C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

paint formula

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Dennis 613
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default paint formula

1964 Corvette Coupe satin silver metallic #940 on trim tag I'm trying to get the correct paint formulation.
Thanks Dennis
Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis 613
1964 Corvette Coupe satin silver metallic #940 on trim tag I'm trying to get the correct paint formulation.
Thanks Dennis
Here you go Dennis. Cheers, Bill
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 12:16 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Don't expect a match though using todays paints
Old 07-19-2017, 12:17 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Originally Posted by NightshiftHD
Here you go Dennis. Cheers, Bill
That's just different manufactures codes for the paint, not the formula for mixing
Old 07-19-2017, 01:43 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Don't expect a match though using todays paints
I agree. You need to go around to all the paint suppliers and get a qt of paint mixed up for the brand/formula they sell. Then spray them all on a test panel side by each and compare. Thats what I'm in the middle of doing now for 65-66 Nassau Blue. Bill
Old 07-19-2017, 02:59 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

it is interesting/perplexing how many different tint combinations are used by various suppliers to arrive at the same 'color'...

Bill
Old 07-19-2017, 06:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have to disagree with the comment that todays paints make it harder to achieve the correct color. Honestly it all depends on how much time someone wants to put into getting the color to what they feel is correct.

I have to tint and match old colors and not repaint the entire car and I can have so much time getting the color just right...I could have prepped the car and painted it all-over in that amount of time...so...it can be done if someone has the eye for color and knows how to tint paint and know how to change the color of the metallic paint by.... as many people do not know about....adjusting the gun differently and thinning it differently along with other actions CAN change the color and either lighten it or darken it.

Originally Posted by wmf62
it is interesting/perplexing how many different tint combinations are used by various suppliers to arrive at the same 'color'...

Bill
and what is even more perplexing is that IF you had a color chart for that color...they will say on that color chart that the color on the chop IS NOT to be used as a reference for a color match.

DUB
Old 07-19-2017, 09:54 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by DUB
I have to disagree with the comment that todays paints make it harder to achieve the correct color. Honestly it all depends on how much time someone wants to put into getting the color to what they feel is correct.

I have to tint and match old colors and not repaint the entire car and I can have so much time getting the color just right...I could have prepped the car and painted it all-over in that amount of time...so...it can be done if someone has the eye for color and knows how to tint paint and know how to change the color of the metallic paint by.... as many people do not know about....adjusting the gun differently and thinning it differently along with other actions CAN change the color and either lighten it or darken it.

and what is even more perplexing is that IF you had a color chart for that color...they will say on that color chart that the color on the chop IS NOT to be used as a reference for a color match.

DUB
add to that the various 'shades' to the same 'color'; supposedly to match factory paint batch variations...

Bill
Old 07-19-2017, 10:47 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Bill
It's a matter of first matching the tints to the old tints, not by messing with the amount of each tint to come up with the correct color. It takes a super lot of experimentation and having a good set of chips from the old tints.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:06 AM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Silver is one of the most difficult to match. I've been through this repeatedly.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:23 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

too bad there isn't a sticky where brand formula's that represent color match successes are listed.

of course with a warning, warning, warmning!!!!!!!!!
Given the endless variation which affect color..................

Corvette minutia of all sort is beaten to death, but paint, a major component, not so much.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:20 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Dennis,

You're probably not going to get a "formula" on this, or any forum group. You need to go to an automotive paint store, that sells the major suppliers, ie: Dupont, PPG, etc. They have the formulas. They can also adjust them to meet your needs. I've been painting for right at 50 years, and I'm not sure what I would do with a "formula" if I had it.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:31 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Originally Posted by mike coletta
Dennis,

You're probably not going to get a "formula" on this, or any forum group. You need to go to an automotive paint store, that sells the major suppliers, ie: Dupont, PPG, etc. They have the formulas. They can also adjust them to meet your needs. I've been painting for right at 50 years, and I'm not sure what I would do with a "formula" if I had it.
Formula gives the amount of tint need to add to the base. Not real hard. Old time flaps did this everyday for customers.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:23 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Even today auto manufacturers use paint in lot numbers because there are often variations between batches of paint from the same source. They never use 2 different lot number batches on the same car.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:20 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Formula gives the amount of tint need to add to the base. Not real hard. Old time flaps did this everyday for customers.
So, you must have missed the part about 50 years of painting. I sorta know how it works. The OP asked for a formula, and I told him that that he should go to a paint supplier. I also told him that he probably wouldn't get it here. Tints and base for all brands are different. Tints and base have changed over the years, and many of the "formulas" have been reworked. It is "real hard" if you don't have the data. Having an "old time" formula is not going to help him, and having a formula for Dupont Chroma isn't going to help him, unless he has a Dupont mixing station, and intends to put that type of paint on his car. He needs to go to a paint supplier that has the capability to mix whatever he intends to spray. There is no "one size fits all". You don't just walk into a body shop, and say, "here is the formula for what I want, paint my car"
Old 07-21-2017, 07:05 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by mike coletta
So, you must have missed the part about 50 years of painting. I sorta know how it works. The OP asked for a formula, and I told him that that he should go to a paint supplier. I also told him that he probably wouldn't get it here. Tints and base for all brands are different. Tints and base have changed over the years, and many of the "formulas" have been reworked. It is "real hard" if you don't have the data. Having an "old time" formula is not going to help him, and having a formula for Dupont Chroma isn't going to help him, unless he has a Dupont mixing station, and intends to put that type of paint on his car. He needs to go to a paint supplier that has the capability to mix whatever he intends to spray. There is no "one size fits all". You don't just walk into a body shop, and say, "here is the formula for what I want, paint my car"
been there, done that....

Bill
Old 07-21-2017, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

been there, done that....

Bill
BOY have I been there and DONE that.

And I am sure that both of you ( Mike C and Bill) will agree...that a person can get a hold of the current paint decks and look through them and find a color so close to what they want that they can take that color and 'tweak' it a little bit. That is what I do when I know I have not dedicated formula for a specific color.

And what I also have found out is that so many people are color blind to some degree and they can not even see the color difference in their new 2017 Corvette where the bumper covers do not perfectly match the rest of the car due to they are sprayed on a separate paint line.

DUB
Old 07-21-2017, 08:23 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

[QUOTE=DUB;1595193498
And what I also have found out is that so many people are color blind to some degree and they can not even see the color difference in their new 2017 Corvette where the bumper covers do not perfectly match the rest of the car due to they are sprayed on a separate paint line.

DUB[/QUOTE]

that's not just a corvette problem, seems like every mfr has that problem....

Bill
Old 07-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

I retired from Sherwin Williams Automotive Finishes Corp. 10 years ago after 30 years service in the QC and Tech Service labs. Color matching was one of my responsibilities. I "rescued from the trash barrel" the paint formulas on microfiche so I'm sure I have it, but I don't have the microfiche viewer. Even IFFFFFF I did and could view the formula, I can almost guarantee the mixing colors required are no longer available, having been replaced with newer "high performance / high tech" toners. This in turn results in THAT particular formulation being unusable as it will not match your color. I suggest you find a shop that offers "computerized color matching". They will need a panel from your car to evaluate using their computer and they should be able to provide you with a fairly good match. As others have already said, there are many variables that affect color match (air pressure, temperature, humidity, equipment, viewing light source, and certainly the painter's technique). Good luck with your search.

Rex

Get notified of new replies

To paint formula

Quick Reply: paint formula