it. If you are concerned about ruining an original car that someone would lust after advertise it for sale and see how sought after it is. If someone is in love with it enough to make you an offer you can live with and allow you to find a car you have no problem modifying then everyone is happy. If there are no decent offers then to me that indicates it is not that big of a deal to people and carry on with your plan. Sure there are people that have already responded telling you "don't do it" but are they willing to buy it?

Get notified of new replies

To What to do

Old 05-18-2017, 03:28 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Two questions:

1. Are you paying a premium for the no hit original car.
2. I assume that the mods are all "reversible" and minimum to no cutting involved.

If it were me, I'd make the car what I wanted, as long as you didn't pay too much extra for the originality. The whole point of this hobby is to enjoy yourself. Life is too short and getting shorter every day. If your NCRS-itis is getting the better of you, remember that all or most of the less desirable Corvettes (as well as all others), except for those in museums, will be junked/dismantled by our descendants some day.
No premium for a no-hit body.
No mods that involve cutting the body would be made.

One other factor ... I cannot signifcantly decrease the value of the car. No telling how long I will have it.

Last edited by emccomas; 05-18-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:29 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
So, you putting the '56 Bel Air on hold?
No, the Bel Air effort continues full speed ahead.

My restorer has relocated his shop to Evansville, IN, and is now back up and running.

The "hope" is that the car is done in time for my daughter's wedding on 9/22/17.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:43 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
2 gets my vote. I'm not a fan of hacking up original cars. IMO to sell it and find a more appropriate candidate to mod makes more sense.
I'm in this camp. Who am I to violate a piece of history that has survived for the past 53 years unmolested? With any luck, it will still have all of its integrity when I'm long gone, and be preserved for future generations. Ever try to track down an unmodified '40 Ford coupe?

Quick Reply: What to do