C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

starter

Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 AM
fiberglass59
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter

1959 engine gets hot, starter won't engage, nothing happens until engine cools a bit, anyone had this issue?

Last edited by fiberglass59; 07-21-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:10 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

I have never had that happen with my 63 or 67 car but I feel certain it's a voltage problem. You can try to bypass the solenoid wiring to see if the starter will run but be very careful doing this.

It could also be a starter/solenoid mechanical problem so you can't rule that out but my $$$ is on the wiring.

FWIW, I have a John deere riding tractor that does the same thing and it's been doing it for years. The wiring goes through two or three safety switches before reaching the solenoid and the resistance in these switches and wiring because it's a few years old causes the same click-click click-click, sometimes it starts and sometimes not.

You and others can fix this issue very easily with a small relay that's available at the local auto parts store. The wire from the ignition switch goes to power the relay, the relay is wired with full 12volts and when the relay makes the full 12v goes to the solenoid. Four wires and your done, the little relay is just larger than 1 inch square. I installed one on my tractor and no more problems..
Old 07-21-2017, 07:25 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Had this exact thing happen to me the winding in starter motor .Needs rebuilding .
Get one over the counter if its matching numbers get it reconditioned.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:34 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Do you get any sound when you turn the key such as a 'click'?
If not it could be the starter solenoid, poor connection or an ignition switch.
I would check voltage at the "S" terminal of the solenoid when someone turns the dey to start and see if you have battery voltage there.
Joe
Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by tbarb

You and others can fix this issue very easily with a small relay that's available at the local auto parts store. The wire from the ignition switch goes to power the relay, the relay is wired with full 12volts and when the relay makes the full 12v goes to the solenoid. Four wires and your done, the little relay is just larger than 1 inch square. I installed one on my tractor and no more problems..
I have five Cub Cadets with the Kohler Command eninge in them. Four of the five had that problem you describe and all four have a small relay that bypasses the safety switch/wiring resistance issue.

Last edited by MikeM; 07-21-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I have five Cub Cadets with the Kohler Command eninge in them. Four of the five had that problem you describe and all four have a small relay that bypasses the safety switch/wiring resistance issue.

You know exactly what I'm talking about then, it's so simple and only costs a few dollars.

The wire that normally goes to the solenoid just makes the small relay and it still runs through the safety switches because it requires such little voltage to pull the relay in.

Get notified of new replies

To starter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: starter