C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dart sbc 427 and AFR heads...Is there anything in a Gen 1 that's more desirable??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 04:48 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GearheadJoe
Hi Jim:

Are you sure that the cam is raised .800", or is that a typo? If the cam is really raised that much, how can you use a stock timing cover?

When I looked at raised-cam blocks some time back, there appeared to be two available options. World Products has blocks with the cam raised 0.134”, and they advertise these as accepting a stock timing cover. On closer study, though, it appeared that to use a stock timing cover you had to use an expensive Jessel belt drive for the cam.

Dart has some blocks with the cam raised 0.391", but I don’t think they advertise that these blocks can accept a stock timing cover.
Good catch Joe. I had that .800 number in my head from the spread pan rails being widened .800. You are correct, the cam is raised .391 on the iron eagle tall deck. And it will work with a stock timing cover. I reused my timing cover from my 450 build.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:24 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

That car is gorgeous, do the 427!!! You have to what a combo
Talk to Jim about the rest one thing youll never catch him doing is not telling the truth. Hes a good seed.

The fact yours is so stock looking its almost hilarious with that much torque it just wouldnt look natural seeing something like yours accelerate that hard. Love it..of course it would be safe, youve had BBC before.
Actually that could sound offensive, sorry
Old 07-24-2017, 03:04 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
That car is gorgeous, do the 427!!! You have to what a combo
Talk to Jim about the rest one thing youll never catch him doing is not telling the truth. Hes a good seed.

The fact yours is so stock looking its almost hilarious with that much torque it just wouldnt look natural seeing something like yours accelerate that hard. Love it..of course it would be safe, youve had BBC before.
Actually that could sound offensive, sorry
No offence here..in fact just the opposite. Thanks for the kind words...
I'm not worried about the power with me behind the wheel...just don't want to get my kids hurt.
I worry about slinging off one of my acid dipped, polished hubcaps more than anything else when I'm driving.
May have to have a set of those Evod "hub cap appearing" polished cnc aluminum wheels to prevent that ..lol.
...Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-24-2017 at 05:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Dart sbc 427 and AFR heads...Is there anything in a Gen 1 that's more desirable??