C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sealant for R12 systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Renwaltoys
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Sealant for R12 systems

Have a slow a/c leak where I must top off system with a pound or two of R12 every two years or so. Has anyone out there had any positive experiences with the sealants that are added to the system that you see advertised? Thanks for your input, Duke
Old 07-03-2017, 03:10 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

have you tried to find the leak? stop leak certainly will have mixed results. maybe if you know it's the evaporator it's worth a try, otherwise no.

Last edited by hope2; 07-03-2017 at 03:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Renwaltoys (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Renwaltoys
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hope2
have you tried to find the leak? stop leak certainly will have mixed results. maybe if you know it's the evaporator it's worth a try, otherwise no.
Thanks for your reply. While I have an excellent mechanic who maintains are car he doesn't do a/c. I don't have anyone in the area that I know of that still does R12 that I would feel comfortable with so if necessary I will just top it off every couple of years. Thanks again for time, Duke
Old 07-03-2017, 10:39 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

I feel your pain. It's hard to find anyone in my area that knows old AC systems. I've had to learn it on the fly and with a lot of help from folks on this forum. With that said, most AC shops should be able to find the source of the leak. I've personally used freon sniffers and now use UV dye in my oil instead.

If you are uncomfortable taking it to an AC shop, I'd suggest the next time you add R12 you add some UV dye.

Good luck.

Ed
Renwaltoys (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Renwaltoys
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by emdoller
I feel your pain. It's hard to find anyone in my area that knows old AC systems. I've had to learn it on the fly and with a lot of help from folks on this forum. With that said, most AC shops should be able to find the source of the leak. I've personally used freon sniffers and now use UV dye in my oil instead.

If you are uncomfortable taking it to an AC shop, I'd suggest the next time you add R12 you add some UV dye.

Good luck.

Ed
Thank you very much Ed.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:40 AM
cblankin
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you are leaking R12 you are probably leaking the oil that is in the a/c system. If it is leaking out the compressor chances are it is being slung out and being deposited on the backside of the hood. It will leak thru the hood and cause the paint to bubble. It is probably time to convert to R134. R12 is nearly impossible to find and very expensive when you do.
Renwaltoys (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 10:47 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

I certainly don't want to start a 134a vs R12 debate but you can find loads of r12 on Craigslist and eBay. I pay $20-25 per can and feel it's worth the extra to keep it original.

Agree you should check your hood. If you ever do want to have your compressor rebuilt, search for Dom on this website. He's done great work for many of us.

Ed
Renwaltoys (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Milliamp
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default R12

Have you seen any sign of wetness (i.e. oil that has leaked from your system) If you find this you have found your leak. What you do with it now is the big question, If it's the compressor and needs new seals my advice repair it R12 does a great job of cooling ,I think its a lot better then 134 I would not under any reason inject dye into the system. Many will debate that the expansion valve will not be effected, why take a chance.

Tom
I certainly don't want to start a 134a vs R12 debate but you can find loads of r12 on Craigslist and eBay. I pay $20-25 per can and feel it's worth the extra to keep it original.

Agree you should check your hood. If you ever do want to have your compressor rebuilt, search for Dom on this website. He's done great work for many of us.

Ed
Renwaltoys (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:11 PM
Milliamp
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default R12

Have you seen any sign of wetness (i.e. oil that has leaked from your system) If you find this you have found your leak. What you do with it now is the big question, If it's the compressor and needs new seals my advice repair it R12 does a great job of cooling ,I think its a lot better then 134 I would not under any reason inject dye into the system. Many will debate that the expansion valve will not be effected, why take a chance

Ed
Renwaltoys (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:24 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Yes, UV dye is another religious debate. Everything I've read says it's fine.

Ed
Renwaltoys (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Yes, UV dye is another religious debate. Everything I've read says it's fine.

Ed

Ed:

Just purchased a new 2017 Silverado truck. Noticed yesterday that it uses refrigerant R1234yf. R134a is now obsolete for use in many new cars.

Larry

EDIT: I have stated many times that keeping these older AC systems working is a labor of love, and you need to do much of it yourself. So buy a decent refrigerant leak check tool (Inficon TEK-MATE or similar) and get a bottle of SNOOP soap solution and go find the leak. It is not a hard process. You will probably pay equal or more $$$$$$$ to someone to do this job that it costs for the equipment I stated. And you will always have the equipment to use later on as needed..........or to help your friends.

Last edited by Powershift; 07-04-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Renwaltoys (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:36 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Renwaltoys
Thanks for your reply. While I have an excellent mechanic who maintains are car he doesn't do a/c. I don't have anyone in the area that I know of that still does R12 that I would feel comfortable with so if necessary I will just top it off every couple of years. Thanks again for time, Duke
Again I would attempt to find the leak, sometimes it's obvious. AC specialty shop could certainly save your freon, fix the leak, be sure your system is filled with oil, recharge and check. Worth it. Good luck.
Renwaltoys (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:40 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

I've never seen a sealant that works, The loss of a pound every two years is MORE than acceptable...how much $$ do you want to spend to save $15 a year in coolant...

