C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 15+ year old brake pads with plenty of pad left still good??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:06 PM
jscott6
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 15+ year old brake pads with plenty of pad left still good??

The brake pads on my vette have not been changed in 15+ years but there is still plenty of pad left (4 wheel disk). The mechanic I asked said they are fine because of the amount of pad remaining. I know there are a very wide variety of pads available, but I would replace them with ACDelco professional organics or something similar. Was wondering if those new pads would increase the stopping ability (compared to 15 year old pads) or would I have to go up to a performance (Hawk, etc) pad.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't know why you'd touch them if the pads are unglazed, not cracked or squeaking, not soaked in any fluid with plenty of meat on them...
Old 07-25-2017, 06:10 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Pads and shoe linings don't go bad with mere age. They need to get heat cracked, glazed, or contaminated to 'go bad'. I'm running the original 34 year old rear brake shoes on my '83 Toyota 4x4 with 275,000 miles on it.....and they have about 40% lining left. Have run 70 year old brake linings on antique cars of mine in the past.....not an issue.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Oh, and give your mechanic a hug, there aren't many that wouldn't talk an owner into a brake job and new pads with the extra juicy "Corvette surcharge" tacked onto the bill..

Sounds like a keeper...
Old 07-25-2017, 06:26 PM
jscott6
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks

Just what I needed to know. Going to leave them on and keep rollin.
Thanks
Old 07-26-2017, 10:04 AM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Oh, and give your mechanic a hug, there aren't many that wouldn't talk an owner into a brake job and new pads with the extra juicy "Corvette surcharge" tacked onto the bill..

Sounds like a keeper...
Got that right !!!!.... Just came back from the Toyota dealer to have a recall repair done on my daily driver. Just as I was wrapping up, a woman was with the 'Service Consultant' and he was explaining to her that he had good news.. 'that noise from your rear (she had a RAV 4) is not the differential, just a relatively minor repair of rear brake pads needed'. He then proceeded to continue with the 'good news' that 'if it only needs pads and rotors, the estimate will be $895'. The woman said 'I am so relieved.. thank you so much !'.

I wanted to tell her the only thing you are being 'relieved of' is about $700 dollars.. run for your life (wallet) lady now !!!!!!

Last edited by 65GTO; 07-26-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:36 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GTO
Got that right !!!!.... Just came back from the Toyota dealer to have a recall repair done on my daily driver. Just as I was wrapping up, a woman was with the 'Service Consultant' and he was explaining to her that he had good news.. 'that noise from your rear (she had a RAV 4) is not the differential, just a relatively minor repair of rear brake pads needed'. He then proceeded to continue with the 'good news' that 'if it only needs pads and rotors, the estimate will be $895'. The woman said 'I am so relieved.. thank you so much !'.

I wanted to tell her the only thing you are being 'relieved of' is about $700 dollars.. run for your life (wallet) lady now !!!!!!
The Toyota dealer did an airbag recall on my Tundra this year and keep on soliciting me for $119 oil changes (with FREE tire rotation!), as well as other service work (that I don't need). Amazing what the general public will pay for simple service on newer vehicles. The latest and greatest scam is the fluid flushing campaign.....totally unwarranted and not needed. But a way to generate easy money.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The local Dodge dealer wanted to charge my daughter about $900 for front and rear complete brake service. I did it for about $250...

I have to say my Toyota dealer has some oil change and tire deals cheaper than anywhere else. Bought four tires $100 cheaper than Walmart - I couldn't believe it...
Old 07-26-2017, 11:07 AM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
The Toyota dealer did an airbag recall on my Tundra this year and keep on soliciting me for $119 oil changes (with FREE tire rotation!), as well as other service work (that I don't need). Amazing what the general public will pay for simple service on newer vehicles. The latest and greatest scam is the fluid flushing campaign.....totally unwarranted and not needed. But a way to generate easy money.
Haaaa !!!! I got exactly the same 'push' for getting a $119 oil change (full synthetic was the selling point) while I was there !!!! I told him 'a little steep there yeah... for an oil change ????' and gave him the look that he had 'no sale'. But one does get to sit in those cafe's they had, eating bagels and drinking coffee. That must be where the other $80 comes in
Old 07-26-2017, 11:44 AM
61corv
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

My 61 is still running the original rear shoes. It is funny that when you work on your own stuff how shocked you are to see what people are paying.

I took my daughters Honda cr-v in to have the A/C compressor replaced, They changed the way they talked to me when they saw my shirt said Aircraft Maintenance on it. "The kid" behind the counter turned pale when I said I have been doing it for 32 years. They changed 3 before they found one that was quiet and operated smoothly. And that was factory parts.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:47 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I run brake shoes until they are worn out, cracked, glazed, or other wise not serviceable. Age has nothing to do with it.

Our Subaru dealer tried to tell us the battery went flat in the 14 Outback because we left the rear dome light in the "OFF" position. Corporate Subaru put in a new battery after the second jump and my phone call to the east coast asking for the recall notice on that one.

When my wife bought it, the service manager sold my wife the extended four year warrantee for about $1400 which extends the new car warrantee by only one year. After a little education of the better half, she called and told them where to stick it and got her money back.

We just got a notice that the Consumer Reports best buy for years has a problem with the CVT transmission and the warrantee is now extended to 100,000 miles. The only car I have ever owned that puked a transmission before 100K was a 99 Dodge Durango POS.

I wanted to keep the 07 Impala that she was afraid would break down with slightly under 100,000 miles. The 07 got better mileage, better handling, better ride, better AC, better power, better and better everything. But, it was her car and her call.

Last edited by R66; 07-26-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:41 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I had the same decision to make when I pulled my car out of a 35 year storage.
I decided to re-use them as they looked barely used... Although I did replace the master, slave, and all the brake lines..

Still stopping fine after 4 years and ~4K miles!
Old 07-27-2017, 04:56 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I have a couple of bins on the shelf. One with used midyear Corvette pads and some with drum brake shoes from '60's Chevy II, Camaro, Chevelle, Corvair. All pulled off in the '60's or early '70's.

I'd use any of them on a car if need be.

Get notified of new replies

To 15+ year old brake pads with plenty of pad left still good??

Quick Reply: [C2] 15+ year old brake pads with plenty of pad left still good??