Last edited by karkrafter; 07-04-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Renwaltoys (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:42 PM
Renwaltoys
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Ed
Never any wetness present on the hood. No obvious leaks. Thanks again for your response, Duke
Old 07-04-2017, 12:55 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Powershift

Ed:

Just purchased a new 2017 Silverado truck. Noticed yesterday that it uses refrigerant R1234yf. R134a is now obsolete for use in many new cars.

Larry

EDIT: I have stated many times that keeping these older AC systems working is a labor of love, and you need to do much of it yourself. So buy a decent refrigerant leak check tool (Inficon TEK-MATE or similar) and get a bottle of SNOOP soap solution and go find the leak. It is not a hard process. You will probably pay equal or more $$$$$$$ to someone to do this job that it costs for the equipment I stated. And you will always have the equipment to use later on as needed..........or to help your friends.
FYI: Larry has helped me immensely!! He's my go to expert and has helped me with my Vette and recently with my Camaro. I now feel comfortable handling my AC issues. I also agree that it's a good idea to figure out how to do it yourself.

Ed
Renwaltoys (07-05-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Renwaltoys
Never any wetness present on the hood. No obvious leaks. Thanks again for your response, Duke
Duke:

Check your Schrader valves and make certain they are tight in their fittings. They can leak refrigerant if they get old and tired or are loose in their housings..

Additional leak sources are hose porosity and hose end connections, o-rings, compressor front seal, evaporator core, and condenser core.

Electronic leak detector is best for compressor seal, evaporator, and condenser, and hose porosity. But it can also become overloaded if you have a large leak.........then you need a big fan to sweep the air clean of refrigerant before testing again. SNOOP leak solution is great for all the o-rings and end fittings and also the hoses.

Back in the day, loss of one 12 oz can of refrigerant every 1-2 years was the norm and was considered acceptable.

FWIW.

Larry
Renwaltoys (07-05-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 02:37 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Had a long talk with Powershift last week who I think is expert on the systems among a few others here.
I don't think your leak is from a overcharge condition because your gas is leaking to a under pressure condition.
What I would like to say is that many oil leaks can be caused by the installer such as gas overcharge and oil overcharge.
I haven't found any ceramic bad on compressors sent to me but I think the main culprit could be the main shaft seal which is nothing but a O-ring. The O-rings do not spin on the shaft with a ceramic seal the O-ring only seals the place that gas & oil can leak out of the compressor. A lip seal seals more with pressure but the O-ring is only making contact on the shaft.
So I am thinking that a over charge in gas or oil can cause a leak in some compressors. The unregulated oil pump oils thru the main shaft thru 3 ports. one for the rear bearings, one for the front bearings, and the last is directly in back of the ceramic shaft O-ring.
The higher the RPM the higher the oil pressure. The oil pressure cannot be measured but is not regulated with a by pass system. The pressure in the case along with a oil pump adding to it on that poor O-ring may be able to blow oil past it in a overcharged condition with either gas, oil, or both.
Now even though the book says a little leakage is normal, they installed a oil level plug on the side of the pan. They call it a drain plug which is part right. It is actually a oil level plug that is designed to drain off excess oil without loosing gas pressure. That tells me that to much oil is not what you want and may be causing a leak.
If your compressor is leaking and you suspect either one of the causes it would be a good idea to put a set of gauges on it first before sending a compressor out and checking the oil in the compressor pan which is outlined in the manual.
Just a thought.

Dom
Renwaltoys (07-05-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Sealant for R12 systems

Old 07-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Renwaltoys
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Powershift
Duke:

Check your Schrader valves and make certain they are tight in their fittings. They can leak refrigerant if they get old and tired or are loose in their housings..

Additional leak sources are hose porosity and hose end connections, o-rings, compressor front seal, evaporator core, and condenser core.

Electronic leak detector is best for compressor seal, evaporator, and condenser, and hose porosity. But it can also become overloaded if you have a large leak.........then you need a big fan to sweep the air clean of refrigerant before testing again. SNOOP leak solution is great for all the o-rings and end fittings and also the hoses.Back in the day, loss of one 12 oz can of refrigerant every 1-2 years was the norm and was considered acceptable.

FWIW.

Larry
Larry,
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. Last year I bought a 30lb R-12 which we used for the first time yesterday. While I would like to conserve it as much as possible if figure at my current rate of loss it should take me out till I am almost ninety. By then who knows?
If I would have gotten more positive feedback on the current stop leaks I might have tried them but as one of the other members said you have to weigh the cost of finding the slow leak to the price of adding a pound or two of R-12 every couple of years. Again sincere thanks for your concern and if you don't mind I will keep your name on file for future refererence. God bless and a Happy Fourth to you and yours! Duke
Old 07-05-2017, 08:17 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Find and fix the leak. Most likely a compressor front seal. The stop leak softens seals and lets them work for a while, but the softening actually degrades them and breaks them down. (think over-marinated meat). A properly repaired and charged system will last you many years. The UV dye used in leak detection causes zero issues.
Renwaltoys (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 08:23 PM
Renwaltoys
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Find and fix the leak. Most likely a compressor front seal. The stop leak softens seals and lets them work for a while, but the softening actually degrades them and breaks them down. (think over-marinated meat). A properly repaired and charged system will last you many years. The UV dye used in leak detection causes zero issues.
Thank you so much for your useful comments, Duke

Quick Reply: Sealant for R12 systems